Volibear Build Guide by Ansizzle
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
As you will see me say time and time again I would like to intro this build by starting off and saying that this build for Volibear SHOULD NOT BE A SOLO-ING CHAMPION SO ALL YOU ****ING NEWBS LISTEN UP!!! run with a good lane mate and focus on harassing your opponent. and above all else STAY ALIVE!! in the words of my friend Psydrax: "it is better to stay alive then die for an attempt at a kill." so read on and have fun tanking.
DO NOT TANK ALONE!!!!!!!!!
If you go by yourself you will most likely die. Tanking by yourself isn't an option until late game around level 15 or 16. MAKE SURE YOU READ, IF YOU READ ANYTHING ON THIS PAGE, YOU READ THE TEAM WORK SECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To use this build you will have to be smart and work with either a fast champion (players who can use Warwick correctly) or a good ranged champion (Ashe, Twitch, Teemo, and Viktor I have found to be helpful) and have them back you up like no other. Use the bushes to hide in and have your helper pull them so you can swoop in from the back and do some damage. Your roll as a tank comes in handy with all the health you have but beware you need to retreat at the first sign of death. Your innate ability you cover your health for the retreat but also use Rolling Thunder's movement bonus to add to the retreat. Remember this YOU'RE JOB IS TO GET ASSISTS! DO NOT GO FOR KILLS UNLESS YOU KNOW YOU CAN KILL SAID ENEMY!! Let you're teammates have the kills. Assists count just as much on your record.
Since your Frenzy ability gets an extra bonus from 15% of your bonus health it is crucial that you start with the Ruby Crystal and Giant's Belt so that you can take advantage of that bonus and wreak some havoc as a tank. Grab some Berzerker's Greaves for some extra speed to help with your harassing and retreats for survival. Add the Ionic Spark to your arsenal and expect to be wrecking with frenzy after a couple hits.
In the early stages of the game your Summoner Spells are crucial to taking out enemy champions. Use Surge before charging into battle to get your Frenzy quickly and then use Exhaust to debuff them before striking with Frenzy for the kill. This is highly effective but very flawed as anyone faster than you can just simply walk away. I have found that enemies will be scared of you when you use surge as your character will grow larger so they will probably wait to attack. As the game goes on you'll acquire Thunder Claws, use it with Surge to spread that Chain Lighting effect around and do some damage.
Attack Plan....USE THOSE BUSHES!
Here's why you use those bushes, but as for every thing I've said before make sure you have a good lane mate that understands this build.
1. Hide in those bushes
2. Let your Teammate pull those suckers
3. Attack from behind
4. Low on health? retreat behind that tower and recover
5. Not low on health? well either you are or you scared those Commies ****less, go jide in those bushes and wait
6. They're back, good re-do steps 1-5 and make sure your lane mate hasn't left you for dead
I usually have all my items or at least the ones i need by 30min to start tanking by myself. At this point most teams will start ganking the daylights out of each other so you can join them or slowly take out the other team by continuing to lane. After you destroy a tower though switch lanes from top to bottom or bottom to top so that you may avoid being ganked yourself. Use Rolling Thunder to move quickly around the battlefield. When it gets down to winning the game make that final push with your team and go for it.
These next couple sections will cover what I have chosen in the masteries/runes and what not.
Now if you look(and I know you have if you have made it this far down the page) at the masteries you will notice they are the standard Volibear masteries. Get the Armor Pen and Attack Speed for offense and then switch to defense for some Health, Health Regen, and Armor. Grab the Juggernaut and prepare to pwn some newbs.
I specifically chose the runes I did for some special reasons.
1. Marks: all Armor Pen for the other tanks that want to rumble
2. Seals: need that health you're a tank after all
3. Glyphs: Magic Resistance for those pesky Mages
4. Quintessences: The Attack Speed to dish out damage and the extra Armor Pen for more Armor Pen duh
And that's the run down
Volibear has some crazy stuff going about him and I've found it's hard to level minions with him since all the enemy champs are like "Hey its a mother effin polar bear, lets kill that ****!" so here's what come in handy:
1. Majestic Roar: In addition to slowing down enemy champs you get the pleasure of an Area of Effect spell that sends all the minis running in fear of you while you beat them up.
2. Ionic Spark: This bow unleashes Chain Lighting every four hits which shouldn't be hard, I mean Frenzy increases your Attack Speed with each hit, so you can Chain Lighting the hell out of those little bastards. This also comes in handy when you have those pesky rangers or mages hiding in all those little minions. Chain Lighting from Ionic Spark and Thunder Claws will sap those minis exposing those ranged champs, just make sure you have enough health to kill them though.