Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Haunting Guise - a very situational item

Creator: Yagamoth May 14, 2011 5:11pm
1 2 3 4
Yagamoth
<Member>
Yagamoth's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2011 5:11pm | Report
Greetings,

looking only at the damage output - I just finished a small spreadsheet that tells me, how much AP is required to be more worthwhile than a Haunting Guise (only considering the Resist-Reduction of HG). In conclusion I would say: HG is too situational to be really used effectively. Let me show you why:

To find out, how much AP is required to be better than HG, you need to consider the following variables:
- Spell Base Damage (The higher, the better HG is)
- Spell AP Ratio (The lower, the better HG is)
- Current AP (The higher, the better HG is)
- Enemy Magic resistance (The lower, the better HG is - but if he has less than 20 already through e.g. Sorcerer Boots, it's value is diminished greatly)

This ignores that:
- It's only ONE enemy (Consider the Resist on your primary targets)
- It's only ONE ability (Consider how much you use which abilities and take the avg. of those AP ratios)
- It's a very specific time in the game (The earlier the better for HG)

Sidenote: What many people don't know/don't care about: Sorcerer Boots kind of suffer from the same issue, since they give the same bonus. But: They are fairly cheap and give the vital walkspeed boost.

Now, how do you decide whether you get a Haunting Guise or not? I tried to figure out some rule of thumbs.
Mindset: You want to deal as much magical Damage as possible, ignoring all other things:

Get it:
- Before the enemies have Megatron Cloaks+
- Before ~15-20mins
- Directly after Rabadons (unless you have poor AP ratios such as Maokai, the simply after Sorcerer Boots)

Thoughts?

Actually, HG seems to be a perfect midgame item, where the enemy Damage Dealer (Magical or physical) don't have a lot of Resist yet, but actually a little (like Mercury Treads or another item involving a Null-Magic Mantel). It's like the Dorans items, it gives you a decent temporary boost you would sell later. But, it's too expensive to really handle it that way.
"I'd love to write a guide about 'getting out of elo hell', but I can't find a way to get in there.."
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2011 6:18pm | Report
if you're playing a mage with low ratios it tends to be better to get pen over ap.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 15, 2011 12:35am | Report
People often fail to realize that most "low" ratios actually aren't low. Ratios are low if they have less than about 0.24 per 100 base damage.

Haunting guise is a very lacking item. You have to PAY for all the aspects of it. You hardly get any stats for free. Most other items give free stats when completed. HG doesn't. That sucks.
"He cooked cake." - MrCuddowls

"Oh forget it, I have nothing to hid, I admit it, 12 hours of every single day of my life ever since I was eleven years old have been anal sex with canoes" - MrCuddowls
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 15, 2011 1:27am | Report
ok.. so would you give an example of a 'low' ratio?
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 15, 2011 1:33am | Report
"I walked up to her big butt and asked her *** butt what." - Lil Wayne, lyrical genius

"I can't decide where I stand on abortion, on one hand it is killing children, on the other it gives women a choice." - ???
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 15, 2011 1:43am | Report
Ratios are low if they have less than about 0.24 per 100 base damage.

ok well pyroclasm has 50% ratio on 350 base damage.. well **** thats only 14.2something%

so basically.. a low ratio would be less than 24% ratio for each 100 base damage?

ie

100 base is 24%
200 base is 48%
300 base is 72%
400 base is 96%
500 base is 120%

ok now thats starting to sound ridiculous.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 15, 2011 2:43am | Report
Yea, it's around 22% to 24% I draw the line.

PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 15, 2011 5:35am | Report
Isn't the problem with HG that it is not a very cost effective item?
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 15, 2011 7:14am | Report
so basically if the ratio is less than a quarter of the base damage then its a low ratio. huh.

and yeah for the recipe cost of 575, you get 20 health, 5 ap, and 20 magic pen.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 15, 2011 4:40pm | Report
You basically pay about 430g for the 20MrP. Often now worth it compared to other items.
"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." - Albert Bandura

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our futures." - Edward Snowden
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide