Teemo Build Guide by Equitus
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Teemo can utilize Attack Speed items, on-hit effect items, and Attack Damage items to do very high damage. Pair this with his map control, speed burst, and a build that adds to his survivability and you are left with a very viable champion that is not incredibly difficult to use.
Welcome. This is how I play Teemo, please comment if you have any suggestions or concerns.
Greater Mark of Alacrity: Attack Speed is very important to this guide. The faster Teemo attacks, the more his AD heavy auto attacks hit, and the more his passive E ability can apply poison and slows.
Greater Seal of Resilience: It is necessary to have a little armor because Teemo is bound to be targeted somewhat often. Flat armor helps early game because low level fights are somewhat reliant on auto attacks, and hits from surrounding minions. In addition to the Doran's Blades, this will help you to be effective early.
Greater Glyph of Shielding: This follows in the same logic as the armor seals, except that Magic Resistance is more important late game.
Greater Quintessence of Desolation: These quints will help your auto attacks hit hard. Additionally, the flat armor pen makes your early combos really sting.
Masteries are a little tricky with Teemo. It is important to pick a tree which gives you stats that are applicable.
I do not see the Offensive Tree as particularly useful because it focuses on AP and Crit too much. AP does not scale well with Teemo, and critical strikes do not play a major role in this quide.
I do not see Utility as a very viable choice either. One reason is because I do not believe that Cooldown Reduction is very useful for Teemo. First, he has a passive, so it can only affect 3 abilities. That instantly makes it less useful. Second, you will not play many shrooms, or use Move Quickly often during a fight. These are used strategically before and after encounters, or as escapes. While CDR would give you more Blinding Darts, I do not believe it is worth it.
This leaves Defense. I use a fairly standard Defense build which gives Teemo much better survivability at all points of the game. This helps if you are running around planting shrooms, dueling early game, or getting targeted in a pivotal team fight.
1. Doran's Blade - This is a fantastic all-around early game item. It will give you added damage, survivability, and the ability to lane longer with life steal.
2. 2nd Doran's Blade - (See Item 1) x2
3. Mercury's Treads - I believe that Tenacity is a must for any character. If your oppenents really do not have much CC, I suggest Berserker's Greaves.
4. Madred's Bloodrazor - Getting this early has a number of benefits. First, you get some addded armor to help bulk up. Second, you can farm creeps even faster. Third, as the game develops, this allows you to crush tanks.
4% Damage Proc x 2 Hits per second = 8% of total health DPS before abilities and AD.
5. Frozen Mallet - This keeps enemies closer to you. In addition to slowing effects from your passive, this will help you keep enemies within reach, and gives you added health incase they decide to attack.
6. The Black Cleaver - AD, AS, and armor reduction. Need I say more?
7. Sell 1st Doran's Blade, Buy Last Whisper - AD and Armor Pen. By now you are doing some serious damage without even using an active ability. Just stand and fire.
8. Sell 2nd Doran's Blade, Buy Phantom Dancer - Attack speed and movement speed with a little crit on top.
I take Blinding Dart and Move Quickly first because they give Teemo added functionality. The passive DoT is simply added damage. Therefore, I want to get all of Teemos actual abilities, then stack the poison.
1. (R) Mushrooms! - Its an ultimate ability, so you focus it first. Shrooms should be used on CD to add map control. I cannot stress this enough. Use them as you push, use them to protect bushes near your turret, use them at exit points for team fights, use them early and often.
2. (E) Poison - This helps add damage to each of your auto attacks. With added attack speed, this will hit often. Attack Speed functions as Cooldown Reduction for this great skill.
3. (Q) Blind Dart - A nice long distance poke, or Blinding hit against melee. Plus it does pretty good damage. Can be used to last hit if need be.
4. (W) Move Quickly - A nice speed burst for use out of combat. It can occasionally get you out of a bad situation, but its primarily for placing shrooms and scouting.
Passive - Teemo has a very good passive ability. If you can slip away from a team fight with low health, all you need to do is stand still for a couple uninterrupted seconds, and you will be invisible. Be careful of skill shots and AoEs, however, because you are not indestructible, just invisible.
The passive has another interesting use that I should mention. If you start with boots and "Move Quickly", you can instantly sprint out in the middle of a lane and wait for an enemy champion to pass you. Hidden between him and his turret, you can spring forward and use your passive speed burst to do some damage.
Flash - A nice escape mechanism, or a good finisher in combination with Ignite and Blinding Dart.
Ignite - Good Finisher when used with your passive poison. Great spell synergy.
Other Valid Choices:
Ghost- Good for quick escape or to get around the map quickly.
Teleport - This spell works well with Teemo because you can teleport to a shroom. Late game, it can be beneficial to place a shroom deep in the enemy jungle, then teleport there to bring down a turret.
Exhaust - Can work well with your other slows to keep enemies in range for a kill. It can also be used with move quickly to run away when a fight goes bad.
Pros / Cons
EASY! Just stand and shoot
Abilities/Items/Runes/etc work well together
Great Map Control
Not heavily dependant on mana or cooldown
Positioning is key during fights.
Occasional mana issues when placing many shrooms.
Creeping / Jungling
After mid-game, you will be able to jungle fairly quickly if you want to pick up a couple buffs, or bring down the dragon. Your shrooms, in combination with Madreds, can be very effective against creeps.
You will also be able to level an entire group of creeps very quickly. Just place a shroom in the middle, sit back and pick them off.
Being that Teemo is somewhat of a support character, team work is very important.
Use your shrooms often so that your team can:
1. Know where the enemy is when they pass by.
2. Face enemies with less health as they receive damage from the shrooms.
3. Mark of important locations such as Baron, the Dragons, and gank points.
4. Take control of the bushes in the top and bottom lanes.
5. Get kills of fleeting enemies that run into a well placed shroom (nothing is more frustrating for an enemy than barely slipping out of a fight alive, only to run over a Teemo mushroom)
Just a note, this rotation will give you great burst damage:
Auto Attack > Blinding Dart (Q) > Auto Attack
Blinding Dart resets your auto attack allowing for some quick burst damage.
I like to use this in the early stages of the game as it allows you to step up and harass well.