Volibear Build Guide by Corrupshun
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
Since this is my first guide, there probably will be alot of mistakes. If u see something akward, please let me know so I can fix it.
- This guide is still under development, so please keep that in mind while reading this.
- Please leave a Constructive Comment so I can try to improve this guide.
Credits to jhoijhoi for helping me with coding. Be sure to check out his "How-To-Create-a-Guide" guide. here. And thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the banners! ^^
Most recent change listed first:
- Updated Runes, Items and Masteries 19/12
- Added Banners. -Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard- 19/12
- Updated the following Chapters: Pros/Cons, Runes, Masteries, Sum. Spells and Items 18/12
- Added Pros / Cons - 17/12
- Added Match History - 15/12
Pros / Cons
+ // Tough opponent to take down if built tanky
+ // Great chaser with Rolling Thunder
+ // Has some AoE abilities like Majestic Roar and Thunder Claws
- // No gap closer, so timing is crucial
- // Vulnerable when skills are on cooldown
- // Really bad at escaping
This is just to let you see that the bear can be pretty effective in Dominion.
Attack Damage and Attack Speed Build(Offensive Masteries)
Was going Tanky DPS Build(Defense Masteries), but game finished to soon :D
Greater Mark of Lethality
Greater Seal of Attack Damage
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction
Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed
Greater Mark of Desolation
- More Armor Pen. To shred through the targets armor.
Greater Seal of Attack Damage
- More AD means more damage.
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist / Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
- Speed in Dominion is always an advantage.
- Synergizes well with Rolling Thunder.
Summoner's Wrath Brute Force & Alacrity
- More attack damage for auto attacks (Sustained Damage Output).
- Thunder Claws has a time duration, more attack within that time, more DPS.
- Nice cooldown so u can spam the active from Frenzy more often.
- Damage dealt increases by 1,5%. No need for more explanation I guess.
- More Armor Penetration is always a nice help
- This skill saved me numberous times in crucial situations and works well with Frenzy's Bite
Resistance & Hardiness
- Survivability, useful when Chosen of the Storm kicks in.
- For Dominion Ghost is a very beneficial summoner spell to have.
- Synergizes well with Rolling Thunder
- Great to keep getting those auto attacks on your target or to run away.
- Exhausts target champion, reducing their Movement Speed by 40%, attack damage dealt by 70%, and ability and item damage dealt by 35% for 2.5 seconds. 210 second cooldown.
- Synergyses well with your Summoner's Wrath .
Ignite or Surge
Boots of Speed: I always start with boots, it gets you to the Wind Mill faster, and lets you maneuver better during the fight up there, highly recommended.
- Always a good item to start with, and you know you'll always need boots.
- Get to Windmill faster.
- Boosts the damage from Frenzy's Bite and gives some survivability.
I suggest getting Mercury's Threads but other boots are viable.
- I personally like to get Boots of Mobility because the extra speed is really helpfull in Dominion.
Here's where you have to look at the enemy team and decide on what to build according to them (Boot choice should also take this into account)
If you are doing well, I'd suggest u follow the build. Otherwise first get a Chain Vest or Null-Magic Mantle depending on who has the most kills/focus on you. Take Chain Vest against Physical Damage characters or Null-Magic Mantle against spellcasters.
Sidenote: I've found myself buying a Negatron Cloak in some occasions, where the extra Magic Resistance really helped me out. OR when the majority of the enemy team are spellcasters, just go with a Negatron Cloak.
Normally u are a lot tankier now, and u should be able to 1 vs 1 some Champions (not advised, as Dominion is not about kills)
Now that you are tankier, u can do one of the following things:
1. Get some Cooldown Reduction(CDR) and Attack Speed(AS).
2. Get Attack Damage(AD) and Health.
So u might be thinking, what's the strongest?
Well actually both are good, only are they different playstyles.
U can find more info on this in the chapter: Volibear Builds.
Late Game Items
Upgrade your Phage into Frozen Mallet and then go either first for: Atma's Impaler or Spirit Visage.
- If you bought a Negatron Cloak instead of a Null-Magic Mantle, upgrade it into Odyn's Veil after you finished your Frozen Mallet.
And your last item (if the game lasts that long)
Is either Randuin's Omen OR Odyn's Veil/ Spirit Visage OR Sanguine Blade (The choice is really dependant on the situation)
But keep in mind that both Randuin's Omen and Odyn's Veil/ Spirit Visage give you bonus health wich boosts your Frenzy's Bite.
- Damage boost with all basic attacks.
- Increased Attack Speed.
- Bread and Butter Skill.
- +24% attack speed fully stacked.
- Better damage the weaker the enemy is.(Good finisher move)
- Synergizes well with increased Health.
- Allows Volibear to be a great Chaser.
- Mediocre damage, mostly used for the displacement.
- Will interrupt channeled ultimates.
- Raised third for lower Cooldown.
- Good Crowd Control (CC) as it is "Area of Effect"(AoE).
- Mediocre damage, but can get a kill in on a runner.
- Works well when used immediately after a Rolling Thunder fling.
Chosen of the Storm (Passive)
- Effectively grants 30% more health if not burst down when it activates.
- Can turn the tides on Solo and Team fights when you're expected to die.
Synergizes well with Spirit Visage and Lifesteal.
- Lengthy cooldown, but seems to be up when needed regardless.
Since I find this passive pretty buggy at the moment, the first build focuses more on damage output from skills and auto-attacks and being tanky, rather then relying on this pssive.
Volibear can be a pain in the *** in dominion. The combination of his Tankyness and DPS makes him godly. (Be carefull not to overextend because u think your invincible sometimes)
Some extra tips I would like to give u:
- Volibear can be a bit team dependant, so be sure to inform your teammates before u initiate.
- Try to fling the squishies into your team.
- When u feel getting focused, let your team initiate and then rush in.
- Put on some Epic BearPwning Music!
Have a nice day,