Veigar Build Guide by Mikuroo
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
January 3rd, 2012
Started working on the guide
January 7th, 2012
I added in some item changes, that I find work better.
January 9th, 2012
I added in a new section, for "best team comps" because I have found Veigar working less when there is another AP on the team, and I would like to highlight that. Also touched up a few errors.
January 19t, 2012]
touched up my coding :)
//Hello, this is Mikuroo’s Veigar guide to doing well in 3vs3, Twisted Treeline. This is my second build on mobafire, my first being Evelynn 3vs3 found here.
//In this build, I will describe the differences in 3vs3 and 5vs5 for specifically Veigar. I will show you how to build your items, masteries and runes for maximum potential. I am sure that if you test out my guide and you are good, you will get very good results.
I would also like to credit jhoijhoi for this amazing build template which can be found here. Onwards into the guide! PLEASE READ ALL OF IT IF YOU WANT TO VOTE! This is a guide in process and I am willing to change things if it makes the guide better.
Pros / Cons
Pros+ // He has one of the best burst in the game.
+ // His skill shots are reasonably easy to land.
+ // He is a good harass early game.
+ // He gets AP faster than any other champ.
+ // His ultimate counters AP carrys.
+ // It is fun to watch your enemy’s HP go down in a couple seconds.
Cons- // He runs out of mana fast if you do not play him right.
- // He is pretty squishy when ganked.
- // His only escape is Event Horizon
- // He is last hit dependant.
- // A silence will kill him.
// The 21 points in the utility tree is self explanatory. You are a burst and you need all that AP for killing enemies. That 6% damage boost is almost always up when attacking a target because of your burst, it will help you finish off a champion. Mental Force , Summoner's Wrath , Blast , and Archmage all give good boosts to your AP.
// The 9 points in utility tree help with Veigar’s mana regen and mana problems, which is the main weakness to veigar’s early game. Also, in 3vs3 being dead for a couple less seconds may mean getting somewhere faster. You are an important resource to your team, and if you are dead they lose a lot. In 5vs5 this is different because they have only lost one out of five players.
: // These quintessence’s are better than the scaling ones for Veigar because his early game is where he gets most of his farm. These allow you to harass and last hit much better.
- greater mark of replenishment: // Mana Regen is useful, mostly for early game so you can get more Baleful Strike Last hits.
: // This AP scales throughout the game and will keep up a decent amount.
- greater seal of Replenishment: // In general, you do not actually need this much mana regen, but in order to harass while at the same time farm, this is very useful. This allows you to use Dark Matter, while originally dark matter is usually a waste of mana.
//Go ahead and replace what you feel best for you, but DO NOT replace those quintessence’s. They are important.
[Flash]: // This spell is your very good escape mechanism. Especially in 3vs3, you can do a lot with this, considering you’re always going to have a wall to flash over. However, this is your only dependable escape plan, so use it wisely.
[Ignite]: // you may be wondering why I would take ignite on a burst character. Many people underestimate Ignite’s damage, and it can be used good to finish a kill, without chasing too far. Another reason this spell is good is because it helps Veigar secure first blood almost always. First blood is important to get Veigar’s Income running.
- Equilibrium: //This passive is amazing and especially amazing on Veigar. I could not ask for a better passive, and without this Veigar would be the worst character in Lol. At most times, your mana pool should have enough mana for 2-3 Baleful Strikes, increasing mana regen by a ton. This skill also lets you last in lane even if you don’t even have mana for 1 Baleful Strike.
- Baleful Strike (Q): // This is your mana tool. With a very short cooldown, this gives you a great harass, a great last hitting tool, and an item’s worth of AP by the end of the game. Always remember, last hitting with this is crucial. Always know how much damage your baleful strike does, and use it to last hit as much as possible. Fail to do this, you are not a good Veigar Player.
//Tip: In the early game, do not be afraid to poke with this if your opponent is over extended. In fact, you will want to bring your opponent to half health with this before level 6.
- Dark Matter (W): // This skill is very situational, and predictable with its skill animation. However, this is part of your main combo, chained with Event Horizon you can guarantee a hit, and with its high 1:1 AP ratio, this does a ****load of damage.
- Event Horizon (E): // This is your stun. This is your escape skill. This is your initiator. This move is amazing, with a huge area of stun. This spell does not stun characters inside the ring, only people who touch it. Do not cast this AROUND an enemy. If you can guess where your enemy is moving next, you should, in theory, be able to kill him with this move.
- Primordial Burst (R): // This is your killer move. This should burst them down so fast that I should guarantee your team a kill anywhere in early to mid game. This name definitely fits the skill, as it has an enormous scaling of 1.2:1 AP. It also takes a wooping 80% of the persons AP and adds it to the already crazy damage. Always keep this in mind. This shuts down AP Carries as fast as I can shut down by computer with the power switch.
//Order for Veigar makes sense and is very simple. Max Baleful Strike first because it is your farming and harassing skill. Then get Event Horizon to level 1 for the stun. This will help you get away in case your opponent attempts to kill you. Take 1 point in Dark Matter in case you want to poke. Then get Event Horizon to level 3. Why level three? I have to give some props to PsiGuard for his Veigar guide. A level three event horizon will allow you to combo your spells. A level 1 Event horizon simply does not let your Dark Matter land.
Primordial Burst > Baleful Strike > level 1 Event Horizon > level 1 Dark Matter > level 3 Event Horizon > Dark Matter > Event Horizon, If that makes any sense. Basically, max ulti whenever possible, max baleful at level 9, get one point in event horizon, then one point in dark matter, then get event horizon to level 3, and then max dark horizon. Finally, max event horizon.
