Build Guide by Lord Nullify
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
So to begin I am going to say that out of all the Online experiences League of Legends has drawn me and my friends in the greatest fashion so kudos to you Riot for taking a game experience and leading it to a new and exciting place. Because of this I have begun to play on a regular basis and have grown as a player and have allowed myself to be a little more critical of certain things because I have had the time to break them down.
This is by far my favorite champion in terms of game play and versatility on the normal games, while he cannot boast the complete carry ability he can shutdown and even cripple an enemy teams carry in fantastic fashion and I want to try and cover that later on. First lets break down some of his abilities.
Baleful Strike - Active: Unleashes dark energy at target enemy dealing 80/125/170/215/260 (+0.6) magic damage. If the target is killed, Veigar gains 1 ability power.
Passive: Veigar gains 1/2/3/4/5 ability power when he kills a champion from any source of damage.
- While BS cannot boast the same versatility of a Disintegrate it can boast the ability to steamroll into a massive ap boost and early game if played correctly can have you leaving your lane with 40 to 50 more ap than you started. If runed with the right mindset you can spam this spell because of your passive when it is up allowing you to last hit minions to a level 6 kill spell as strong if not stronger than your fellow casters which I will explain later in my ulti discussion. This is your greatest weapon early game and you must treat Veigar as a sleeping tiger in this aspect, holding your rage for level 6 like annie and tibbers for that kill that is destined to be.
Dark Matter - Veigar calls a great mass of dark matter to fall from the sky to the target location, dealing magic damage when it lands.
After 1.2 seconds, dark matter falls from the sky to the target location, dealing 120/170/220/270/320 (+1) magic damage.
- Here is Veigars 1st skill ability, this spell and I cannot express this enough is why people hate to play Veigar and get stuck sitting around at a tower doing nothing wishing they were playing annie or aniva. While late game this spell is to be feared boasting a complete addition of ap to its dmg, early game its too expensive and risky to use effectively so dont. Farm ap with BS and when the time comes and your event horizon is a decent enough stun that you can guarantee it lands you will be glad you now have 40+ ap instead of 10 creep kills or a Garen that took dmg he is going to regenerate anyways. Trust me you want to spend your points elsewhere till later, like after 3/4 levels in EH. People with merc treads make this combo harder to pull off so waiting is a good idea and its too mana intensive of a combo to be viable early anyways even with mp/5 runes.
Event Horizon - Veigar twists the edges of space around the target location for 3 seconds, stunning enemies who pass through the perimeter for a short duration.
Veigar twists the edges of space around the target location for 3 seconds, stunning enemies who pass through the perimeter for 1.5/1.75/2/2.25/2.5 seconds.
- Here is the every champions control/cc/utility ability and in perfect fashion establishes you as a threat in any match. Ok so this is a complicated ability to use correctly and will separate the truly fearsome Veigar from the scared lil boys throwing their spells around with no real plan to speak of. This is by far your best ability and it does no damage, and here it is why its the best. Using EH is a combination of timing and placement and there is no perfect formula for using it besides making sure u get them on the edges of it when you place and other than that you just need to get out there and play Veigar and gain the mettle and nerves to play it for clutch defense and flash EH for those offensive chases. Its the spell that sets you apart from other casters and its utility is priceless.
Primordial Burst - Blasts target enemy champion, dealing magic damage plus the combined AP of Veigar and his target.
Blasts an enemy champion, dealing 250/375/500 (+1) plus his target's AP in magic damage.
- Say hello to the mightiest single target nuke in the game for AP characters, they will learn to fear you and rightly so, all those lvl 18 1800 hp and other light hp char with no MR get a might dose of 60% of their hp in 1 nuke end game depending on the build that evolves based off the team I range from 800 to 1000 ap, this means that PB is capping out at 1300 to 1600 and that isnt adding their ap to the dmg, add the EH DM combo and you have a crazy amount of dmg coming out of veigar. Using this spell I have caught a light hp char with cage and 2 shot them making a 5v5 a 4v5 in 3 spells without engaging; usually its a high dmg dealer like Ashe or MF and is a big upset in team fights. This is really your goal if you can pull it off but be wary not to over commit else you will get punished for your arrogance.
Veigar Summoner Spells
- Ghost = Good for chasing down people for the clutch force cage and sometimes escaping, but can be unreliable as an escape mechanic but a good low level player summoner spell
- Flash = Heard they are removing it in the near future but this skill in the hands of a strong player is amazing its the pro's version of ghost.
- Ignite = Great kill spell when they need that last bit of dps // MUST for Tryn kills when he is Raged
- Teleport = Better than Clarity in my opinion because it's a 7 sec full mana and hp then you are back in your lane.
- Clarity = Good for going I have spells and I am going to spam them gameplay.
