Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Enchanted Armor Graves

Creator: secondiana November 24, 2014 11:18am
Worth or Not?
secondiana
<Member>
secondiana's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2014 11:18am | Report
I've been fancying the idea of using my first 2 points in the Defense tree on the Mastery called Enchanted Armor when using Graves. This would give me 5% extra bonus armor, which of course you can see scales very well with Graves's passive. My question is if this is an acceptable replacement for the +2 HP5 from the Recovery Mastery.

On one hand, +2 HP5 doesn't sound like much, and it really isn't. It's the standard for any ADC running 21/9/0 however, just because the other Masteries are not useful to a carry and the +2 HP5 can make quite a difference in healing from bad trades in the very early game. In other words, it might just save you from feeding First Blood. While it may seem that foregoing Recovery would not be missed, the armor granted from Enchanted Armor may be equally negligible. Let's look at the numbers while we determine the effective bonuses:

+9 Armor from Runes
+1 Armor per second from passive: +10 max
+3.2 Armor per level

So starting the game with 9 Armor Seals and stacking your passive to 10 will give 19 bonus armor at level 1, and the 5% bonus multiplier will give you 19.95--damn close to 20. 1 point of Armor is certainly nothing to write home about, but don't forget that this is a level 1 bonus and +3.2 Armor/level will give us 0.16 bonus armor per level.

At level 6, when your passive conveniently upgrades to +2 Armor per second, you can achieve a maximum of 45 bonus Armor, which will equal an Enchanted 47.25 Armor. This is 225% of the bonus at level 1, so I'm not really seeing any exponential growth yet.

The next milestone would be level 11, at which your passive grants up to 30 Armor. With all of your bonuses at level 11, you should have 71 bonus Armor and 74.55 Enchanted Armor--3.55 increase.

In the end, I think we can see that the growth follows a relatively straight pattern, and the bonuses don't seem to add up to much over time. Just for fun, the maximum bonus Armor you could have at level 18 with no Armor items is 93.4 and that would grow to 98.07. At level 18, the Enchanted Armor Mastery should give you just under 5 extra armor.

I still kind of like the idea of Enchanted Armor, because the bonus is not completely useless at level 1, and ~5 Armor is much better than +2 HP5 at level 18. I'm going to give it a few goes and see what the results are.

Note that this theory is not even considering the fact that you could have more bonus Armor than what is shown here. The Chain Vest for Guardian Angel will give a hefty +40 Armor; +42 with bonus. If you plan on taking this theory to the max you can lane with Braum or Taric to get even more free armor.

So what's your opinion on this? Is Enchanted Armor a viable Graves strategy? Is it is a worthy alternative to Recovery? I will say that yes it is a fair tradeoff and can make Graves incredibly tanky in the right situation.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2014 3:37pm | Report
Enchanted armor is pretty much never worth it.

The armor per level that everyone gets, other than Thresh, isn't actually effected by the mastery. The amount of armor you get on most characters is exceptionally low, even if you buy full armor.

For example, if you get 6 Thornmails, you will have 600 bonus armor. The mastery brings it up to a whopping total of 630, not including base armor or runes/masteries. The problem with having that much armor is that it's less effective than buying health at that point. Anyone with magic damage will melt you, and people getting a Last Whisper will also shred you since you don't have any health to back up that now ~350 armor.

All in all, I feel it's a bad mastery.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2014 8:10pm | Report
Well, they are both bad masteries. Most masteries are bad actually.
FantasySniper
<Member>
FantasySniper's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2014 11:12pm | Report
You'll only get maximum 1.1-2.1 MR and 0.95-1.95 Armor as a bonus, from Lv 1 to Lv 13.

That amounts to an average 16.5-83.6 value in effective health, versus the 72 in Hp5.

You do need to build up the True Grit for 10 whole seconds, too, though.

Enchanted Armor is completely impractical on your average Graves.
If you want to help me, teach me.
Vaan99
<Member>
Vaan99's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2014 4:59am | Report
It's bad mastery, not worth taking, 2 hp/5 isn't good either, but there isn't any better option in that tier.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide