Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Building a pc

Creator: mastrer1000 September 22, 2014 10:32am
49 posts - page 3 of 5
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 23, 2014 8:38am | Report
I'm more a software guy but here's my 2 cents:

I'd advise you to keep that SSD in there. It really is a great investment, especially if you shut your computer down often(things boot a lot faster).

Searz is probably right when saying the bottleneck usually lies around the GPU when talking about games, but I would advise getting a nice cpu like an i5k because it just makes everything else a much smoother experience. If you really plan to use the machine for gaming only then I don't think you have to though.

I agree on the harddisk part, last time I checked, the price difference between 1TB and 2TB was relatively small and 2TB of space means you can store a lot without worry. Note that some games are already starting to take up more than 20GB.

The SSD, on the other hand, would be fine like this in my opinion, if you only use it to store the OS files and some much-used software(make sure the libraries and stuff are stored on your harddisk, there are some instructions for that on the interwebz, on Windows it involves creating some config file during installation if I'm not mistaken). That's where it shines after all.

I think you should really add some info to the OP telling what you plan to use this machine for. Also, how long do you want to keep on running the new machine like this?

It will mostly be a gaming machine(I also added this to the op). I want to keep the machine the way it will be for a while unless something goes wrong(or if I suddenly get like 10k€ for some reason)
I am currently remaking my build with the site ichi linked because a lot of parts are cheaper there. I most likely will not replace the hdd by and ssd, but I might buy a 2/3tb hdd and/or a ssd.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 23, 2014 8:42am | Report
random question: Why is the ssd needed? Personally, I don't mind waiting up to 5 or so minutes for my pc to boot (doesn't take more than 2 though) and I feel as if everything loads fast enough... Sure you might save like what 10 minutes throughout the day but still... Seems more like a luxury than a necessity.
Thanks to Koksei for the sig!
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 23, 2014 9:15am | Report
XeresAce wrote:
random question: Why is the ssd needed? Personally, I don't mind waiting up to 5 or so minutes for my pc to boot (doesn't take more than 2 though) and I feel as if everything loads fast enough... Sure you might save like what 10 minutes throughout the day but still... Seems more like a luxury than a necessity.

It is a luxury, but a fairly common and affordable one.
Thanks to IPodPulse for this <3^
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 23, 2014 12:24pm | Report
Yeah it is not that much luxury anymore and with a 750€ cap a SSD should be included.

And yeah I mostly look at that page for building the best price-efficient systems :p
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2014 6:05am | Report
I'd advise you to keep that SSD in there. It really is a great investment, especially if you shut your computer down often(things boot a lot faster).

But it's not a high priority. If you need to save money I think it's a great idea to skip it and buy the SSD later when you have some more money.
"I saw [Twilight: Eclipse] in theaters with a girl I was dating at the time. I spent more time staring at my toes and wiggling them than I did watching this abomination. When Edward proposed to Blank Face, I finally looked up with a revelation.
I blurted out loud, in a dead silent theater full of teenage girls on opening night "Wait a minute, Edward has no blood flow. How does he get an erection?" I heard several men laughing, and had several girls turn and stare at me.

I did not get laid that night." - Berengier817
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 28, 2014 5:37am | Report
May I hijack this thread so I don't have to create a new one ?

Background: I built a pc meant for higher performance gaming few years back. For such
games as skyrim for example. I'm basically living in 2 places atm so I'm transferring
my current older pc there and I'm building a new one. The older pc will most likely
be downgraded into less usage and I'll take the useful parts out of it.

I haven't really followed the new releases and many of you seem to know a lot
about the newer components. The pc is meant to last for a longer while and
is mostly used for gaming.

Current pc is built of:

- INTEL CORE I5-2500K 3.3G
- POWERCOLOR HD6950 1024MB GDDR5
- KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS 2x4GB 1600MHZ DDR3
- Scrubby 500GB HDD
- 550W +80 PRO Core bronze edition powersource

What I'm looking from the version 2.0 & some thoughts:

- SSD
- Better graphic card (which is propably the biggest issue here)
- I think I can take the i5 2500k 3.3 and put it in the new one
- RAM Should also be no problem but I'm not sure how big of a difference there is between the
newer ones and the older ones.
- Powersource should be fine

As I said: I haven't researched any components for a few years so I'm open for opinions.
Money is no problem but reasoning behind the component is a must. Like there is no need
to buy 800€ graphic card or something.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 28, 2014 5:53am | Report
^To make it clear, you want a new PC and upgrades for your current PC?
Budget?
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 28, 2014 6:03am | Report
New PC but I'm wondering if I can take components from my older PC (that are useful enough).
You can ignore the older pc, I have plans for it.

I just posted my older pc components for comparison because I'm not too happy about it's performance.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 28, 2014 8:07am | Report
Joxuu wrote:
New PC but I'm wondering if I can take components from my older PC (that are useful enough).
You can ignore the older pc, I have plans for it.

I just posted my older pc components for comparison because I'm not too happy about it's performance.

Okay, so you just have 1 PC right now? (the one that you listed)

The PC that you listed should hold up very well even now.
At least the CPU and RAM should. It could get let down by the motherboard.
But if the motherboard is decent you should just upgrade your GPU and storage and it should be able to go for a few more years. A 4690K is only ~25% faster than a 2500K. And CPU performance is rarely the bottleneck when it comes to gaming. If you feel like you want more performance just buy a good cooler (if you just have the basic one you get with the CPU right now) and overclock that *****. 4GHz is an easy overclock and should yield almost the same performance as as a new 4670K/4690K.

Get a GTX970 and a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and the old PC will be screaming fast (assuming that the motherboard is decent).

Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 28, 2014 9:56am | Report
I'll buy the SSD for sure. Getting tired of long starting times. Cooler is also something
I've thought about buying. I'm unsure about the GTX970 but I'll consider.

Cheers.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide