Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Tips how to play Vayne!

Creator: coonas August 29, 2011 10:12am
coonas
<Member>
coonas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2011 10:12am | Report
[*] Hi, I've just bought Vayne and I have never played ad-carry before.

Sidenote is that i've just turned lvl 30.

The heroes I played before i bought Vayne is mostly Jarvan/Udyr(tanky dps), Xin Zhao/Tryndamere and Lux/LeBlanc/Karthus/Veigar/Cassiopeia.
I'm a good player with these heroes and know how to handle them.

But now i have played maybe 8 games with Vayne and I've been a royal disaster for my team every game, best was something like 8/6 etc.

I have some insight to my faults, which could be that i have no idea how to position myself as an AD-Carry, nor get enough last hits.

Except for the teamfighting which my teammates finds me useless, I have a hard time laning with Vayne, Mostly I meet 2xdps with either stun or good gap-closing abilities. I figure Taric would be a good laning partner but I haven't had the luck to meet someone who is willing/able to play him with me bot lane.

I do not expect to become a master of Vayne instantly, but I have had good success with other heroes after a few games i.e Ezreal.

I'm simply lost with Vayne and i would appreciate any tips i can get.

Thanks in advance!
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2011 10:21am | Report
I find Vayne a special case and you really need to learn how to use her tumble. My suggestion to you is find a friend, go custom and ask him/her to play both melee and ranged against you in 1v1 and just practice lane and how to move, how to harass and how to last hit. Which order to chose skills etc.
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
theBMB
<Member>
theBMB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2011 10:22am | Report
Should be moved to new player help

The trick with laning with vayne is that she has great harass. Use Tumble to poke enemies every now and then, and make sure you're farming well. Once you have all 3 abilities, you'll have a full combo harass against enemies: Auto Attack > Tumble to reset auto attack timer >Auto attack > then Condemn to proc silver bolts and push them back. Rinse and repeat, then use your ult when you can secure the kill. Other than that, just position yourself properly, vayne goes down real quick if you overextend.
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2011 10:38am | Report
Knowing how to play is the first and most difficult step.

imo, Vayne is as difficult as Twitch when it comes to your position. My tactic is always wait, let the team fight. Count till 3 and then go with everything.
Now theres the other part: you are the strongest thing in your team (i hope so) and you got range, so try to kill damage dealers that are in the wrong place (you must not try to cross over the fight and kill the enemy, get the nearer).
Crows foot
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2011 10:41am | Report
Vayne is one of the few people that can actually go for the tanks who is slightly low. Her true damage is just pure evil, and the only defence is health health health.
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
coonas
<Member>
coonas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2011 11:29am | Report
Thanks very much for all the answers.
my question is that their damage dealers are usually behind the tank/tanky dps, so i will be hard to damage them without entering in the middle of the fight unless i go around(before/during) the fight to attack them.

But in doing so i would be vulnerable to them just falling back since noone is there to protect me.

Obviously it would be wrong to attack the tank first. Or should you go a tank-destroyer build like Bloozrazor and attackspeed/magic damage for more procs on the true dmg passive?

Right now im going boots then 1-3 dorans into bf then bloodthirster to seal->
phanton after that it depends on what team i facing also if i got fed
early(which obviously haven't happend yet :D)

Would the ideal then be to wait for stuns and cooldowns to go off etc. before i engage ?
Crows foot
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2011 11:32am | Report
As an AD carry it is always ideal to wait for ccs and ultis to go off before stepping in. First of all, check for squishys that overextend. Let them be what you have been ;) the one whose mistakes get punished. At this time, most tanks will be half or low, go in for a tank, when they get low and if they're not pro they will back out and the carries will be open. =)

TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2011 12:14pm | Report
Well, the tank destroyer build is really interesting. I've tryed it and loved, you can kill a full tank full stacked Cho'Gath in a few secs, and killing anything else is just as easy is walking around.

Attacking the damage dealers from behind is a good strategy, but as you said, theres no one to protect you, so you have to come stunning and fly away after the kill. With practice, you'll do it normally.
The bad point is that you are the damage dealer of your team, so getting enemies from behind will cause a certain lack of damge in the front line.

Its all about a choice. Try both and see what you like.
coonas
<Member>
coonas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2011 12:17pm | Report
Thanks alot for the responses, i will play more games come back and say how it went :)!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide