Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Tiger stance vs Pheonix stance

Creator: Searz September 15, 2011 1:48am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 14
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2011 1:48am | Report
I decided to investigate this topic further now that Udyr is a top tier jungler.

1/14/15 masteries

Cloth+pots start

Aggressive path, with start at wolves.

• 03:45 with AD quints+ArP marks and ~04:05 with MS quints+ArP marks.

• About 10% more single target DPS.

• MUCH better burst. You need to hit your target with ALL the waves of Phoenix and at least one "3rd attack" for it to deal ~10% less single target DPS.

• Better sustainability.

• As fast as Phoenix stance or faster with Wriggle's Lantern.

• 03:30 with MS quints+AS marks and 03:35 with MS quints+ArP marks.

• 03:25 with AS marks+AS quints and 03:28 with ArP quints+AS marks

• About 30% more DPS than Phoenix on a single target per extra target hit by the waves AND every 3rd attack. That means that 2 targets hit = 20% more DPS than Tiger and 3 targets = 50% more DPS.

• Doesn't need Wriggles to be really fast in the jungle.

It seems to me like Phoenix is the superior choice right now. Tiger has monstrous early ganks, but Phoenix gets just as monstrous just because it's ~20% faster in the jungle.

Maxing Phoenix and leaving Tiger at rank 3 also seems best. I've heard some people are starting with Phoenix, but later ranking Tiger, but I don't think that's good anymore. Opinions?
"Blizzard spoke thus; Thou shalt not BM. And the players replied Nay, I shall Play my hand with Lethal already on the board. And so Blizzard sent unto them this Brawl of Yogg, As a lesson for their sins of Pride and Greed, for he is the Prophet of Madness and RNG. On that day, the tavern descended into an era of chaos and darkness, until the weekend passed and everyone forgot all about it. Amen. Book of SMOrc, Verse 20, Chapter 4." - Feam T
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2011 2:57am | Report
Pheonix is far superior... Did you see RS vs TSM? .. RS udyr maxed Pheonix, bear and turtle instead of tiger and still dominated the entire game... friggin unbelievable, I never thought that pheonix udyr would be so strong..
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2011 3:12am | Report
How is that relevant? --.--
It's not like you're comparing them in any way..
"If someone is ****, you point at them and declare "****!". Because this is the internet." - Serpentiferous

"The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and little girls are the FBI." - ???
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2011 3:29am | Report
its sort of targeted to:

It seems to me like Phoenix is the superior choice right now. Tiger has monstrous early ganks, but Phoenix gets just as monstrous just because it's ~20% faster in the jungle.

Maxing Phoenix and leaving Tiger at rank 3 also seems best. I've heard some people are starting with Phoenix, but later ranking Tiger, but I don't think that's good anymore. Opinions?

Pheonix also has monstrous ganks, I would go as far to say BETTER early game ganks than tiger. Also people are just sticking to pheonix but revolving around a tanky/AS build
Mazuran
<Member>
Mazuran's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2011 4:09am | Report
Searz wrote:

I've also heard the suggestion of having Lvl 5 Tiger and Phoenix, leaving Turtle and Bear at Lvl 4 apiece - so they're not necessarily mutually exclusive.

The general agreement is that Phoenix is faster in the Jungle, but with less burst for ganks; while Tiger is slightly slower in the jungle but has more "OMG BUUUUURST" for ganks.

- Tiger burst has an enormous psychological power - AFAIK it's one of the best early game bursts available, and having a chunk of your HP disappear that quickly from one single source can and will make people think twice about sticking around for another dose.

- The super-fast Phoenix clear time means that you can be ganking a lane while you're a level, maybe 2, higher than the people on the lane. Which is of course a ridiculous advantage that early in the game.

- And remember that for the Phoenix DPS to work, you need them to hold still, while Tiger DoT only needs the one attack. Can be problematic with slippery characters like Wukong, Shaco, etc.

Not much there in the way of numbers, I'm afraid, but imo they're things that need to be taken into account when deciding which is better.
samgoeslol
<Member>
samgoeslol's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2011 4:30am | Report
thats not quite true since phoenix stance deals about as much dmg as tiger its just less frontloaded (gotta hit all ticks T_T) and you get extra ap/ad from phoenix, so i dont rly see any rason to max anything else first
greez sam
<-summonername on EUW: strawhatbro
check out my blog
+rep if you like my posts^^
watch my stream
follow me on twitter and facebook
Mazuran
<Member>
Mazuran's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2011 5:37am | Report
samgoeslol wrote:

thats not quite true since phoenix stance deals about as much dmg as tiger its just less frontloaded (gotta hit all ticks T_T) and you get extra ap/ad from phoenix, so i dont rly see any rason to max anything else first
greez sam

...?

Although I'd forgotten about the bonus AD/AP from Phoenix. The AP doesn't do much for actual Phoenix DPS (the ratios suck from what I remember), but the AD is useful.
In fact, does that bonus AD from Phoenix do anything for Tiger stance? More something to worry about mid-late game, perhaps.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2011 6:06am | Report
I've accounted for EVERYTHING (yes, that means the AD and AP from P stance too) in my rough comparisons of DPS.

Tiger WILL HAVE 10 to 15% more single target DPS.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2011 6:13am | Report
Kind of just boils down to Pure Tank Udyr vs. Tanky DPS Udyr. Currently I prefer Phoenix > Tiger because I play Solo top Udyr and WANT to push the lane, and Phoenix does a better AoE job of that. If I get any real dps items at all then Tiger stance is probably better. It's down to personal preference, really.

Ready to be reviewed?
Mazuran
<Member>
Mazuran's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2011 6:24am | Report
Searz wrote:

I've accounted for EVERYTHING (yes, that means the AD and AP from P stance too) in my rough comparisons of DPS.

Tiger WILL HAVE 10 to 15% more single target DPS.

Fair enough.

Nighthawk wrote:

Kind of just boils down to Pure Tank Udyr vs. Tanky DPS Udyr. Currently I prefer Phoenix > Tiger because I play Solo top Udyr and WANT to push the lane, and Phoenix does a better AoE job of that. If I get any real dps items at all then Tiger stance is probably better. It's down to personal preference, really.

Fair comment. Personal preference counts for a lot, after all.

Lane Udyr is in my experience a different beast to jungle Udyr though - Laning you have to worry about pushing the lane or not, while a jungler doesn't have to worry about that sort of thing so much; Junglers have to juggle being able to clear the creep camps quickly and efficiently while still having enough single target DPS to pull off successful ganks - which is where the whole Phoenix vs Tiger debate seems to have come from in the first place.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 14

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide