Wukong Build Guide by TheHamBoy
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The guide is still in a development state
The guide is still in a development state, and I'm working hard to finish it. Please, dont judge it too early!
Hello mighty summoners!
The reason I started to write this guide is the same as for all of the guide-writers here on mobafire, I want to provide all of the new Wukong players aswell as the more experienced Wukongs my own perspective and playstyle of the monkeyking himself. I hope this guide will provide you this, a better playstyle that hopefully turns your monkey into a legendary killer that dominates your lane!
Also, I'd want to say something to all the trollvoters out there. Please, I would really appretiate you to leave a SERIOUS and SOFISTICATED comment on this guide. What I don't want is you trollvoting down this guide without a reason, I want you in that case to vote it down with a reason. I am absolutely okay with you downrating it with a reason because of the fact that i can learn and improve from serious criticism rather than from unserious criticism. If you have read this far, THANK YOU. I hope you wont trollvote from now on. Lets get back to business! :)
- This is an activated ability that empoweres your next basic attack. It's your best damage dealing skill, and works perfect together with your E+W combo as a poke. Just push E to get to your enemy, charge up a Q, let wukong hit a basic attack and then decoil back. This skill will also reset your basic attack timer, which makes it brilliant for last-hitting.
Another awesome thing is that it works on turrets, which is good to remember if you want to take down a turret quickly.
- Gosh what I love this skill! This is the reason I never stop playing Wukong neither getting tired of playing him! The skill itself creates a mirror immage of your monkey and wukong himself becomes stealthed for 3 seconds. The use of this skill is infinite. You can use it to escape, to be able to place a good ulti or just to scout enemy bushes. It's just pure awesome! I've had many good laughs with this little skill, and I prommise you will have too!
- Wukong dashes forward damaging up to three enemies around him. Awesome skill for getting into a fight quickly or just for chasing or poking the enemy. It also gives you a very good attackspeed bonus that gives you the opportunity to invest in AD items rather than in AS items.
- Wukong spins around knocking enemies into the air damaging them as they are hit. This ulti is great during teamfights because of the CC it provides. The movement speed also turns wukong into a good chaser and an even better escaper. I have managed to escape pretty easily from a full team just using Cyclone and/or decoil. The damage is not that epic but it's overall ok. I believe that many players underestimate the defensive use of this skill, sparing it for offensive uses. Don't be afraid to use it defensively!
MasteriesI'm using the normal 21/0/9 build going pure AD oriented in the offensive tree. I choose to improve the flash spell, reduce time spent dead, increase my mana pool and increase my movement speed with the remaining points in the utility tree. It could be viable to max the mana-mastery instead of decreasing time spent dead because of the fact that wukong lacks mana early-game. This will improve your sustainability, though I recommend you to decrease the time you spend dead. You wont help your team while you're dead, right?
If you plan to use Wukong as an OT or just want to improve your defensive stats put the remaining nine points in the defensive tree. Both resistance and Hardiness are good choices, but I would mostly recommend using Hardiness. In my team, I'm often assigned the role of a solo-top. This means that I'm used to face champions like sion, GP, another Wukong or sometimes a champion like WW. Those times magic res wont do much, that's why I choose Hardiness if i feel that I want to use defensive masteries.
As a summary I'd go with 2/3 in , 3/3 in and 4/4 in .
Greater Mark of Lethality
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Mark of Scaling Attack Damage
These are the marks I prefer using as Wukong.
Flat AD-marks could be great early game, but kinda fades out later on. Pick them if you want a strong earlygame, and pick the /per level marks if you want the opposite.
The armor penetration-marks is great at all times, because of the usefullness of arpen. Runing it will give us the opportunity to invest our ingame gold into more AD-specific items, that's why they are my main choice. Armor penetration will as you may know make our attacks pierce through the enemys armor, which also is a great damageboost.
These are the Seals I prefer using as Wukong.
The armor seals is great for survivarbility, especially early-game. With those, you will do bether initiating and surviving against AD-champions.
The magic-res seals is pretty much the same as the armor seals except their for facing AP-champions instead of AD.
AD-seals? Well, want more damage? Go ahead, rune it!
The same as for the Seals, combine them the way you like! :)
Greater Quintessence of Lethality
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
Greater Quintessence of Health
These are the quintessences i like to use as Wukong.
The AD-boost from the quints is huge! It's great to watch bar after bar fade away in the level one teamfights with those. Choose these, of course, if you want a big damage increase!
Arpen-quints is a great increase to your armor penetration. Piercing armor like there's no tomorrow is nice, ain't it?
Wanna go tanky? Choose the HP-quints. Nuff said.
My main choices varies between
. Why I use flash is kind of easy to figure out. Flash can be used for positioning, escaping and chasing/towerdiving. A must for nearly any AP/AD-oriented champion imo.
- The slow and damage decrease is very good in teamfights. Exhaust the enemys best damage dealer (often the AD-carry) to decrease the teams overall damage to bring your team an advantage. It could also ensure a kill on that überfast Yi or make sure you run away alive from a gank. The usage is huge.
- This spell can make sure you get that epic first blood or just to help you burn those nasty tanks to ashes. If someone uses alot of lifesteal, Ignite could counter the enemys hp-gain. It also makes sure no one escapes with only 100hp or less.
Other good choises:
- Nice if your solo-toping and you feel that your turret is being pushed too much. Great for lane-sustainability overall, but especially as a solo-top. Noticeable is that it also works on wards. Put wards inside the middle bushes in the top- and botlane to help with ganks or to push a tower quickly. Just teleport to the ward and do what you have to do.
- - The movement speed makes you close to unkillable combined with flash and Wukongs other skills. Great if you want to make sure that you wont die.
Ability SequenceI choose to max out first because of the fact that it provides the highest amount of outgoing damage. You will be harrasing alot early- midgame which makes the best choice to max out first.
Secondly, you should max out your also this time because of the damage provided. The stealth-effect from your will be fine in it's level 1 rank, so you should max it last.
So, overall, it's like this:
I choose to start with a
because of the extra health and damage it provides. It will help you drastically in level one teamfights, and also with the early-game farming. Since Wukong is an AD-carry, his build is quite expensive. He will need alot of last-hits.
Another option to start with could be + 3x . This gives you extra lane sustainability and a head start to your actual build. I'd recommend the blade though, because getting a kill early could earn you that money you'd spare with the boots/health pots.
The boots should be purchased/upgraded directly after the starter items. There's three boots that fits Wukong, all of them providing good stats. The options is:
- Buy these if your enemy team has alot of CC's or consists of mainly AP-oriented champions. The changes to tenacity really make those boots my main choice, since Wukong tend to get CCed alot.
- Buy these if you plan turning your monkey into an OT. The armor and damage reduction provided is a good defensive boost that hopefully make you even more unkillable than you already are.
Buy these if you feel that you can handle the CCs and the ability-damage done by the other team. They give you a good boost to your AS, but since your already gives you a huge lot of AS I would recommend buying the
After the you should be pulling of some nasty damage, but if your game is going well, you should invest in even more AD. Continue with a B.F. Sword and . This will give you damage, CDR and some handy armor penetration. The arpen is great, because when you're about to get it, your enemies should have earned the money to invest in armor items. The arpen will ensure that your damage stays the same as before.
After these two items you should complete into a . The active effect from this item is great, mark my words, GREAT! It can be used for offensive uses, aswell as defensive uses. It's also marvelously good when you want to perform a quick backdoor.
The above items is the ones i would name "everlonging". This means that they should be bought in whatever game you're playing, if you plan building him as a pure damage dealer. I'll now start listing the situational items, the items that should be replaced/changed depending on what your enemy team looks like and how bad/well the game is going.