Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Riot's response to the 3rd party app controversy

Creator: Alan LaFleur May 6, 2014 5:43pm
Alan LaFleur
<Content Team>
Alan LaFleur's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 6, 2014 5:43pm | Report

Last week we talked about the use of 3rd party apps being the cause of bans in the Latin American servers. Everyone brought up really good points from both sides of the debate but now Riot HQ officially stated their position. Here is the summary of what RiotSargonas said:

Quoted:

A summary

Ultimately we recognize that our initial third party application policies were unclear, so we’re clarifying them in line with a few core philosophies:

1.) The League of Legends in-game experience should be consistent and fair.
2.) We strive to make League of Legends the most sportsmanlike competitive game.
3.) We want the community to be empowered to contribute to the League of Legends experience.

This has allowed us to formulate a more comprehensive policy for third party applications:

No software should interfere with the League of Legends player experience between when you press “Play” and the end of game screen.

We always want to improve League of Legends in the best ways possible, so this will be an ongoing project, but we think that as long as we adhere to our core philosophies, we can uphold this policy.

In the announcement of the Curse Voice open beta today, Curse had this response:

Quoted:
Based on a recent announcement from Riot, and our desire to always remain in compliance with their wishes, we have taken the proactive step of removing Ultimate, Dragon, and Baron timers as well as the ability to join a voice session without being prompted. We've always loved and respected League of Legends and Riot and trust the game designers to make the right choices for the game.

Also, if you are worried about being banned for using the application in the past or still having it on your computer, Riot issued this response:

Quoted:
Fear not, we will not be going through and punishing anyone who used it in the past, or even 5 minutes after we posted this. This is just the first stage of messaging on the matter, and we will have more to come in the coming days next week as we update other points, like our TOU and other channels. In the meantime we will not be immediately punishing anyone as we make the policy clear, though we do encourage those using it to stop. The door always remains open for Curse to modify the app in ways that do not violate the above policy as well, at which point it would no longer be a concern.

Also, Sargonas replied to a later question about the use of smartphone applications that track timers by saying that it would be pretty stupid for Riot to try and tell you what you can and cannot do on your phone while in game. Also, there would be no way to track it.

I commend Riot on this decision. However, there was a lot good about the program and other programs that should possibly be in the game. For example, one can argue that keeping track of dragon, baron, and buff respawns is not a skillful part of the game and that visual timers should already be added to the game. In fact, another game did just that, here is how Smite implemented it:

The problem with timers through 3rd party applications is that not everyone uses them. However, a timer could easily be added in a quality-of-life update for the game.

I know some of you have already started discussing Riot's decision in this thread but I wanted to bring more attention to this decision since some of our community might be using these type of apps. So I want to know, what do you think about Riot's decision? Do you feel like they should add things like timers to the game interface?
Heyhowsitgoing
<Member>
Heyhowsitgoing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 6, 2014 10:26pm | Report
This was for the best, it did seem a little unfair not having to write down dragon/baron/ult timers if the other team had to. At any level of play this allows the initiator to know when the best time is, looking at everyone's available ultimate, which is why communication and teamwork are so important. Hopefully Riot can implement a little bit of this into the game in the future for all players
Bless Your Face
Chest3r
<Member>
Chest3r's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2014 8:14am | Report
In my opinion, it's for the best too... For example I haven't used Curse Voice and other people in my team said that they will report me cause I don't have it.. It's little embarassing cause this happens with diamond players, and I dont't think that a third party application should be so important, cause of some timers..

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide