Build Guide by Nazera
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Although she hangs in the back & doesn't technically get into the team fight, Lux has the ability to initiate, or end the fight with her laser. If played right, with this build, you can 2 shot squishies late-game.
Hard Mid Lane Opponents
If any of the following unlikely champions are your opponent in mid, try and swap out with a teammate before the game starts & take a side lane. These champs just can't be beat down quick enough, or will rape your face if they get ahold of you (At least by my own experiences). These champs are:
- Xin Zhao - Will dash in, knock you up, exhaust you, then peck at you as you try to run back to your tower.
- Mordekaiser - You get his whitebar down, take half or more hp, but then your outta mana, he gets it all back. When you get close he does his aoe on you so you take damage often. You may end up having no problem at all, but this is just a sign that their morde is a baddie. Save your spells to use on Morde & just auto-attack the minions. Be certain to ALWAYS follow up with an auto-attack on Morde after hitting him with one of your spells, to trigger your Passive, otherwise your just wasting your time & mana. Keep him at bay & don't let him build his white bar up.
- Alistar - Tank who can heal, nuff said...
- Master Yi - Turbo Cleave, super speed & Heal 4TL.
- Nasus - If he goes Tank... you won't be able to damage him really.
- Nunu - Could be ok, unless he gets a Banshee's Veil early, or stacks magic resist.
- Tryndamere - If you go too far beyond your tower, he will spin at you to quickly close the gap, exhaust you, then slash you down to nothing. At level 6, when he gets his ultimate, he just becomes unbearable.
- Udyr - Will put up a shield and block everything. The cooldown on this ability is ******edly low.
I'm a mana *****, I try to keep the pressure on and well ya... gimp the heck outta the other team's carry.
CLARITY - As I mentioned, I'm a mana *****. With Clarity, the mana regen runes I take, a Meki Pendant for early game & Preserverence & Meditation masteries, I find I have just enough mana to overwhelm my opponent with projectiles.
FLASH - Until it gets nerfed as rumor has it will, it is a wonderful escape mechanic. I used to play AP Nidalee, moved onto LeBlanc & now play Lux. Lux however of the 3 does not come with her own teleport, pounce, etc., so I still needed something & Flash was just the best choice. Lux's cooldowns, auto attack damage, survivability & usefulness surpass LeBlanc's. LeBlanc can teleport in to do a doubletap, but can also get stunned before being able to teleport back.
- Greater Mark of Insight - Even after you buy your Sorcerer's Shoes for spell penetration, if your opponent has a magic resist item such as Mercury Treads, you will fall short on penetration & their resist will be greater. You want magic penetration to ensure you remain unrestricted in damage during early game.
- Greater Seal of Clarity - I supposed you could get flat mana regen seals if you have problems early game, but I prefer these, so I can just go crazy & spam spells late game.
- Greater Glyph of Focus - Lower cooldowns = more poking/her***ing, more stuns & more lasers... simple logic.
- Greater Quintessence of Replenishment - The seals & Meki Pendant will not be enough to sustain you. I mean ya... you could conserve your mana and just.. survive... but... wouldn't you rather dominate the lane & kill your opponent as many times as you can as well, thereby gimping the enemy team's carry?
Finales Funkeln (R) -> Lucent Singularity (E) -> Light Binding (Q) -> Prismatic Barrier (W).
- Level your ultimate (Laser aka Finales Funkeln) whenever possible.
- Lucent Singularity takes 2nd & will be your primary her***ment ability.
- Light Binding takes 3rd priority.
- Do not get Prismatic barrier until you have nothing else to level up.
- Archmage's Savvy - Not really a huge improvement, but we're in the Offense tree to get stuff from the 2nd and 3rd rows. Nothing better to get for an AP champ in the first Offense row then AP.
- Deadliness - Your not stacking crit chance, but improved Exhaust, or Smite isn't for you, so you need a 4th point to reach the 2nd row in Offense.
- Sorcery - You want to reduce your ability cooldowns such as your laser obviously, but don't worry it doesn't end here.
- Archaic Knowledge - More spell penetration to maintain control over the amount of damage you can dish out.
- Your a glass cannon. If you don't know how to survive as one without getting magic resist items, armor, or defensive masteries, or runes, don't even bother with this build. You won't be able to handle it and will end up feeding & making Lux a socially unaccepted mid lane champion.
- Perserverence - You don't want to have to buy mana regen items in the game, other then the Meki Pendant you start with and later sell, so your gonna get your mana regen mostly from your runes and masteries.
- Good Hands - I put a point into Good Hands to reduce the time spent away from the mid lane. You don't want your opponent out leveling/farming you. I later came back and put a second point into Good Hands in order to progress to the bottom of the Utility tree.
- Awareness - Ya.. you might have thought I'd have gone with Expanded Mind for the mana pool increase but no... The increase is so minor it's worthless. You get more out of Awareness' exp increase, which again... is great for mid. Don't get out leveled!
- Mediation - Ya 1 point of mana per sec. might seem kinda trivial & still kinda does to me, but I don't spend my time trying to solo Golem, or Lizard for buffs to want extended Neutral Monster buffs from Utility Mastery & increasing my mana pool with Expanded Mind still seems kind of useless. You will burn through that little bit of extra mana in an instant. Your mana will always be fluctuating and mana regen is the only way to stay ahead.
