Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Spell Shield's Blocking Peculiarities

Creator: Biperspectival April 29, 2017 10:20am
Biperspectival
<Member>
Biperspectival's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2017 10:20am | Report
Hi folks. I've been playing Sivir for a little while, and I had a couple of questions about how "spell shield" works. I've made a short summary of stuff it does and doesn't work for.
Blocks:
Doesn't Block:

+ Point and click abilities. - Damage Over Time.

+ Skillshots. These can be AoE or limited target. - Ground Effects.

+ Mines/triggered abilities. - It can't cancel active abilities. So, once Vi ults you, she'll go towards you, but you block her knockup.

+ The end of channeled abilities. - In fact, it will still register you as "hit." That is, Leona will still dash towards with Zenith Blade, and Starcall will still heal Soraka. However, you won't take damage or cc.

Is there any underlying theme here? Does it just block damage and cc, but any secondary effects go through? I'm kind of confused.
LevasK
<Member>
LevasK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2017 12:51pm | Report
Sivir's Spell Shield blocks the first ability effect that hits her.

DoTs do not get blocked, because, if they've already been applied, the ability has hit you, before the shield could stop it, the lingering status effect is already on you, so it's not an incoming ability. (You could view it as getting shot with an arrow and bleeding from the wound, if you raise your shield after you've already been shot, it's not really gonna stop the bleeding)

Ground effects, well, affect the ground and not you, so it wouldn't make sense if you could block them, similar to terrain altering abilities like Cataclysm, you can't really use E and walk past the wall, because it's not something that's trying to hit you.

Vi's Cease and Desist only locks onto you and then she, herself, moves to a location, thus none of this is directly affecting you, until the ultimate connects, which is when your Spell Shield will prevent the damage and the CC. (Similar to the shield and arrow example, you can think of this effect as the Archer taking aim, even if you raise your shield, it's not going to prevent him/her from aiming, however, it will block the arrow)

The last example is pretty self explanatory, those abilities did connect with you, they just didn't apply their primary effects, since those got blocked, however, the conditions for the secondary effects were met.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Biperspectival
<Member>
Biperspectival's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2017 11:13am | Report
Understood. Thank you.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide