Karthus Build Guide by Gramps Tewks
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello and welcome to Freddy Mercury: Voodoo Shaman!; a Karthus build guide of a different color!
I'm Gramps Tewks, and I'll be your curator as we explore the possibilities of playing with the Undead King of the Swamps!
Here's jjgrover9's Fan-Made Champion Spotlight, in which he highlights Karthus's abilities, playstyle, and possible builds:
Please comment and rate in the comments section below; share your experiences playing with or against Karthus and/or put in your criticism about the guide itself.
As always, endless kudos upon kudos to the incomparable JhoiJhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros / Cons
+ Spammable harass ( Lay Waste)
+ Fantastic duelist!
+ Unreal farm.
+ THE Ultimate!!! Requiem
- Mana and Map-awareness are of the highest priority!
- Karthus is a slow Shaman indeed.
- If you Requiem, they will QQ :3
The Offensive Tree suits Karthus splendidly, while the Defensive Masteries negate his squishiness quite effectively!
Executioner deals extra damage to your Requiem targets :3
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: Magic Penetration is extraordinarily powerful in the early-game; even a slight advantage there can easily shape the entire match.
- Greater Seal of Armor: Synergy with
for 18.7 Armor base!
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: Synergy with
for 19.4 MR base!
- Greater Quintessence of Health: When you consistently survive ganks with under 100 Health left, you'll wonder what you did before these.
Flash: There's a really good reason that pro tournament matches always feature 10 Flash.
Try it, master it, love it.
It'll save your life.
Teleport: Excellent for mid-laning!
Karthus is also quite slow, so Teleport helps keep him in the action.
- Death Defied: Defy death and demoralize your opponents!
- Lay Waste (Q): This is the reason why you can farm like a demon.
This is the reason why you can control a lane.
This is the reason why you can fully charge a Tear of the Goddess!
- Wall of Pain (W): Great for trapping people in your Defile and Lay Waste barrage! Wall of Pain also serves as a great escape alternate to Flash.
- Defile (E): Mini- Crowstorm on a stick! Careful usage is required, due to the Mana-drain.
- Requiem (R): In discussion for Most-OP-Ultimate!
Always watch the map for kills and coordinate with your teammates!
: Karthus needs the ability to stay in lane to farm, and Regrowth Pendant absolutely delivers!
People often question your "tank" item, but their tune changes when they realize that you JUST DON'T DIE.
- philosopher's stone: Philosopher's Stone boosts the three resources with which you make in-game transactions!
You will have better items, lanestay, and experience than others, which WINS GAMES.
: An excellent buy with philosopher's stone on your first trip back!
: Oh-so-good! Spam Lay Waste CONSTANTLY.
You need this baby fully-charged for Archangel's Staff!
: An inexpensive AP boost.
: Standard caster fare that boosts your damage and synergizes with Greater Mark of Magic Penetration!
: Three sources of Mana Regen is where you want to be! CDR rocks with Requiem.
: An excellent Ability Power boost!
: You can't run from Wall of Pain, and you can't hide from Requiem!
: The perfect item for Karthus! We don't rush it only because Rabadon's Deathcap is of the highest priority.
With Karthus, Damage > Survival.
: Collect on your Tear of the Goddess investment and boost your damage through the roof!
With the Gold from philosopher's stone and good farm (with Karthus, always!), you'll get it. :3
: Excellent Fiendish Codex upgrade.
- : Finally, get Void Staff, sell Sorcerer's Shoes, and buy Boots of Mobility!
Karthus was pretty much custom-made for solo mid. He takes practice, but is fantastic when played well.
Your early goal is to FARM all day and night. Auto-attack and Lay Waste the **** outta minions for $$$!
You need Rabadon's Deathcap online as soon as humanly possible.
If you can, catch your opponent off-guard with a Wall of Pain-> Defile-> Lay Waste combo!
When executed correctly, this will do MASSIVE DAMAGE.
Karthus' Mid-Game begins when he's farmed out Rabadon's Deathcap!
If you K.O. your Caitlyn, Veigar, or whoever (and have over 1/2 health), go find a lane to gank and rack up some Shaman-induced kills!
Push your turret, farm, and help your teammates.
Push the the Nexus with your teammates!
Let the tougher ones initiate, then unleash unliving anguish upon the enemy!
Karthus is de bomb-diggity Diable Tonnere, with skills that can't be matched and Paket Kongo from a higher astral plane~
Just press R to get your kills!