Riven Build Guide by Smuttypoonmonsta
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Main rune set
Other runes worth considering.
Greater Seal of Evasion
Not as strong overall as an armor seal, but, if you go full dodge runes with dodge masteries and Ninja Tabi, you will be dodging quit often. Having a rune set with this in it for ranked is ideal for any tank if you know you’re coming up against high attack speed units such as Xin Zhao or most carries.
How to use your abilities
A simple passive that becomes a strong source of damage once you get even a bit of attack damage.
- Best used in between combo strikes in Broken Wings. Do your best to keep the stacks from being at max (3).
This is your primary ability on Riven. A three part combo that ends in an AOE knock up. When used, each individual use of the combo gives a stack of Runic Blade therefore making it ideal to pause between each hit to allow an auto attack.
- Two methods to go about using this. Primary method is to allow auto attack hits in between for damage to be maximized while the other is defensive or gank usage. Rushing to the final strike to get a knock up can buy precious time in conjunction with your Ki Burst for a kill or saving a team mate.
- Remember, this ability will either go in the direction you are facing or what enemy target your cursor is on. Keep this in mind so you do not go off in a direction that leads you away from an enemy you are after.
- This a great escape tool on top of your Valor.
A short albeit effective AOE stun with a range equivalent to Riven’s melee range with her ultimate active.
- If you’re against enemies with channeled ultimate abilities (Katarina for example) this can stop them dead. The damage isn’t too shabby either and could be used for a solid initiation to a fight to disrupt an enemy.
- While it is a short duration, don’t let that restrict you from saving your team mates while running. If you can get in and stun then Broken Wings away, it can easily save an endangered team mate.
- A great initiation or retreat skill. Great to escape with if you use Ki Blast prior to dashing out or dashing into the enemy to stun and using Broken Wings to escape after.
- Don’t underestimate your shield. It can be a saver especially when inflicted with Ignite or other dots. Also, can be useful against AOE or Global Ultimate abilities (think Karthus).
- Using the second half of this ability to hit a group of enemies or fleeing enemies can be very beneficial. The damage itself is moderate.
- Best to use it mid Valor dash when going into an enemy to maximize the effectiveness of its passive duration.
Good armor, health and health regen for early lane phase into the end of laning. This will remove the early game squishy that Riven has.
Getting your movement speed early will open up the ability to pull off earlier ganks and lane kills. This will help you get in and stun into Broken Wings combo which should allow plenty of time to kill non tanks. The tenacity is needed against all CC to ensure it doesn’t break your Q combo.
Health, attack damage and a chance to slow the enemy. This is where you start becoming beefy enough to take the hits from two, maybe three enemies while your team kills them. The slow will help for chasing if it procs and the attack damage will always help you hurt them.
Good health, good attack damage and a slow on hit. This is a good tank item for a champion that also needs to put out some damage. In the mid game, this will be amazing.
The CDR is important for getting your Ki Burst and Valor up as soon as possible but it also provides some important Armor and of course, the much needed Mana Bar to confuse your enemies. This will also become a Forzen Heart later in the game.
Armor, health and a passive AOE that will be inflicting damage while you are on top of the enemy. With the Broken Wings combo and Valor to get in on top of them, this item will have plenty of hits on them.
Atma’s Impaler Between the Frozen Heart and Sunfire Cape along with your Quints, this should be giving you a good 50-60 attack damage and more armor to sustain yourself against carries. Getting this will give you a damage boost into the late game that will continue to make you tanky yet put out solid damage.
During the lane phase, try to lane with an AD carry. Riven has no form of ranged attack so having someone behind you to discourage harassment is always nice. Having your ranged partner harassing them will open up the opportunity to kill them once you have Valor, Ki Burst and Broken Wings.
Try coming out of the bushes with a Valor or Broken Wings into a Ki Burst then finish the Broken Wings Combo. If you don’t come out with Valor, use it to gap close if they are low and be killed or to dash and stun again.
Remember though, protect your carry. Spamming Q to disrupt their aggression or to make them target you is important.
Don’t be afraid to take a few minion kills if you are doing well though since I do not recommend GP/5 items for Riven since she can jungle fairly well around level five and that they turn into nothing incredibly useful for her either.
In a team fight, you should make sure the team is there with you of course. Focus on protecting your team as opposed to dealing damage. Between Ki Burst and Broken Wings, you can protect your squishy team mates fairly well. Use Dash to initiate for the shield and follow up on cooldown or save it to get to your ranged in a hurry to protect them.
Remember to use your Ult near the start for increased damage and using the AOE on a group is ideal.