- Here is a list of items you want to go with on Veigar. Over the 100+ games I have played on the little guy I have fine tuned my itemization to provide max rewards and survivability when playing. Keep in mind you need to watch the other teams items and build accordingly to combat high MR and know who has merc treads and quicksilver sashes so you dont get caught thinking you caught a player only to be sadly mistaken.
Early Game Items 1-10 minutes
-Meki Pendant - this is for a early game Tear of the Goddess which will pretty much with your passive make being out of mana a thing of the past. The only downside is its a pretty basic item and provides nothing other than regen. Only pick up if you have had a few strong games with Veigar and can handle the low hp. Experts only!!
-Dorans Ring - Versitile, Cheap, and Amazing. 2 less mp/5 than Meki but 120 hp and 10 ap makes this a strong buy perfect for Beginners through Experts on Veigar. I almost always make it a first buy.
-Sapphire Crystal - 200 mana and also can lead to a Tear of the Goddess but the Meki is way better .. stick with the meki if you're going to go the road less traveled.
-Boots of Speed - You don't have a strong early game attk dmg or a spell worth fearing so they can be handy to stay out of range of fast chars like Yi or Jax... depends on the team but a good choice.
-Amplifying Tome - Never really picked one up .. maybe if you are bad at last hitting minions and its always by 10 dmg or something but really the mp/5 and hp of Dorans isn't worth just 10 more ap.
-Anything else is garbage for Veigar so don't buy it
Mid Game Items 11-25 minutes
- Tear of the Goddess - Great Item on Veigar the mana keeps you constantly casting plus a good change to an Archangel Staff late game.
- Sorceror Shoes - These are your main form of movement increase and with the 20 magic pen you can make sure those non MR builders are paying for it with full dmg spells.
- Mejais Soulstealer- This is your item, A lot of people claim its a risky buy and its cost could be better placed elsewhere unless you are winning. Ya if you arent winning does it even matter, kill people get stacks and play conservative so you keep them. End of story.
- Deathfire Grasp - I cannot express to you the value of this item no matter the team setup. A true dmg percentage based nuke makes tanks that are geared almost manageable as Veigar. This clickable item is a game winner and part of the Veigar combo I use to drop anyone in 4 spells plus a well place EH. Its worth ever piece of gold and is a big part of playing Veigar
- Haunting guise - I personally think this is a wasted item on Veigar . If you are going to for MPen then go Void Staff. Possibly early game if you are playing a Garen & Galio combo or something this item might be a must but still not sold.
- Rod of Ages - this is a must buy for me when playing an Annie or Fiddlesticks but on Veigar I can never find a place for it. Still a massively powerful caster staff, its really choice for survivability instead of dps. Really depends who you are fighting but a solid item all around if you are looking for a lil longer time in the fray.
Late Game Items 11-25 minutes
- Zhonyas - This ring has 3 priceless effects 25% AP boost, short duration no target no dmg buff and 125 AP. The core final item .. Huge AP .. Huge Defensive plays, all win all the time.
- Rylai - Slows are very tempting on a caster but honestly 15% on DM and 35% on PB and BS not going to be the difference in you getting away or not so I really rarely ever pick it up on Veigar
- Void Staff - If they got MR and you are having problems getting in this is your item, strong MR reduction for those 200+ Garens / Galios. After they see your dmg potential early game and you are 9/1/10 this will be your next buy always happens and it will help you get over the hump for those MR Tanks
- Lich Bane - I have gotten this before with a huge snowball AP game and seen melee hits for 800+, only problem is on Veigar he has such a short attack range you have to get way too close to use it and it puts you in a bad spot and you can pull 80 AP from another item with comparable benefits. Be wary of it but its a very nice addition to a completed build end game if used with common sense.
- Archangel Staff - I have done some itemization research and 4 of these Zhonyas Ring and MR boots = 1100 AP on Veigar late game but its so weak early game I wouldnt. Just stick to 1 from converting your Tear of the Goddess to this nice staff and you will be just fine, but make sure you do it later in the game and get DFG and Zhonyas before you drop the tear to the Staff.
Your place on the Field of Battle
- The current Meta game is as such Team Fights and Passive Lane Play. Veigar fits into 1 of the 2 perfectly. Veigar loves to passively farm because of Baleful Strike, when you are able to farm perfectly in a lane I can leave a lane with Dorans ring having close to 65/79 AP easily before I ever have to move back to purchase my first item. This is the crucial part of Veigars game play, you have to have overwhelming power verses opponents because if you dont, you will be crushed easily and hence why Veigar isnt picked. In team fights your are great at making an opportunity with EH and after the aftermath of the battle you can continue to use EH to seal up those last minute kills. BS and PB will always be your consistent heavy hitter but any Warwick/Yi/Xin/Anyone with good squishy killing power will hurt you bad for being so close to the fray so use it the best of your ability but dont get greedy.
- Early Game - Passive game play
- Mid Game - Passive game play unless its a AP Char then get your easy kill
- Late Game - Hurt People