- Insight - Other then saving your teammates with a quick stun via Light Binding, when they are trying to escape, this is how you can contribute further to your team. You already are taking Clarity so you can keep tossing projectiles, but now you can nearly fully replenish nearby teammate's mana pools during team fights, such as when pushing turrets. Don't let your team fall back when pushing a turret.. Clarity & press on!
- Quickness - always good to have a run speed advantage for escapes.
- Blink of an Eye - Your taking Flash, do I really need to explain the importance of this one? lol.
- Intelligence - I hope you have some of this, or again... this build just isn't for you. This and Sorcery from the Offense tree will alone give you 9% cooldown reduction on your spells. Now if your really good & your team doesn't suck, you can get 20 stacks on the Mejai's Soulstealer and further reduce your cooldowns. Also, there is always the blue buff from Golem, but I wouldn't spend too much time trying to beat it down. If you don't have a teammate helping you with blue buff, don't bother.
- Presence of the Master - Further Flash cooldown reduction AND your now improved Clarity (Insight). Yet another necessary piece of the puzzle in keeping you and your teammates gas-ed up and dominating.
- Meki Pendant
If you really suck at staying alive as a squishy champion & are able to conserve your mana, you could get a Doran's Ring, but... you might as well not even bother going mid then. You won't be able to toss enough damaging projectiles out at your foe to make a difference. You might stay alive, but so will they. If you can't be aggressive, they WILL be. You want the extra mana regen. You want to be able to keep flinging tons of **** at them and making them cower behind their tower. A good sign that your doing well is that they will switch out their champions & you will have a new opponent. I've had them switch it up 3 times by mid game in 1 game. Once you've gone beyond level 10 or so, it will be safe to sell this item if desired in favor of a quicker AP item purchase.
- Health Potion (x2)
You have enough mana regen & you have some money left to spend. Buy some health potions. Use these 2 health potions as a learning tool. See how far you can get without having to use these, or recalling early for health. If your just trying the build out for the first time, don't be afraid to buy additional health potions on your trips back to base with leftover money from buying your first few items.
- Amplifying Tome & Boots of Speed
On your first trip back you should be able to buy both of these. If you for some reason had to recall early and can only afford one, buy the Amplifying Tome first.
- Amplifying Tome
If you've been playing very aggressively & doing well, you probably have forced the enemy to recall again early, but do not yet have enough money to finish your Sorcerer's Shoes, so buy another tome. You need 2 tomes total anyway, which build into both the Mejai's Soulstealer & the Void Staff. If you aren't planning on getting a Mejai's, then skip this step, because the 2nd tome would just be a waste of money.
- Sorcerer's Shoes
Finish your shoes & get some magic penetration to stay ahead of their attempts at magic resist. They may not even have any magic resist items yet, but still... you want to remain ahead.
- Mejai's Soulstealer, or Void Staff
If you aren't very good, I would not suggest getting the Soulstealer. If you want to get the most out of Lux however, you've got to be good enough to make use of this item. If your not going for this, grab the Void Staff & continue building, grabbing an Abyssal Scepter as your 6th item. You may find yourself needing to get the Void Staff before the Mejai's Soulstealer, dependant on the situation, but it's best to start building early. Be aware though that you will obviously become a prime target for the enemy once you buy the Mejai's Soulstealer.
- Mejai's Soulstealer, or Void Staff
Get whichever item you didn't get previously. If your not going to be including the Mejai's Soulstealer in your build, then just skip this step & move on.
- Rabadon's Deathcap, or Zhonya's Hourglass
You will end up buying both of these items. I wish to thank Riot for splitting up the Zhonya's Ring into these 2 items, because it gives a relatively nice AP boost to my former build. With this build and full stacks on the Mejai's Soulstealer, you should have 775 AP. If the enemy team has a Karthus, be sure to get the Zhonya's Hourglass first though as you will want it to block Karthus' ultimate. Also the armor on the Zhonya's Hourglass is also a very nice touch, allowing you to mitigate a little melee damage (remember the Mejai's made you a target lol).
- Rabadon's Deathcap, or Zhonya's Hourglass
Get whichever item you didn't get previously.
- Frozen Heart
A little bit more armor & a slowing aura, which helps in combination with the armor from the Zhonya's Hourglass, allowing these 2 items to reduce damage from melee champions such as Xin Zhao, etc. Also the cooldown is just great. Laser spam 4tw!
As of right now I am primarily playing Lux and I follow this build 100% every time. I hope that you like my build & have some fun dominating mid. Although an undesireable outcome, if all goes well, we should see another nerf bat swung in Lux's direction =\. Remember though... This build has no defense to it whatsoever until very late game. Basically... If your not PRO, don't attempt this. I usually wind up with 0-3 deaths each game, as Lux, using this build. Many say that stacking ArchAngel's Staff provides more AP, which may be true, however how is a few Blasting Wands & Tear of the Goddess gonna help much mid-game? I think this build to improve your survivability & keep you on top with your damage output.