: // I get this item first because it will allow you to stay in lane a lot longer. The 100 Hp is much more useful then you think. Also the mana regen helps, and the AP gives you an early game boost. This item is just the best starting item you can get.
: // Buying boots is a must, because it gives you movement speed, obviously. These shoes give you magic penetration, which will boost your damage. This magic penetration may even do more than buying an AP item because of the magic resistance it goes through. But there is another option for shoes that I love in twisted treeline. These are Boots of Mobility because they allow you to be anywhere in this tiny map. If you feel your damage is still really good, you can buy these instead. Also, these are best bought if you push your lane a lot, so you can go gank bottom lane.
- Kage's Lucky Pick: // I buy this item because of the 25 AP and the gold per 10 seconds. This item gives you more gold, which is necessary for a carry. Even though it will not pay for itself, it will be built into one of your main items, Deathfire Grasp. I tend to buy kage's lucky pick earlier because it will be much more cost worthy.
: // there is really no need to explain this item. CDR, mana regen, AP and an amazing Active, this will allow you to burst even harder on Enemies. Remember, the damage scales to their health, so don’t use this if they are at half hp or so.
: // This is an important item to any AP caster, and will add much more AP then its cost, very efficient Ap wise.
: // once your opponent sees your burst, they are going to build at least some magic resist like a Negatron Cloak. Also gives you more AP. Buy this item if you have enough gold, but usually the game is over by now.
//Warding is an essential part of map awareness, and is less frustrating in this small map, compared to Summoner’s Rift. It allows you to see ganks easily, for all you need to do is place a few wards. If you feel you are doing well, buy some of these on your trip back. Otherwise, leave these to your team members. NOTE: If you have a Teemo, Shaco or Caitlyn on your team you may ask them to “ward” the place with their own “wards.” However, do not use characters like Heimerdinger because he needs his turrets for dps.
//Veigar is an extremely important part of the team, as you will be their AP Carry. You are also a very good initiator. This is because of Event Horizon. This spell wins team fights. You must know this, and you must learn to place it well. Placed in the small corridors of Twisted Treeline, you can separate teams, or stun them all.
//In a fight, 1vs1, you should be able to burst them down no matter what. Make sure you have the surprise advantage from a bush. This is what your combo should look like:
Event Horizon – Dark Matter – Deathfire Grasp – Primordial Burst – Baleful Strike
Ignite if they are not dead. Do not use this if you failed your combo and they are like half health though.
//In a team fight your job is to burst down their carry before he can do anything. This should be easy if you have been Baleful Strike last hitting properly. This is even easier if they are an AP Carry because of the 80% boost you get from them. Once you kill their carry, it should be easier. Continue to auto attack and Baleful Strike on cooldown, and Event Horizon. The team fight should be over.
Farming is what makes Veigar. If you can’t farm properly, go play some support class. You will fail with Veigar anyways. Always take top lane! Unlike some characters who just need to get fed, Veigar needs farm. He also needs to build up AP from Baleful Strike, because this will add up in the long run into a ton of AP.
//Because Veigar is pretty squishy, you want to be near your turret, not turret hugging, but relatively near it so that if your enemy Tryndamere makes a dash for you, you won’t die. Harassing is not as important as last hitting with your Baleful Strike.
//Another thing is that in twisted treeline, the farming phase is not as long. There is really no “solo top” anymore after everyone hits around level 10, and you basically just farm when you can, or when a lane is pushed to your turret. So this early game farm is really important as it is the leading phase to team fights and ganking.
//TIPS: Do not be afraid to call for a gank if you are getting out laned. This will not disrupt your team if their lane is pushed, because Twisted Treeline is so small. However, get ready for a counter gank.
Farm with Baleful Strikes and auto attacks, if the lane is pushed to your turret however, you are excused to use Dark Matter. JUST DON'T LOSE ANY FARM!
//What is the difference between Twisted Treeline and Summoner's Rift? The main difference in the way Veigar plays is;
1. You will not complete 6 full items in a normal game. What does this mean? it means Baleful Strike farming is a bit less important. Do not be afraid to Dark Matter a minion wave, as mid game, this will kill each one, giving you a handful of gold.
2. Mana can be spent more recklessly. This is because your base is so close to your lane, and if you recall a bit more often, it has little to no effect. The walk back from your base to your lane is a tiny distance
3. You have to be more aware about ganks, because they will occur much more easily. The distance between your bottom lane and your top lane is very small is comparison to summoner's rift, so enemy champions can switch lanes fast. Especially champions like Kassadin and Tryndamere, champions who can hop over the wall with a skill.DO NOT BE AFRAID TO USE Dark Matter to check bushes, because mana is not as big of a deal is 3vs3Be aware.
//The best team for veigar would be an AD Ranged and an AD melee. Why both AD? This is because you want your opponents to build things like Thornmail and Randuin's Omen. this will allow you to burst any of the enemy teams characters down. However, if they build magic resist, your team will be able to rip them apart. I believe you want to be selfish about not having to buy magic penetration and force your teammates to buy armor penetration because you are the team's carry. You also have the ability to almost 100% burst down someone, and you must take advantage of this.
//Thank you very much for actually reading that all if you did, and I hope you become a better Veigar Player in the Twisted treeline! If you want to ask questions, feel free to PM me on mobafire. If you want to send in some pictures of victories, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are having any problems, make sure to tell me. My ign is mikuroo, which I am using at lower ELO's to test builds.
//If you feel this guide was helpful, Please give it a good rating, and I will make more 3vs3 builds for people to test!
// I will be glad to explain anything in this guide if it helps. Please do not troll downvote this guide unless you have a legit reason that actually makes sense. It is in my best interest to make this guide better, so do not say LOLOL THIS GUIDE SUCKS. GIVE ME A REASON.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.