Gragas Build Guide by Haedrix
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
- Comprehensive Kennen Guide (ADC / AP Top / AP Mid / Support)
- Zac (Solo Top / Jungle)
- Brand (AP Mid), Unstoppable Hell Cannon
- Jungle Repository for Stealgar 2
- Jungle Repository for Stealgar 1
- S4 Jungle Repository Patch 4.3
- Mid / Jungle Repository for "I Murphink I"
- S4 Top Repository Patch 4.2
- S4 Mid Repository Patch 4.3
- S4 Comprehensive Nasus Guide
About the Author
My IGN on NA is Phaetox. I was Platinum in Season 3 Solo Queue and I placed in Platinum this season as well. I have over 2600 Normal Wins and have played LoL since it was in beta.
I am the Head of Coaching for the DWAI Gaming community, do casting for tournaments and scrims, and am the captain / Mid Laner for team Auxiliary.
DWAI Gaming has a community base in both NA and OCE, holds prized monthly tournaments, offers coaching, has a team of streamers and casters, sponsors teams, has weekly community events, and is overall a friendly community that strives to provide members with a comfortable environment to play League of Legends, Counter-Strike, Minecraft, and many other games.
If you are interested check out any of the following links to seek more information:
DWAI Gaming's Website
DWAI Gaming's Twitch Channel
DWAI Gaming's Facebook Group Page
DWAI Gaming's League of Legends Facebook Group Page
Introduction & Champion Analysis
Gragas has changed immensely with his recent rework. We may see a decrease in his popularity as an AP Mid but his use as a Jungler and Top Laner are on the rise.
Riot may have changed a lot of what we liked about the champion, but his new design much more accurately fits his lore as a drunken brawler. Now you can play him with much more aggressive positioning via bruiser builds.
I believe AP Mid Gragas is still viable thanks to the buffs to his utility, just with weaker ratios and less burst damage and siege potential late game. He also gains bonus Magic Resistance per level, which he did not have before. This in addition to his Damage Reduction and high sustain can make him a great pick against assassins like LeBlanc in lane. Although there are stronger picks that give you much of what you would have wanted from Gragas in the past, he can still fit exceptionally well into team compositions.
For instance, my ranked team still uses AP Gragas Mid in a team comp where our Jungler plays Yasuo. The new Feral Flare makes Jungle Yasuo impressively powerful, and Gragas has amazing synergy with him. Having a melee carry also helps compensate for the fact that Gragas has weaker AP Ratios and correspondingly falls off damage wise in the late game. To counteract this even further, we make sure to run an ADC that is strong late game such as Jinx.
So if you still have the urge to play the fat man, by all means don't hesitate. There are plenty of ways to use his rework to your advantage. If you're simply looking for the most OP poke champion for your siege comp though, you may want to move along to other long range casters.
Let's take a look at the New Gragas and how he fits into the current meta
As a Jungle
As a Tank Top
As an AP Mid
Common Language & Color Code
Auto Attack = AA
Attack Speed = AS
Attack Damage = AD (Physical Damage in general)
Ability Power = AP (Magic Damage in general)
Health = HP (Tank Steroids in general)
Magic Resistance = MR
Movement Speed / Mobility Steroids
Crowd Control = CC
Out of Mana = OOM
Creep Score / Creeps Slain / Farm = CS
Cool Down = CD
Cool Down Reduction = CDR
Damage Per Second = DPS
Pros / Cons (General)
- Explosive Cask has many uses and can be the main reason you pick Gragas into your team composition. It's great for AoE damage, disengage, spreading the fight out, target isolation. or preventing enemy players from defending an objective.
- Barrel Roll may not have an AS Debuff on it anymore but it does have an AoE Slow.
- Body Slam is a good gap closer and now stuns / slightly knocks back targets hit. This means that Gragas now has two forms of interrupting channels instead of just one.
- Percentage Max HP damage on Drunken Rage gives better anti-tank damage than before. While the loss of the AD steroid slowed clear speed in the Jungle, this new component gives you better camp farming later in the game as well as a faster Dragon / Baron.
- Melee Auto Attacks
- Can get heavily harassed early game by enemies with Ranged Auto Attacks
- All skill shots (bad if you can't land them)
- Can't control Barrel Roll detonation if CC'd
Always run Flash on Gragas. Body Slam is a great mobility steroid but without Flash, you can't use Body Slam to go over terrain into fog because if you run into unexpected opponents you would have no escape. Rumored to no longer animation drag Body Slam after the rework. Will confirm / deny after testing.
Ignite greatly increases your dueling potential in Mid / Top Lane if you are running with an offensive spec. It can help secure kills and the Healing Debuff can be very useful in certain situations.
Smite is a must have if Jungling. There is no reason to ever Jungle without it. Use it to improve your clear time and secure buffs / objectives.