Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Pvp is nothing like bots and I am in need of help

Creator: Uuskilu February 28, 2014 6:46am
Fat_fast
<Member>
Fat_fast's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 12, 2014 11:18am | Report
sirell wrote:

Truth is, I think the best way for you to learn how to play against PVP is just to repeatedly grind it. Just don't hesitate, press that PVP button and mute everyone in game.

Die a LOT, then learn how not to die. Just let experience guide you. Just don't be concerned when you **** up.

JUST DO IT. Some things are better learn than taught.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 12, 2014 12:11pm | Report
Nerosyth wrote:

Eh, I think you're exaggerating a bit there :D
I believe you should not be scared of pvp. I also believe there's only one way of playing against other players better. And that's experience.
You will LOSE A LOT. But honestly you just need to pick up the bits and pieces there as to why you lost, what mistakes you made here and there, and you'll eventually get better through practice.
If you've heard the phrase "practice makes perfect" It definitely applies in league.
Overall though you can get frustrated over a losing streak, so in that case you can just relax and have some fun over in aram.
Happy playing! :)

Not really. At the beginning, you will die a lot - you don't know how tower aggro or minion aggro functions, how trades work, what items to get - more so in PVP. You WILL die a lot. But that's okay, no one really cares about the outcome of pre-level 30 games anyway - just chill back and have fun.

One of the best ways to learn is by making mistakes. Thus, when you correct them, you are far more aware of it. Don't worry about getting things right the first time, just play the game and let the game experience flow into you as you gradually improve.

But otherwise, you just said pretty much what I said - just play and gain experience.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 12, 2014 4:34pm | Report
You know, I had that fear for around the same time you did and what I did was this: I played A LOT of Twisted Treeline.

Why?

1) People at my level at the time didn't really know what was good or bad on TT and didn't care they just played whatever they wanted. This allowed me to see more champs and get a better idea at what they do;
2) Less people = less mess = more time to focus on understanding the game;
3) I only learned this later but Treeline and SR MMR (skill level of the players you get paired with) didn't progress in parallel. This meant that once I felt ready to enter Summoner's Rift I got paired against people who were less experienced in general, allowing me to learn the intrincacies of SR itself (lanes, jungle, what's and whys)

What I suggest

1) Abuse other game modes for learning mechanics;
2) Try getting someone who is experienced with the game to help you now and then, but I don't think you should queue with them since you'll face a lot more experienced people than you;
3) Abuse free champs: try them all, see what you like, get to understand what they do so you have an easier time facing them;
4) Play the game;
Thank you Byron for 2014's loudest laugh up till today
Uuskilu
<Member>
Uuskilu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 12, 2014 11:44pm | Report
FalseoGod wrote:

You know, I had that fear for around the same time you did and what I did was this: I played A LOT of Twisted Treeline.

Why?

1) People at my level at the time didn't really know what was good or bad on TT and didn't care they just played whatever they wanted. This allowed me to see more champs and get a better idea at what they do;
2) Less people = less mess = more time to focus on understanding the game;
3) I only learned this later but Treeline and SR MMR (skill level of the players you get paired with) didn't progress in parallel. This meant that once I felt ready to enter Summoner's Rift I got paired against people who were less experienced in general, allowing me to learn the intrincacies of SR itself (lanes, jungle, what's and whys)

What I suggest

1) Abuse other game modes for learning mechanics;
2) Try getting someone who is experienced with the game to help you now and then, but I don't think you should queue with them since you'll face a lot more experienced people than you;
3) Abuse free champs: try them all, see what you like, get to understand what they do so you have an easier time facing them;
4) Play the game;

I did not know that about the MMR scaling for different game types and actually now I'm pretty decent if not ahead of players my level and I've been playing with 30's since I started playing the game haha , I've learned most of the mechanics from what I've played and hours of studying the game and for free champs , well I love trying out the ones I think are interesting and fun to play or just plain good but other than that I still have to learn to play all the champs I own (I have 45 cuz I bought both basic bundles haha)Really all I have left to learn is champs so that I can learn to play against/with them and of course there are always advanced stratagem I can learn but I totally go the basics down
All you guys are giving me great advice , thank you all ^_^
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the epic sigpic

Also, check out my Soundcloud, I make music..kinda
https://soundcloud.com/agentagent/tracks
MoonFever
<Member>
MoonFever's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 18, 2014 8:25am | Report
One of the main reasons I stay on bot games is that I don't feel I'm very good at this game, and want to avoid the chatroom flame wars. Do non-ranked PVP games tend to be fairly tame? Twisted Treeline vs. Summoner's Rift?

