Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

EA CEO on gaming microtransactions

Creator: caucheka March 19, 2012 10:26pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 1:23pm | Report
caucheka wrote:

developers got by just fine back in ps2 era with single player games that didnt have an online pass, i understand why they are doing it but as i mentioned they do it wrong.

don't give me this 'save me the download' ********, if the dlc is available on disc, that means the developers took time out of developing the game and put that to developing the dlc. they intentionally ripped part of the game out to sell it to you later. unless its cosmetic then thats ********.

yes ea is tricking people into buying an incomplete game when they rip part of the game out to sell you as dlc (thats not part of the online pass).

It seems you're too dense to understand the concept. I've tried my best and even gave practical examples on how it does not affect you at all, but it seem you just like to make things complicated for absolutely no reason. I mean, why would argue against not having to download and install the DLC? Why the hell would you be happier if they forced you to download it? It really makes no sense.

EA is not tricking anyone. If they wanted to trick you then you wouldn't know that there is an additional DLC until you had bought the game.

Their busisness model is pretty good and definitely simple enough for anyone to understand. It's a pity you're blind hate for EA makes you argue against them even when you have no reason to.
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 1:43pm | Report
Day one dlc is fine. So long as it is free to people who buy the game new.

But it sucks big time when day one dlc costs money and they sell the game for full price...

Other than that i like the idea of dlc. It is like an expansion pack, only you buy small pieces at a time.

And online passes. I don't give a ****, never bought a used copy, never will.
omagma
<Member>
omagma's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 1:48pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

It seems you're too dense to understand the concept. I've tried my best and even gave practical examples on how it does not affect you at all, but it seem you just like to make things complicated for absolutely no reason. I mean, why would argue against not having to download and install the DLC? Why the hell would you be happier if they forced you to download it? It really makes no sense.

EA is not tricking anyone. If they wanted to trick you then you wouldn't know that there is an additional DLC until you had bought the game.

Their busisness model is pretty good and definitely simple enough for anyone to understand. It's a pity you're blind hate for EA makes you argue against them even when you have no reason to.

Give this man some rep!
Thanks to me and Elleeeeeka (love that name) for my sigs.
If i made a helpful comment on your guide/build, then hit that +rep button. or don't, its not like i care.
ALL HAIL QUEEN CHRYSALIS!
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 1:48pm | Report
Well, that business model works as long as they make the CD cheaper. If they charge full price for an incomplete game and charge you an extra 10€ for the DLC then they're just being greedy and their costumers will just end up feeling betrayed and download a pirated game instead.

But I already said that and asked for the prices of ME2, ME3 and the ME3 DLC. That's the only way we'll know whether EA is being fair in having a DLC at launch or just trying to rip people off.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 1:49pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

Well, that business model works as long as they make the CD cheaper. If they charge full price for an incomplete game and charge you an extra 10€ for the DLC then they're just being greedy and their costumers will just end up feeling betrayed and download a pirated game instead.

Yap, exactly what I'd do :3
"every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning,"" - Colin Campbell
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 1:50pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately this is what they generally do. I'm fine with the online pass/free stuff for people who buy new and I'd be fine with paid launch stuff as well if they actually reduced the sale price to compensate. But they don't. It's just greed.
Yukimaru
<Member>
Yukimaru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 1:53pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately this is what they generally do. I'm fine with the online pass/free stuff for people who buy new and I'd be fine with paid launch stuff as well if they actually reduced the sale price to compensate. But they don't. It's just greed.

This is alrdy legit&works bro, that's why i hate the "revolution" of PC-Gaming, or Gaming in general and hate all the Steamstuff etc. the most sickest thing is Game+DLC on the first day, i mean wtf, u plan a Game so ppl buy it and not plan to make DLC on the first day -.-"
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 2:10pm | Report
Canoas wrote:
I mean, why would argue against not having to download and install the DLC? Why the hell would you be happier if they forced you to download it? It really makes no sense.

ok, my point wasnt that i'd rather they make me download it, but the fact that its on the disc makes it part of the game that you should have for free.

the only case that i agree with on day 1 dlc was gears of war 3, which was pushed back a few months so they put the first dlc on the disc to spare everyone the download. unless proven otherwise, all day 1 dlc is content that was ripped from the game to sell to you.

mass effect 3 is the perfect example of dlc gone wrong, as a script was leaked over a year before the game came out with his speech in it. he had been planned to be in the game for a long time, but at the last second was ripped out so they can charge you 10 extra bucks so the complete game is $70 and not $60.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 2:40pm | Report
caucheka wrote:

mass effect 3 is the perfect example of dlc gone wrong, as a script was leaked over a year before the game came out with his speech in it. he had been planned to be in the game for a long time, but at the last second was ripped out so they can charge you 10 extra bucks so the complete game is $70 and not $60.

Then you could have said that in the beginning instead of your other argument. I've said this in my first post and in 3 posts since then, this business model is better than the old one as long as the game+dlc is at the same price of the full game. The fact that one publisher chose to charge extra does not mean the business model is bad, it just means that the publisher is greedy.

caucheka wrote:
the only case that i agree with on day 1 dlc was gears of war 3, which was pushed back a few months so they put the first dlc on the disc to spare everyone the download. unless proven otherwise, all day 1 dlc is content that was ripped from the game to sell to you.

The proof that not all day 1 dlc are bad was given by you in the same paragraph..
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2012 5:51pm | Report
this is the only case where i can understand day 1 dlc, because the games release was pushed back so they had nothing else to do.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide