Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Lack of Good Guy Gregs.

Creator: Kirluu November 17, 2011 1:24am
8 posts - page 1 of 1
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2011 1:24am | Report
Hey. I just wanted to take up a tiny little subject about the MOBAFire community.

I can't seem to grasp, how many people like to actually go to the "Newest Guides" section, without actually voting on the builds. The amount of votes/comments on new content is just, in my eyes, amazingly low, compared to the amount of views the guides get.

I think we have a serious lack of Good Guy Gregs out there (Don't understand what that means, don't ask, it explains it self through "Good Guy").

To set an example, which of course was what inspired me to create this subject, take for instance my newest guide.

Viewed 1764 times
4 Votes

I'm not trying to commercialize for my own guide, but seriously, I put a lot of hard work into that guide, in trying to arrange the text in a way so everyone with at least basic knowledge of the game would understand.

The amount of views compared to the amount of votes is just ridiculous. Does it really have to be, that one has to spamlink one's guide all over the place just to get attention? I call that thumb-whoring, and it's not something I want to do (Aside from the link in my signature, which is there so people can check it out OUT OF INTEREST, and not because someone said "OMFG CHECK OUT MY NEWEST GUIDE NOW!! HEHE 2GUD U SHULD SEE").

Anyway, that's about it, I suppose.

We need more Good Guy Gregs! q_q

Note: To be completely honest I haven't been too much around the Newest Guides section too much, but I intend to try my best to at least get the quality guides up there, where they belong.

Thanks for reading along. Share your opinions, comments, etc.

Kirluu~
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2011 1:48am | Report
The number of votes is always going to be much lower than the number of views. That's not something new guides suffer from, it's something pretty much all guides suffer from. Whether you check the new guides, the top rated guides, the recommended guides, whatever.

A huge part of the community looks at guides because they want to learn something, not because they want to help the writer improve it.

You realize what you're asking of this community don't you?
There are so many guides being released every day, it's impossible even for a 'Good Guy Greg' to keep up with that.
Reviewing guides takes some time (if done properly) and not even all writers take the time to look at comments and change their guide based on the recommendations of others (trust me, I know).

Yes, if you want people to look at your guide, you should be active on the forums. Why? Because it shows you're dedicated and want to improve your guide and in the end that is what will separate you from the others.
There are always review threads like Icuonuez' Review Thread or SirSpankAlot's Review Thread to go to if you really want someone to take a look. Also, a lot of members are willing to look at your guide if you simply PM them and ask nicely.

I know what you're saying and I don't disagree, but they're out there ;)

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2011 8:08am | Report
4 votes and 1700 views is not even below average. That's better than a lot of guides get tbh.
Azator
<Member>
Azator's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2011 8:12am | Report
The reason is that people who are not registered can not vote.
Zoki
<Member>
Zoki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2011 8:12am | Report
4 votes in 1700 means one vote per 425 views. My guide's vote to view ratio is 1 vote per 3700 views.

A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
Sigs made by: LaCorpse, jhoijhoi, Katoki, JEFFY40HANDS, The_Nameless_Bard and Sk1llbug
-||- Check out my Master Yi guide -||-
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2011 8:49am | Report
You should see some of my vote ratios~ Lolz.
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2011 10:09am | Report
I hardly vote, but most of times I leave a comment, and people who are really interested generally PM me so I can go check what they've done.
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2011 4:52pm | Report
Well there's a reason that my view/vote ratio isn't that bad yet. My guide is still new and fresh, and I'm lucky to have gotten 4 votes on the amount of time I got them, but it seems to stop fairly quickly. New guides have a small amount of time to be able to reach where people will see them under the "top guides" section. It requires a ton of attention if a good guide needs to get up there at all.

I can only imagine how many hard-worked out, and well done guides are sitting there with their low percents never getting seen or used again.
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide