Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
1. This guide is for players who are familiar with Caitlyn, I will not go in-depth with it because there are already other guides to provide this.
2. Please try the build out before you down-vote it.
3. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
4. This is my first guide on Mobafire, I haven't seen anyone else build her like this, so I thought I would share my insight with everyone.
One of the reasons Piltover is known as the City of Progress is because it has an extraordinarily low crime rate. This hasn't always been the case; brigands and thieves of all sorts used to find the city-state an ideal mark for plunder, primarily due to the valuable resources it imports to fuel its techmaturgical research. Some even theorize that it would have fallen long ago to the chaos of organized crime if not for Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover. Born the daughter of a wealthy statesman and a pioneering hextech researcher, Caitlyn discovered her natural gift for investigation when, at age 14, her father was assaulted and robbed on his way home. She snuck out of her house that night with her father's rifle and tracked down the muggers from the crime scene. At first, her parents did their best to discourage her from such risky hobbies, but she was incorrigible. Wishing to protect her daughter in the only way she knew how, Caitlyn's mother began outfitting her with techmaturgical devices tailored to her sleuthing needs.
Caitlyn quickly gained notoriety, both because she was single handedly defeating crime in Piltover and also because she soon developed into a ravishing beauty. She never backed down from a case or a challenge, and she was one of the sharpest shots in the city-state. Her services were soon requested by Demacia to help track down a mysterious outlaw who had begun committing high-profile heists. The bandit, who always left a card with an ornate 'C' at the scene of the crime, became Caitlyn's arch-nemesis. To this day, Caitlyn still searches for this cat burglar, and the chase has led her all across Valoran. She has joined the League to hone her skills and gain the influence necessary to track down the only quarry that has managed to evade her.
'Go ahead, run. I'll give you a five minute head start.'
- Caitlyn, from her book 'Target Practice'.
Credits to Rottenkrow for a lovely fanart of Caitlyn
Welcome to my Caitlyn guide. My name is Naut, I go by the name Swordphish on League of Legends. I picked Caitlyn up when she was released and I just fell in love with how great she is early game. She's one of the best harassers early-game because of her range and damage output. She may not be that great late-game, but if you can do well early game you will be fine late-game. I play her using her auto-attack and utilizing Peacemaker Piltover whenever I see the opportunity. This guide will focus on stacking crits with damage and attack speed, making her great at killing squishys, tanks, towers, and minions as long as she is not being targeted.
Pros / Cons
[*] Great harasser early game
[*] Great range: 650 will allow you to auto attack people without getting touched
[*] Huge DPS early game
[*] Her passive is like an infinity edge crit starting at lvl 1
[*] Ace in the Hole ensures a kill when 1v1 in the mid
[*] Traps in the bush are great for stopping enemies from chasing you
[*] Lack of escape abilities
[*] Very squishy
[*] Targeted most often because you're a threat
[*] Her net doesn't let her go through thick walls
[*] People can block your Ace in the Hole
[*] Doesn't do as well as other range carries late game
Level 1 Stats with Doran's Blade
Hit Point: 580
Mana Regen per 5: 7
Attack Damage: 63
Armor Pen: 31
Life Steal: 3%
Attack Speed: 0.695
Crit Chance: 2%
Movement Speed: 305
Cooldown Reduction: 8.89%
Magic Resist: 30
Ghost is pretty typical for range carries. Use it when you need to run away or get to a teammate in trouble really quickly. You can use Ghost to catchup and get a kill if you have Flash on cool-down or if you don't want to waste Flash. Most of the time if I am fighting someone 1v1 mid or 2v2 side lanes, I would ghost to ensure a kill and save Flash for escaping. Ghost and will make you pretty hard to catch. But only use that when you are in dire need to GTFO.
Flash is a must-have for any range carry. Some may argue Exhaust is useful, but I find flash to be more viable on Caitlyn. Use Flash when you are being focused on to GTFO, and then return to the fight when the enemy is no longer focused on you. You can Flash over walls to escape from pursuers. Using and Flash will almost ensure a getaway for you. Use Flash to get into range to ensure a kill with your or . But just remember that you will be vulnerable if your flash is on cooldown.
Greater Mark of Desolation x9
Greater Seal of Vitality x9
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction x9
Greater Quintessence of Desolation x3
Greater Mark of Desolation - This is pretty standard for range carry DPS. The armor pen will help you deal more damage against minions, squishys, and tanks. You start the game running 31 armor pen so enemies wont' be able to counter you at all until mid game.
Greater Seal of Vitality - I get this for Caitlyn because she's very vulnerable when she gets targeted. More health will keep her staying out in the lanes longer and being able to take more hits than the usual range carry. This suits Caitlyn much better than mana regen seals. You just have to use your skills sparingly and avoid spamming it to no end. Caitlyn farms really well so getting the levels and HP is relatively easy.
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction - More cooldown means you will be able to use your skills more often. This will help keep your ultimate on a low cooldown as well, so you can pop Ace in the Hole for the kill whenever you need it. With flat cooldown she excels early game with harassing. With your mastery you will be sporting almost 9% cooldown at the start of the game.
Greater Quintessence of Desolation - I decided to get more armor pen for quints to do keep up against tanks that will be building armor to stop me. I will only have Youmuu's Ghostblade and The Black Cleaver to counter tanks and the extra armor pen keeps me at a decent amount of armor pen so I can start stacking crits.
Caitlyn is a ranged carry, and she should be dealing scary amounts of damage at early game. I went with 21/0/9 in the offensive tree to maximize my damage. I get Alacrity and Sorcery to increase attack speed and reduce cooldowns for her skills. This is important because Caitlyn has a slow auto attack, and you want to be able to be flexible at farming and harassing early game. Sunder is just mandatory for melee dps, and I get Offensive Mastery to farm minions easier ensuring I get last hits as much as possible. Piltover Peacemaker combined with Sunder will ensure you farm very well. Deadliness and Lethality will increase Caitlyn's ability to Crit more often and Crit harder. This is stacked with Infinity Edge and youmuu's blade to ensure you DPS very well in fights. I skip Brute Force because the 3 extra attack damage isn't much of a gain. Attack damage items are easy to get anyways. I get standard Preservance to increase healing effects that will help with Doran's Blade. I get the increased exp to make sure I reach level 6 asap. And the last extra point goes into Utility Mastery to keep the buffs going longer. Caitlyn does very well at farming the lizard elder and golem with the use of the brushes near them.
- This is Caitlyn's passive, every 8th/6th/4th shot deals bonus damage, so try to save your headshots to hit champions. This stacks with Infinity Edge to deal massive damage. If you're laning top or bottom, always try control the bush and build up your headshot farming minions, then pop out and shoot champions with it.
- This is Caitlyn's main harassing ability. This is the bread to the butter of Caitlyns. Use this skill to punish champions that are not hiding behind their minions. Just remember it's a skill shot so if enemies are moving rapidly, you may have to adjust your aiming accordingly. You can farm minions very well with this skill. Just Piltover Peacemaker them and finish off the minions with your auto attacks. I don't recommend trying to shoot champions when they are hiding behind more than 1 minion, the damage mitigation is not worth wasting your mana on. This skill is very mana costly, so use it wisely. Do not rely 100% on it to get kills.
- This allows Caitlyn to setup traps that will snare and do damage to enemies. Your traps are visible so try to set them up in bushes to gain control of it and prevent ganks. If you're laning mid, setup two traps in the middle of the bushes to your sides, most champions end up walking in the middle when they enter the brush, it's just habit, so exploit this. If you're laning top or bottom, setup 1 trap in the bush near the river to prevent ganks, and save the other 2 traps for the bushes in your lane. Just remember if you're in the side lanes, always try to take control of the bush. You can farm up your Headshot while having the safety of your traps around you in the bush in-case champions try to attack you.
As of 4/26/2011, the buff to Caitlyn reduces the mana cost of setting traps up to 50 and also increases the range of the trap to 150.
- This is the only escape mechanism Caitlyn has for enemies that come flying at her. Aim this at the champions to push yourself away from them and slow them down. If you are being chased in the jungle, save enough mana to use this and get through walls. Just remember that this skill cannot get you through thick walls so be careful about your positioning. You can combine this skill with Flash in team fights to get away from characters targeting you. When you're not targeted anymore, run back in range and start shooting people down.
As of 4/26/2011, the buff to Caitlyn reduces the mana cost of 90 Caliber Net to 75.
- Caitlyn's ultimate is one of the sickest looking ultimate in the game. Whoever she targets will get hit no matter how far they run unless someone blocks the shot. If you're mid, save enough mana to pop this on the enemy when you reach level 6. Always try to harass them below 300 health and finish them off with this skill at level 6. Never initiate with this skill because it leaves you vulnerable while charging. Always use this as a finishing skill to kill enemies that are fleeing.
As of 4/26/2011, the buff to Caitlyn the mana cost for this skill is reduced to 100 and the range has been increased to 1900/2050/2200 from 1600/1900/2200.
Tips for playing Caitlyn
Always try to last hit for the extra gold on minions
Setup traps in the side bushes to avoid ganks
Use Piltover Peacemaker on enemy when they are not hiding behind minions. You can use it if they are behind 1 minion.
Use auto attacks to harass as well, prevent the enemy from last hitting. You do not have to rely on Piltover Peacemaker as your source of harass. You have a really long range
Harass until enemy is below 300 health and finish them off with Ace in the Hole
Save mana so you can Ace in the Hole at level 6
2v2 Side Lane
Always last hit when you can
Always control the brushes in your lane, you will charge up Headshot more often in there
Use Headshot on champions not minions
Setup a trap in the brush near the river to avoid ganks
Align your Piltover Peacemaker to hit both champions if you can
Don't play too aggressively and waste your mana
Just focus on farming and harass with Piltover Peacemaker when you see the chance
Learn to farm under the tower
Tell your teammates to gank top if you are being pushed back to the tower
Get buffs when you can, use the brush near the golem/lizard to kill quicker.
Avoid being targeted in team fights, run back in to deal damage when they are focusing the tank
Never initiate with Ace in the Hole
Don't initiate fights, let the tank do that
If you're being chased, throw up a trap in front of you and run over it, chances are the person chasing you will get stuck in it.
Focus the squishy characters on the enemy team first, and then the tanks.
Gameplay video of how I play Caitlyn
Caitlyn excels very well early game, and make sure you get fed at that point. She is not Ashe and doesn't do very well late game unless she gets fed. I have seen many Caitlyn guides out there, but there are none that play her the way I do. Please don't down-vote unless you have tried the build out. Leave constructive feedback and criticism and I will take it into consideration and make changes as I see fit. This guide is meant for players who have experience with Caitlyn and want to try a new approach to her, there are already many in-depth guide to Caitlyn out there.