Twisted Fate Build Guide by DeX0n
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Twisted Fate Build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
● Due to Wild Cards having one of the highest non-global non-ultimate range in-game, he can harass very well. This makes him a good pick for mid lane. While the projectiles are slow moving, the long range of the cards often catch enemies by surprise. Additionally, the projectiles, unlike many skillshots and pokes, will pass through minions, and even do damage as multiple targets are passed. This disallows opponents from blocking with their waves.
With some ability power, using Red Card and Wild Cards on a wave of minions makes Twisted Fate nearly unrivaled in pushing and clearing quickly.
Use this to gank other lanes with Destiny, as your minions will be pushed up to ensure your turret will be safe until you walk back to it.
● Pick a Card has multiple utilities. Blue Card can help Twisted Fate stay in lane longer as he regains mana back more quickly. Gold Card is very useful when chasing down an enemy or when ganking since it stuns the enemy it hits. Red Card can help Twisted Fate push, farm, gank, or chase down an enemy because it deals splash damage and slows the targets hit.
The three different cards in Pick a Card are in a set rotation. Blue Card, then Red Card, then Gold Card, and it repeats; the starting card may differ each time you use Pick a Card, but it will always follow that rotation. This rotation is very important to allow you to predict the time it will take for you to lock in a card and throw it.
● Twisted Fate is relatively fragile (squishy) so make sure you keep your distance. Twisted Fate is capable of repeatedly stunning one opponent (with Gold Card) or slowing multiple opponents (with Red Card) every few seconds, even more often with cooldown reduction from Stacked Deck. Abuse this while chasing, ganking and escaping pursuers.
● Stacked Deck provides a lot of cooldown reduction. Combined with Crest of the Ancient Golem and masteries it is very easy to get max cooldown reduction.
The abilities of Twisted Fate may have low cooldowns, but an ability power-focused Twisted Fate is nonetheless highly vulnerable while his abilities cooldown. Avoid committed fights against enemies with a current health count that you can't easily burst down with Pick a Card and Wild Cards, as AP Twisted Fate will almost certainly lost them.
● Destiny and Gate can be used to quickly backdoor enemy structures. Used in conjuction with another great backdoor ability, Pick a Card, as the bonus damage is applied to turrets, it's pretty difficult for enemies to defend.
Picking Stacked Deck as your first ability can lead to a large amount of single target damage, combined with attack speed runes, it is a very good way to get first blood. However, Gold Card helps greatly, and so waiting until you are level 2 can give you better chances of a kill.
Map awareness is key to proper use of Destiny. Look around the map carefully while farming or traveling for potential foes.
It is generally a good plan to have a card already chosen by Pick a Card before using Destiny, especially if you're going to land close to your enemy. You should lock onto Gold Card and then activate Destiny and its secondary effect, Gate, to gank an enemy. You can also use Pick a Card while channeling Gate, allowing for a faster Gate due to not having to spend time locking onto Gold Card.
Make sure not to use Pick a Card too early either, as having your Gold Card run out as you Gate will lead to embarrassment and likely a fruitless death.
Keep in mind that Destiny will pop your enemy's Banshee's Veil but this will also prevent him/her from being revealed by your ultimate (you can still use Gate though). Meaning that against a team with multiple Veils, you can use Destiny to pop their shields before a big teamfight. Be warned that fleeing low-health enemies will likely be guarded by their allies that remain invisible to your ultimate (and you will only know it after teleporting to kill them and be ganked yourself). Coordinate with your allies for the best time to use Destiny to ambush enemies.
In a pinch, try to juke your enemy and then run into a bush. If successful, pop your ultimate and start teleporting away with Gate. By the time the enemy can see you again, you should be a safe distance away.
● Twisted Fate's primary combo to harass is to activate Gold Card, walk into attack range and stun the enemy, then follow it up with Wild Cards and walk away while the enemy tries to dodge the attack. Twisted Fate can then use Blue Card to last hit while regenerating mana and do the combo all over again. This combo is not foolproof because enemies will realize when Twisted Fate activates Pick a Card and be prepared to fall back.
Farming can be really easy with TF. At first, use your autoattacks when minions are at about 50 HP. after some time, you can simply look at their health bar and tell if they can be killed with an AA or not. For when you have enough mana, use your red card on a bunch of minions, then Wild Cards. This is a really easy farming tactic. this SAME tactic can be used on the wraiths jungle camp, if you want to kill those as well.
(Innate): Twisted Fate and his allies receive an additional 2 gold per unit kill. This bonus is lost while Twisted Fate is dead.
● Loaded Dice is a passive global aura that causes unit kills by Twisted Fate and any allied champions to grant them 2 bonus gold.
The bonus gold is granted even if the killed unit has no bounty of its own (e.g. Teemo's Noxious Trap).
Insane poke. You usually need to combine this spell with Pick A Card to get the most out of it. The use of this spell changes depending on what you're doing.
In my opinion the most versatile skill in the game. Need a stun? Yellow card. Need mana? Blue card. Need to farm? Red card.
Just remember... Yellow Blue Red Yellow Blue RedPicking the right card when you need to is vital to success, and comes with practice.
When your stacked deck is ready it gives nice burst on your next autoattack. This skill will help you burst, and once it's leveled give you some nice free CDR. Sadly since we level this last you won't get the CDR for a while.
An ancient OP (for those of you who don't remember, Destiny didn't used to have a range to teleport!) now a balanced skill. You can still split push and gank from close to one lane away. I also use this to secure kills from low health targets under towers. If you didn't understand it, the first time you use R you activate the sight portion of it, the 2nd time you hit R you need to target somewhere on the map to teleport to.