Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Official Mobafire PC thread

Creator: Vynertje August 3, 2015 11:59am
541 posts - page 15 of 55
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 16, 2015 9:44pm | Report
So...my laptop's integrated webcam has never had any issues. Suddenly, earlier today, it froze in a skype call and refused to work after that point. When I restarted my computer, the it no longer showed as installed in my device manager. I have since done a system restore, so the webcam is showing again, but it's hidden and I can't enable it (it says it's disconnected (error code 45)).

The really strange thing is that it's clearly on, since the light next to it is on and doesn't turn off unless I turn the laptop off. I'm running some scans now, because I'm paranoid enough to think my webcam might have been hijacked (though I have no reason to think such).

I'd really prefer to find a solution that doesn't require me to send it back to newegg to have it fixed (because I won't have access to other computers particularly during however long that would be), but I'm starting to think something is just physically wrong with Acer integrated webcams since there are loads of threads where people complain about similar issues to this.

Anyone have any helpful advice?
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 16, 2015 10:34pm | Report
Have you tried updating the drivers?
You also mentioned forum threads, if there are any suggestions in those, you should try them out.
Thanks to IPodPulse for this <3^
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2015 12:19am | Report
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2015 4:44am | Report
Aaaaaaand now it magically works after running some scans and ****. I'd already tried updating the drivers, among other things, and none of it worked.

It's no longer just sitting there on all of the time while "not being connected" in my device manager, which was, presumably, why it wouldn't work in any programs.

*paranoia intensifies*
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2015 4:50am | Report
Well it's known that integrated laptop webcams are relatively vulnerable. Though I don't think paranoia is warranted here, it doesn't hurt to cover your webcam when you're not using it like you can do with external ones.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2015 5:01am | Report
Vynertje wrote:
Well it's known that integrated laptop webcams are relatively vulnerable. Though I don't think paranoia is warranted here, it doesn't hurt to cover your webcam when you're not using it like you can do with external ones.
I'm just paranoid because I've just moved to a new place and I have no idea how secure the connection is. I don't do anything particularly nefarious on the internet and I rarely download anything, so I don't know what happened. The camera app kept saying the camera was being used by another program, the camera was definitely on when I went to sleep and now it's off, and the device manager showed it as not connected (which meant I couldn't disable it). Running malware/virus scans (which I already do regularly) seemed to fix the issue, so that's cool, I guess.

Makes me go a little crazy.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2015 5:06am | Report
Quoted:

The camera app kept saying the camera was being used by another program

I have the same with the very old webcam I'm using, the software sometimes crashes. Since it's external, I can just restart my PC and plug my webcam in again to fix it, but I guess that doesn't work for you. Reinstalling webcam software may be a good safety measure and should also fix any webcam issues in the future.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2015 5:08am | Report
It has only done that when skype/roll20/other was running in the past though. I've never had any issues with anything until now.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2015 6:48am | Report
Searz wrote:

You're streaming at a rate above your actual connection speed. Your connection can handle 1200kb/s. Assuming that you want some headroom for the game and potential VOIP or other internet software you might wanna put the bitrate slightly lower. Around 1000-1100kb/s.

You can get a slight increase in visual quality if you lower the audio quality.
I recommend dropping the sampling frequency ("Format") to 44.1kHz and bitrate to 64. If audio sounds bad then you could increase the bitrate to 96 or use mono instead of stereo (although the stream obviously loses positional audio from that ofc).

You should probably be removing the custom x264 encoder settings from your advanced tab. At least the CRF part. Because you're kind of adhering to several methods of setting quality. That could cause issues. The bitrate should be the quality decider, not the CRF setting (doesn't affect encoding speed, the x264 CPU preset is what affects performance and you already have that at minimum).

Thanks, that seems to have made a pretty noticeable difference.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2015 7:06am | Report
Aaaaaaand now it magically works after running some scans and ****. I'd already tried updating the drivers, among other things, and none of it worked.

It's no longer just sitting there on all of the time while "not being connected" in my device manager, which was, presumably, why it wouldn't work in any programs.

*paranoia intensifies*

Okay, one question: do you have a Lenovo laptop? Because they are known to have vulnerabilities and backdoors.

Your PC doesn't suddenly turn vulnerable from an insecure network. At most the info you're sending might be read by other parties, they can't hijack your PC from that.
Sittin' on chimneys, putting fire up my ***.

"I biked 12km in a blizzard today and mice are chewing on my chocolate bars. Life's good."

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide