Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Counterpicking Help?

Creator: Droptimal February 11, 2014 4:33pm
1 2
Droptimal
<Member>
Droptimal's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 11, 2014 4:33pm | Report
I'm trying to rush my knowledge in preparation for ranked play and hopefully one day competitive. Part of that is learning all characters and matchups. I'm learning each lane with 1 character and then I plan to have counter picks and back up options for bans. Right now I'm using lolcounter.com to look at all my characters bad matchups, then trying to build a universal counter to those and then a 3rd who seems to align in the middle for added coverage and if I get a ban and a bad matchup for my alt..

I ultimately don't know what lane I'll dedicate too, so I'm trying to experiment early. Is this a good strategy? Are there already good theories on this to look into? Is lolcounter.com trustworthy or prone to low tier player choices versus optimal play?

My characters I use now:

Renekton - Top (I noticed Yorick comes up a lot as a counter to my counters...but i don't see him high on tier lists)
Ahri - Mid
Rammus - JG
Sivir - ADC
Sona - Sup

Any help on forming out a trinity with these would be greatly appreciated.
Stomper
<Member>
Stomper's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 11, 2014 4:56pm | Report
Personally I wouldn't worry that much about the meta/tier lists/win rates and all of that.

Just make sure you have a versatile champion pool so you can counterpick what comes along (lolcounter.com is fine if you're using that), a trinity in each role is a good idea. Renekton, Ahri, Sona, Sivir, and Rammus are all bread-and-butter champions in their respective roles. It sort of seems like you picked out a lot of those based on win rates/tier lists (other than Ahri, that is), but if that's who you like then roll with it.
Dychronius
<Member>
Dychronius's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2014 8:09am | Report
It's not extremely bad to use lolcounter to find out about counters, but sometimes a counter isn't always what it seems. Example: I main Irelia, and it says Jax is a counter to her. It's the third highest, meaning people think it's a strong counter to her. The Jax/ Irelia lane is a skill matchup, it only favors Jax slightly. I would recommend you read the comments involved with the counter to make sure it's accurate.

Beyond that, your plan for forming a trinity is a really good idea. It's basically what I did with top lane, where I played Irelia and Jax, but I didn't have anyone that could counter Nasus. From that, I learned how to play Pantheon. I've also started playing Cho'Gath again, because he does well against Darius(theoretically, at least).

I would say that top lane, pick two champs where one has a strong mid game, and the other having a strong late game, so you'll be able to fit multiple team comps. Yorick counters a lot of people with sustain and massive poke, so playing him isn't a terrible idea. Irelia is extremely strong mid game if you survive laning. Dr. Mundo is incredibly strong right now.

Mid lane, I would say pick up someone that's not an assassin, since you already have one. Syndra, Ziggs, Gragas(even though Gragas is an assassin), they're all good picks I think.

Jungle, pick up an assassin jungler like Diana or Kha'Zix, they're getting kind of popular, and a strong early game jungler like Elise, Lee Sin, Xin Zhao, Vi, etc.

ADC, Jinx. That's it. You could pick up another like Lucian, Vayne, or Caitlyn, but Jinx is all you need.

Support, I would recommend two picks you are basically needed to learn, and one who's incredibly strong as a counterpick. Thresh and Leona are necessary for any support player, and Morgana is super strong as a counter pick. Morgana is my go-to pick for support usually.

Yeah, big ol post which I probably screw up a lot about, but I don't think I messed up to much. One last thing that almost everyone will tell you: Comfort>counter. It's much better to play a champion you're comfortable with than a counter. Counters aren't always 100%, unless it's like Jax vs. Fiora. Then you'd have to be an idiot to fail that lane as Jax. Either way, you gain experience about the matchup, and you can learn from it to become better at a champion.

Do do do dee do do do
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2014 8:45am | Report
Counter sites can be a useful resource to give you some ideas of which champions might be strong for certain matchups, but counterpicks are often misunderstood or overestimated.

The best way to learn matchups is to play a champion a lot against a lot of different opponents. If you don't know what beats renekton, just play him until you run into some difficult opponents, judge how much their champion pick affects the laning phase and note the information for yourself.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
Droptimal
<Member>
Droptimal's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2014 10:25am | Report
Thanks. Glad to know I'm not totally off track and I'll take some of these to heart. Initially my 4 out of my 5 picks were based tiers (even though I think I misinterpreted Ahri's and I lucked out with Sivir as she was my first champ back when she was bad and now she got a huge buff since).

I don't follow tiers exclusively, but learning such a deep game with so many characters and knowing I would need a few characters per lane, I figured starting with a top tier for the first of my trinity might be a safe start to learn with.

Is there a way to easily reference early vs late game dominance? Is it more to do with base stats of what you're likely going to build on? I'm still figuring out quite a few of the characters and item builds.
Dychronius
<Member>
Dychronius's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 12, 2014 4:56pm | Report
It really depends on the champion. Renekton has high early damage, making him a strong lane bully, but the damage falls of late game, and he doesn't work well late game. The point of a tank is to either peel for your carry or walk on top of the enemy's carry. Renekton has bad peel with only one source of cc, and it's based off an autoattack, and his gap closer is small and depends on him running through something to be effective.

Nasus, on the other hand, has low early game damage, but with his q satcking on damage, it means that the longer the game goes, the stronger he'll get. He gets hugely tanky, has peel in one of the strongest slows in the game, and can smack people for 500+ damage if things go his way. His weakness, though, is his laning phase, where he isn't a giant tank or has stacks on his q for damage. It's really just a kit thing.

It can be hard to figure out who is strongest when, but a little bit of thinking on what their kit is, how it scales, what most tend to do on him, etc, that really lets you figure it out.

I remember seeing a website someone made on the league of legends subreddit that had a website entirely based on what diamond/challenger people did, and had graphs on winrate/length of game. Graphs like that can generally tell you when someone is strongest. If I find it, I'll post it here, it was a very nice website.

Watching professional play is also an idea. Listening to the casters can help you figure out who is strongest when.

The simplest way I can think of is literally opening up the wiki, looking at someones kit pre-6, and asking yourself "What do they bring to lane?" Example cause I recently played against one: Fiora. She has a passive that gives her bonus health regen when she uses autoattacks; a q which functions as a gap closer, and can be used twice in succession; a w which lets her block the opponents next basic attack; and an e which gives her bonus attack speed and movement speed. All in all, and strong kit for 1v1's. You don't get many 1v1 opportunities late game, and not a large amount mid-game, but early game is basically only a 1v1, so she seems to be strong early game.

Now, add in her ultimate. What does Fiora's ultimate do? She becomes invulnerable and dances around people, with each successive attack on the same target doing less damage. When would that be most useful? Early game is a lot of 1v1's, but it's useful for turret diving, so it's good here. Mid game, people are starting to group, but there isn't always 5 people. This is also when towers want to get pushed, so dives can happen. Still useful here. Late game, it's basically always groups of 5, or 4 and a splitpusher. Fiora's ult is less effective, as it won't do enough damage to kill everyone, or enough people for her to survive, and lacking tankiness usually means she'll die instantly after she ults. Late game, not useful.

So far, we've seen that her kit is fit for early-mid game, where she can 1v1 people and get away with it, as well as focus down on small groups of 2 or 3 people. This is also when people start completing their core items, and tanks aren't at fully tankiness yet, so she can actually do things to them. Once late game arrives, she's not tanky enough to survive going into the enemy team, and the enemies have enough items to survive her. All in all, she's stronger early-mid game. To be fair, I only figured this out today, and I played against one yesterday, so it takes some thinking.

Dear god what is with me and long posts today.

Do do do dee do do do
[deleted]
<Editor>
oxide110's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 13, 2014 1:36am | Report
When i'm picking against a champion that i want to counter usually the best way to find it is to go onto the champion you are playing against guide and look at the matchups, allows you to know what beats the champion by doing what etc.

London is one hour ahead of the rest of England -Luther3000
KriminalMonkie
<Member>
KriminalMonkie's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2014 3:19pm | Report
I won't really recommend counter-picking due to a wide variety of champions. Just stick to what your best at and then know your champions weakness. You will adapt to it. If they are aggressive then just farm it out and freeze lane. Hope this helps :)
MateusKingston
<Member>
MateusKingston's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 15, 2014 5:16pm | Report
Counter-Picking is only good when you know how to play with that character, the best way to counter a champion is knowing their weakness and then abusing of them, but don't counter pick yourself if you want to win, counter picking yourself will make your lane hard and hard to carry (not all times but...) only counter pick yourself if you really know what you're doing
If you're interested take a look at my Caitlyn guide Here and help me saying what I can do or modify something. Thank you
Droptimal
<Member>
Droptimal's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 18, 2014 9:44am | Report
I've been grinding pretty hard lately and just playing more characters, I'm starting to get a feel for what defines the matchup. Scaling from early to late is not something i've quite grasped yet. Hard to know if my attacks are stronger than theirs based on their kit.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide