Roam Support Shen
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Shen with this build
Hello I am a support main who enjoys trying out uncommon supports.
Roam Support Shen is surprisingly effective from the games i played. Even though he is not built for support he surprisingly provides so many nifty strategies to a team that i feel can be game changing.
Here are detailed reasons shen support is useful:
1. Roaming is generally a risky task for a support and his/her adc but with level 6 shen you are a 3 second ult away from getting back to lane to protect your adc
2.Even though shens ult is a good way to get his adc protected shen can still use his ult to protect any of his teamates. I cant describe how many times i single handedly turned around a fight and got my teammates lane ahead cause of that ult. I honestly never felt like i had more control over this game in its early phase then with shen roam support.
3. Once you teleport to the teammate shen support provides a lot of protection. E taunt,w block, exhaust, face of the mountain shield, bond of stone, and expose weakness will completely turn around a losing fight or secure a kill.
4. You can ult your jungler right as he is ganking a lane to make it a two man gank. You can ult a turret diving teammate to give him just enough shield to live, and you can also ult a teammate who backdoor teleports an open enemy nexus/inhibitor/turret to help him finish it off quickly.
5. Because shen is based on roaming and doesn't provide the best peel you generally will prefer a adc with a gap closer to dodge enemy aggression and range to farm from a safe distance. Even though you might leave lane a lot your adc will still be able to pick up extra experience for the loss of safe farming!
6. If shen was to ult top or mid he can ward the map while walking back to bot lane.
7. During late game while teams are grouping more shen is more flexible to split push with and ward anywhere around the map since he can ult as soon as a team fight happens
8. If your knowledge is strong you can use your early game to deep ward/harass a enemy jungler like master yi knowing you can ult away if he goes in on you.
9.Because top laners are usually slow and towers are further away i find it ridiculously easy to turn around/secure a 1v1 fight with a shen r,e combo. Basically tell my ally to go all in wither they will win or lose and once they are weak i ult up there and get my ally a easy kill and time to free farm.
10. If you have a teammate you want to get fed because you know they are really good Roam Shen Support is a very very good pick for that. Getting mid or top the extra boost they need to out survive a fight is pretty is an R away
11. Even when you leave lane a lot your ADC will get a lot of extra experience which they like.
Pros / Cons
+Deceptively strong 2v2 laning phase
+His ult allows him to roam with more ease of mind
+ADC gets more experience while you roam
+Decent ganking via e and exhaust
+Ganking top lane with ult is VERY effective
+w,e,r can all be used to protect ADC
+w is very strong early laning phase against ADC
+Can SUPPORT any teammate anywhere on the map with ult
+Can ult back to lane quickly via adc after recalling
+Good at getting any teammate ahead
-Something that starts with the word No
-Energy depletes quickly
-Lack of peel
-Ulting top lane leaves adc vulnerable for a long time (gets extra xp though)
-Lack of damage
-Have to have very strong overall awareness and decision making to maximize Ult effectiveness
Roam Support Shen is hugely reliant on teamwork to finish off fights. I have personaly found that these champions work very well with shen offensively and defensivly.
ADC - Basically any adc with decent mobility and range to help keep themselves alive
Draven - works amazing with shen 2v2 if you use your w,e right.
Lucien - is a safe ADC to have while roaming
Ezreal - is a safe ADC to have while roaming
JG- Any jungler with gap closers or stealth
Volibear - Ult him when his passive activates and youll catch the enemy off guard
Hecarim - Turret diving with this champ is the easiest thing in the world
Shaco - Ult him when he ganks a lane and they wont see you coming
Mid- Anyone with gap closer
Top- allied top laners with mobility/cc to prevent the enemy from getting to far away
Garen - is a great top laner to ult to with his q
Poppy - another good mobility champ
To wrap it up Shen is a support with a lot of utility to allow him to roam and protect allies.
He does have weaknesses against strong ap ranged champs like brand , sona, and lulu but if you play accordingly you can get by that easy and help the rest of your team by great warding and ganking.