I like to try different builds, and have progressed in skill, but I have to work on CS and Map awareness, and having to listen to "Ima gold 4, you're terrible and should quit" isn't going to get me to want to play more and get better...
Uuskilu
<Member>
Uuskilu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 18, 2014 1:03pm | Report
MoonFever , I know the feel , I'm more comfortable playing PvP than I used to be but soemtimes it can get a bit hectic if I have annoying teammates who like to complain and wage type wars instead of just helping me out, it usualy only happens when I play against a champ i've never seen before but it'll go away eventually.
Feel free to add me and play sometime, I'm on the NA server IGN: Uuskilu
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the epic sigpic

Also, check out my Soundcloud, I make music..kinda
https://soundcloud.com/agentagent/tracks
Rhollback
<Member>
Rhollback's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 18, 2014 3:15pm | Report
Your best bet is indeed to try PvP over and over again.
I came to League with a slightly higher experience bar simply because at the time I was a Dota veteran, the only major things I had to relearn was small snippets like tower aggro mechanics or the fact that I can't deny.

But if Dota is anything like League ( they are in essence two very different games after all ), I would say that indeed self mutilation is your best bet. See what people do and expect the unexpected.

If you play against bots you'll see a Leona support and her swords will be rather easy to dodge.

You fight my Thresh I'll flash into your face, hook, then flay you helplessly.
That is something a bot would not do. Bots, in my opinion, are a breeding ground for bad habits. You learn things that are invalid or completely useless in the real battlefield.

Going there to occasionally try out a champ and see how they work is viable, but observing how they act or function as a player won't get you far, and in fact, will set you back harshly.

Thanks to the very talented The_Nameless_Bard
Omnislash GG
<Member>
Omnislash GG's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 22, 2014 5:16pm | Report
I didn't even play a PvP match until after I was 30 already. Big mistake, and it took a lot of screwups on my part to get to where I should be. I'm only Bronze 2, but I'm climbing. Keep doing those pre-30's while you can, because once you're max level, people expect you to know your stuff.
ZanofSu
<Member>
ZanofSu's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2014 10:13am | Report
I am in the same boat - but I'm only level 8. Some friends play and invite me to games, but they're up there: 17, 30 and 30 ranked. So - I tried PVP by myself, and the abuse in the chat was terrible. I was told to delete the game, give up, shoot myself - it was brutal. But turning off chat isn't helpful either, you need to know when to push, etc. Have a thick skin, read TONS and keep playing, regardless of the negativity.
R4GE
<Member>
R4GE's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2014 11:50am | Report
ZanofSu wrote:

I am in the same boat - but I'm only level 8. Some friends play and invite me to games, but they're up there: 17, 30 and 30 ranked. So - I tried PVP by myself, and the abuse in the chat was terrible. I was told to delete the game, give up, shoot myself - it was brutal. But turning off chat isn't helpful either, you need to know when to push, etc. Have a thick skin, read TONS and keep playing, regardless of the negativity.

Trust me, It'll be worse but you can avoid it. What do you mean with that it doesn't work blocking the chat? Players that are Level 8 isn't that skilled so they aren't able to deciede when to push etc. Ignoring your allies can be done by clicking TAB and then on bubble on the right. If you are experiencing someone being rude to you or another player, report them by the end of the game. I agree with you that it's good to have a thick skin, if you are sensitive playing with these raging kids will make you sad/angry. I don't agree with " keep playing, regardless of the negativity ", it's not good to LoL if you have experienced a harrasing ally in a game and you start another game while being frustrated because you'll think about what happened so you can't concentrate on the actual game.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide