Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

LOTR - Simply Epic

Creator: Nighthawk May 26, 2013 2:16am
24 posts - page 1 of 3
1 2 3
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2013 2:16am | Report
So I may have gotten a bit drunk yesterday. And I may have been drinking wih some of my friends at my house. Now as a resul of boredom and drinking combined, I watched the entire trilogy of the LOTR on tv. Coming out of that at the end, I do believe Eowyn has to be a) the best, without a doubt female character in the movie. Also possibly the best character period, although I believe that to be quite close. And d) She's probably my favorite character in the movies. The second thing is, lol wtf these movies are so overrated, lots of things wrong with them and didn't really stay true to the book in some important parts. Can't remember what I was going to say. Also Aragorn should have married Eowyn, ****s sake Aragorn.

Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2013 2:22am | Report
I've always said that books are better than the movies :3 But then again, LOTR (movie series lol) has actually won 16 oscars and had 30 nominations lol :D

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
IShouldGetALife's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2013 2:57am | Report
It's not just the movies that are overrated the books are great if you are into having unnecessary things explained to you while necessary things left out, also it was written by a professor of linguistics and that is extremely obvious as he decides to leave things like say, slaying a dragon to maybe half a page explanation while things like breakfast and how it is cooked for more than a page. Also the storyline is skimmed over at best so all in all not worth the hype that it has gotten itself books like George RR Martins A song of Ice and Fire or Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series are better examples of the epic fantasy genre and are written by actual authors not linguists.
If I have helped in anyway at all a +rep will be appreciated lots
Thanks to LaCorpse, Hogopogo and JhoiJhoi for the amazing sigs
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2013 3:15am | Report
In the books of A Song of Ice and Fire, I really dislike the long battle parts. Yeah, I don't. I am more of a lore and dialogue fan when it comes to books.

I didn't read LOTR, but if they are like you said, more dialogue and lorewise than action wise, then I would like those books probably more.

Dem people and dem opinions :P
Change is gooooood
Picture by: MrMad2000

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2013 3:19am | Report
Well I know that people have opinions but I didn't mean it has lore i mean it has walls of unrelated text and small amounts of lore also Wheel of Time has a lot of lore in it and the battle scenes aren't too long, but if you want to read it prepare to put aside a chunk of your life as it has 14 books all around the 900 page mark. Another thing is that in the LotR series the chunks of information are gotten through laboriously at the best of times as it is long winded rambling in many parts.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2013 3:53am | Report
If you really want to read a LOTR related masterpiece with a lot of lore, geology and culture, read Silmarillion. That book tells you like the story of creating Arda, how Eldar and Humans were born/created etc. I truly think that this book makes me think LOTR is awesome because I know some of the background and the lore is just awesome. And you must admit that J.R.R. Tolkien did a great work. He created 6 Elven languages, 1 human language, 1 dark language, and dwarf language. He also created the Elvish story (based on Finnish epos Kalevala) which is pretty amazing IMO.

Then again, it's all about everyone's likes and dislikes and opinions etc.

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2013 4:15am | Report
Nighthawk wrote:

So I may have gotten a bit drunk yesterday. And I may have been drinking wih some of my friends at my house. Now as a resul of boredom and drinking combined, I watched the entire trilogy of the LOTR on tv. Coming out of that at the end, I do believe Eowyn has to be a) the best, without a doubt female character in the movie. Also possibly the best character period, although I believe that to be quite close. And d) She's probably my favorite character in the movies. The second thing is, lol wtf these movies are so overrated, lots of things wrong with them and didn't really stay true to the book in some important parts. Can't remember what I was going to say. Also Aragorn should have married Eowyn, ****s sake Aragorn.

Still drunk?
Cuz this just seems like drunken rambling.
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2013 5:04am | Report
@janitsu as I said he was a professor in linguistics so making up languages isn't such a big deal to him (I think he made like 20 others) and I've heard that the silmarillion is a bit more informative with the lore and whatnot but the actual series isn't as good as it's made out to be
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2013 5:17am | Report
@IShouldGetALife It still isn't an easy thing to make up something from nowhere. He worked on the languages from WWI to his death and still he says in his notes that he wasn't happy with them. He did a lot of work only because he wasn't happy with things that others were amazed by.

The actual LOTR series is good but there are so many editions of it that the story isn't the same as it was back in 1954. There are a lot of changes made by J.R.R. Tolkien which made the story at least a little bit different. I do understand though that some people like battle scenes in movies and in books but I like the lore and dialogue more :3 (Epic battle scene in Twilight is OP)

TL;DR He did a hard work and worked from the WWI until he died.

IShouldGetALife
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2013 6:06am | Report
Im not denying that but what I was saying originally was that looking at it objectively it isn't actually a good series because of the fact that it is blatantly obvious that he didn't put as much work into the story as he did with the languages as the storyline is lackluster at best in some spots.

Damn typing on a phone keyboard is hard.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide