Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

[[Riven]] Vs. [[Gangplank]] Top Lane. Who wins?

Creator: AncientNecro January 20, 2012 12:48pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
example1013
<Member>
example1013's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2012 5:18pm | Report
I take it 45 ArPen wouldn't be enough to counter Chain Vest?
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2012 5:29pm | Report

I take it 45 ArPen wouldn't be enough to counter Chain Vest?

Mildly unrelated: I was playing first time singed against Riven solotop.
I rushed frozen heart and she couldn't do **** to me.

In order to get 45 ArP, you have to have full ArP runes and the masteries for flat ArP as well. Then you have to rush a brutalizer. You're only sitting at like, 42 flat ArP now. Not even going above the value of a chain vest.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2012 5:31pm | Report
More importantly, consider the cost efficiency of a chain vest verse 45 ArP.
example1013
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2012 6:06pm | Report
Okay, doing some quick math has been eye-opening. GP with armor yellows and blues that starts cloth/5 and buys chain vest at level 5 has 115 armor. Riven with arpen reds and quints and a brutalizer only gets 40 flat arpen, reducing GP's armor to 75. That still represents a 40% decrease in Riven's damage, despite the fact that Riven has spent an extra 337 over Gangplank just to get one of 3 sub-2000g items that directly counter or circumvent armor (the other two being on-hit items), and the only one that builds into a later item that's actually useful, meanwhile GP can easily convert the Chain Vest into Atma's later, as it synergizes with his kit quite nicely (especially when using the Atmog's combination).

What this means is that Riven can be itemized against cheaply and effectively, with no early-game item counters to that itemization available to her, and little help from runes. I can see why Duff calls her a gimmick champ now.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2012 6:32pm | Report
Yes indeed good sir. There's a multitude of reasons why GP comes out on top if you know how to itemize against Riven. If you think GP is good once you've done the math, do the math for Olaf, LAWL.

It plays out in game too, when you trade, when you chase, everything. GP has the tools to win the lane.

I should add, Riven works well if you know when to pick her, but as an "Every game champ" she becomes a gimmick. AKA don't expect to win every lane for free with Riven.
example1013
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2012 7:15pm | Report
I will say that GP would lose a full-to-zero toe-to-toe fight (and would even lose if Riven were short 200 HP), assuming the two have mirror builds (not counting health pots, crits, and summoner spells, ofc), at least for the math I did on a level 5 fight, but the ranged harass gives him way too much of an advantage in a real-game situation over Riven.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2012 7:17pm | Report
Well GP's a ranged melee. He can do a little bit of both and mastery of how and when to engage and disengage and when/why to chase, what to to build, etc, will almost always cause a player to win that match up.
example1013
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2012 7:29pm | Report
I will say that Olaf isn't even fair to place against Riven. The fact that he deals unresistable damage (and a lot of it) puts his DPS way higher than hers even if he builds straight defensive items, and he has much better sustain and attack speed over the course of a fight, this besides his significantly higher base HP and resistances.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2012 7:32pm | Report
ISlightly related...I did a norms draft game last night....decided to take corki cuz none of my friends had a strong solo top. Needless to say I destroyed my lane opponent (renekton)....normally I rush triforce on corki...opted to get wriggles and proceeded to feed myself on aligator chunks....corki's passive true damage and valyrie makes him a solid solo top. I've seen pros playing him top. But the thought never occured to me as how free win corki is against melee based ad champs...
ClearDays
<Member>
ClearDays's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2012 7:42pm | Report

ISlightly related...I did a norms draft game last night....decided to take corki cuz none of my friends had a strong solo top. Needless to say I destroyed my lane opponent (renekton)....normally I rush triforce on corki...opted to get wriggles and proceeded to feed myself on aligator chunks....corki's passive true damage and valyrie makes him a solid solo top. I've seen pros playing him top. But the thought never occured to me as how free win corki is against melee based ad champs...

Corki was always a strong solo top! :D

Recall back to the time of AD Solos. Corki was highly regarded as one of the best solo-tops in the game back then because of his raw damage and ability to trade and escape ( Also blind, but he lost that ability ).

In short : Corki is still a good solo top. TheRainMan won like 5/6 games with Corki Solo top one day when he was duo queuing with I_Will_Dominate.

Bree has some sexy work! Click the yellow text to visit her shop :)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide