Lulu Build Guide by DarkSplaze
Mastery Tree Is Outdated
WARNING: These masteries are still using the old tree and have not been updated to the new tree by the guide author. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Lulu - The Fae Sorceress [Last Updated: March 27,2012]
Look in the "Indepth Skill Analysis" Section for a video tutorial on her combo's!
...there isn't much else to say about this magnificent yordle.
Lulu can be played just about anywhere, but she was made to be a support and should be played as a support with a bit of ***** to her. Iv used this build ever since her PBE release and must say iv had great success with her.
She really shines if played properly and if you play support minded. Also, you must be able to grasp how to use her shield/damaging "Help, Pix!" along with her "Glitterlance" to succeed. With the use of cooldown/mana regen runes, you'll have the dominance in lane with your AD carry while turning your foes into pretty little squirrels. This guide will help you master the Sorceress from the Bandle City.
Good Luck, and please, help her find her squirrel that she thinks she remembers.
...Oh...and First Ever Guide :)
Notes Before Reading:
-Yes, she was released the day this guide was published, but I have been playing her on the PBE for 3 days prior to her release so I waited for her to come out live to make sure that there were no changes made to her there.
-This guide has been a work in progress since her PBE debut.
-The rune page is a little bit off for a support, but that's because if you play her sitting in the back and using Help, Pix! to poke in you do not need the MR/Armor.
-This guide is posted on a different site, I am the owner of both guides.
-if there's something you don't like about the guide, of course comment!
- Glitterlance's slow is great if chained with Help, Pix!
- Chaining Glitterlance and Help, Pix! can be very rewarding
- Wild Growth has a great slow attached to it with a knock up initially
- Whimsy can be a game changer if used during a ultimate like Crowstorm
- Her ability to make Help, Pix! and Whimsy both offensive and defensive moves makes for great variety during the laning phase.
- Suggested by Lumifly - Help, Pix! will help the shielded Ally attacked, so an ally with a fast attack speed can benefit greatly from this buff.
- If playing AD support, her Whimsy gives bonus AP which would not be as good as having a Janna support
- Chaining Glitterlance and Help, Pix! can take some time to fully accomplish
- Glitterlance is hard to master due to the ability to choose which directions both Lulu and Pix shoot
Greater Mark of Armor
Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction
Greater Quintessence of Cooldown Reduction
As suggested byMC Mag, replacing the original Magic Pen marks with armor has actually helped my guide! Credits to him for this suggestion as it has worked out very well! Posting new scores soon!
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction
Greater Quintessence of Cooldown Reduction
I personally believe that Lulu is incredible with cooldown runes, but she needs the mana to continue her support in lane.
Early game the cooldown may not make the largest difference, but late game the cooldowns will serve you well during team fights and chases as your Glitterlance will begin to be up every ~4 seconds as well as having Whimsy up every second Glitterlance. Your slows will surely be enough to bring down the enemy team, even one at a time if at worst case.
Again, just as the Runes, I focus a cooldown mastery with her to get to the 40% cooldown cap early, with her getting here early she is able to take the enemy by surprise and for enough early game so that the lane partner is powerful enough to dominate late game.
Flash is the main choice here, as it helps a lot with escaping or reaching for your Glitterlance.
Pick One (In Personal Preferred Order):
The main choice here would be heal. However, if your lane partner would rather have control of the heal, let them go right ahead as it's one less thing for you to worry about.
Exhaust will be useful for using your Glitterlance and is an easy pick if your partner wants control of the heal.
A decent choice if requested by the team, but you'll most likely have better luck with Heal or Ignite. Only use this at the request of the team as your warding should take care of clairvoyance.
Again, useful just like Flash in order to get in range for Glitterlance or escaping, but if you play smart you are better off with heal or exhaust. This is another option though if needed.
Not recommended. If your lane is a free for all and your carry does not mind, ignite could be a solution to getting through your build fast. If kills start coming your way too fast, you're going to have to start building AP. The problem with this is that Lulu may feel decently strong early game as an AP carry, but she falls very hard late game as her real damage output is contained to Glitterlance. For this reason, Ignite is highly frowned upon.
- Simply put, a faerie named Pix follows you around and auto attacks when you auto attack. However, if a minion is in the way Pix will hit the minion instead.
Pix and Lulu each fire a bolt of magical energy that heavily slows all enemies it hits. An enemy can only be damaged by one bolt.
- This is your true and most important skill. This can either make or break a kill as your slow will be relied on by your carry. It is fairly hard to control as the closer you move your mouse towards Lulu, the further apart the two bolts will be shot. Takes some mastery to be able to shoot two bolts at different directions quickly and efficiently.
If cast on an ally, grants them movement speed and ability power for a short time. If cast on an enemy, turns them into an adorable critter that can't attack or cast spells.
- Offensive - Turns the enemy into a cute squirrel which makes them unable to attack or use spells. Also has a small slow attached to it.
- Defensive - Grants the target an amazing movement speed buff as well as some extra AP, great for using it as an escape or to nab a low champion.
- Help, Pix!
If cast on an ally, commands Pix to jump to an ally and shield them. He then follows them and aids their attacks. If cast on an enemy, commands Pix to jump to an enemy and damage them. He then follows them and grants you vision of that enemy.
- Offensive - Pix jumps onto the enemy but instead of casting a shield he will damage them. You also gain vision from the enemy and makes it a sure shot for the use of Glitterlance. This is where Lulu's true skill can shine as you can use it on an enemy to Glitterlance a low enemy who is out of reach or running away.
- Defensive - Gives the ally a shield and Pix will follow the selected champion. Again good for the use of Glitterlance to reach a far target or to help slow an enemy who your lane partner is chasing.
- Wild Growth (Ultimate)
Lulu enlarges an ally, knocking enemies away from them and granting them a large amount of bonus health. For the next few seconds, that ally gains an aura that slows nearby enemies.
- Lulu selects a champion to give bonus health to and also applies an area around this ally that will slow enemy champions. Useful on tanks who have just initiated as it provides an area knock up on use.
Fairly basic here, grab Glitterlance first to help with your slow and max this first. However, take your Help, Pix! and Whimsy at level 2 and 3 respectively to have your skill sequence in ready order for multiple slows if needed. Max Glitterlance first, followed by Help, Pix! then Whimsy while grabbing Wild Growth where available.
The reason for maxing the shield last is the gain from the movement speed of Whimsy along with the AP buff can help in most teamfights. Also, your basic use for Help, Pix! will be to shield your ally while attempting to use them as a launching pad for Glitterlance.
--> --> -->
Indepth Skill Analysis
Pursuing An Enemy
Your main goal here is simple: Slow down the enemy enough for your AD Carry to finish them off easily.
In order to do this, your best bet is to do this depending on your situation...
Glitterlance--> Whimsy Ally--> Help, Pix! Ally-->Repeat
The reason here to Whimsy your ally and NOT the enemy is because the movement speed gained from Whimsy will do better use for your ally than the polymorph it would have on the enemy. The only exception to this is if the enemy i very weak and still has flash up, as the enemy wont be able to flash away while polymorphed as Whimsy in this situation is the way to go.
Also, the reason why you use Help, Pix! on your ally is because as he follows down the enemy, you can use your Glitterlance to shoot from your ally and hit the enemy he is following. This results in another slow and a better chance for your ally to get the kill.
Proper Way To Use Help, Pix! & Glitterlance
Glitterlance and Help, Pix! are two unique skills that can be used to pull off some crazy combo's. I suggest playing a few Co-op Vs. AI games to get used to these combos.
1. Learn how to rely off of Help, Pix! while using Glitterlance.
Are you chasing an enemy and can't seem to be in range as he is only one shot? Is his teammate running behind him trying to protect him? He may have just caused the death of his teammate.
Use Help, Pix! to damage the enemy running behind the one shot or even a minion who is close to the enemy and use Glitterlance to launch off of said enemy/minion to hit the one shot running in front of him! Easy kill!
2. This tactic can also be used to get multiple slows off easier than having a splitting Glitterlance shot from Pix. If you use Help, Pix! and shoot using Glitterlance, it usually slows the enemy that it shot from causing a double slow effect. Use this to your advantage!
3. Is your teammate chasing after an enemy who's fairly low but just out of reach? Shield your teammate with Help, Pix! and shoot a Glitterlance to slow down the enemy and earn yourself an assist!
When/How to use Whimsy
Whimsy is a very strong spell both offensively and defensibly. Make sure to save this spell during a team fight or buff your AP Carry with the bonus AP. In my opinion, it is more useful to save it in case you need to cancel an ultimate such as Crowstorm, or in case you need to chase down an enemy/escape the failed team fight with your life. During the lane phase you can have fun with it to annoy the enemies and use it to help your partner secure kills thanks to its speed boost. It is also very useful for escaping and helping your partner escape.
Wild Growth - Show Me That 6 Feast Cho'Gath
Wild Growth is a unique spell as it grows the size of the champion it's used on. This spell is extremely useful for all tanks as it gives bonus Health as well as an AOE Knock Up/Slow. Don't use this to quickly, however. Wait until your tank is properly in the middle/on most of the enemy team and pop this sucker on the tank. 6 Feast Gentleman Cho'Gath will love you forever and ever <3.
This item sequence is what gave me my first win with Lulu and many more to follow. We'll refer to this as "The Game" from now on as our Warwick never connected and we were left in a 4v5. Needless to say, we won as I went 8/0/25.
The importance of this item sequence is getting your cooldown to 40% ASAP. Once you get it there, your abilities begin to string together and it is almost impossible for your opponents to escape.
Your Heart of Gold will keep the cash flowing in and the inclusion of late game items such as Banshee's Veil, Locket of the Iron Solari, and Aegis of the Legion help out during team fights as you sit back and poke at them from afar. You will slowly begin to become a member of the team that can run in and save the carry if it comes to that as you will have the defense to do so.
Will of the Ancients and Shurelya's Reverie will become an asset to the team during escapes and chases and is essential for any support, and the inclusion of the CDR will help greatly early game as you pop your combo's for slows and polymorphs.
There is some room for play here, however...
+ + + +
Late Game Situational:
- Useful for the unique active shield buff as well as the health bonus. Plus, you already have the Heart of Gold so you may as well use it for this item.
- Magic Resist if you find yourself dying easily to the AP Carry
- Good buff for your AD Carry if he's fed, only use this item though if you find your CDR not capped.
- Overall a good choice if you're being wrecked by the AD Carry, not recommended due to its passive isn't useful since your focus is to be out of the fight, not in the middle of it.
- Croca Wrote: With Lulu the Rylai's Crystal Scepter is a must buy item. The way Whimsy and the slow from RCS makes it a vary valued part to your build.
During a teamfight your job is quite simple; support. I know right? Seems so odd to say. Simply sit back and shield your carries and wait for the moment to use Wild Growth on your tank. At this point it should be smooth sailing as you continually poke in with Glitterlance and use Whimsy where you feel is needed either defensively or offensively.
At this point if you've supported your carry well enough, you should be typing /L and conducting your evil laugh of victory, all while reminding yourself of that familiar squirrel of course.
First Game Played on Live Servers using this build:
First Ranked Game Played
Scores after 3 games on release day - loss is due to first time ashe :(
Posted by doraemoncool:
- Def a very good guide, I use pretty much the same build as you but using cd boots.
and the glitterlance + smart cast , once I master that is over haha.
NOTE: Custom Game is highlighted to avoid confusion.
Posted by ChloroformNapkin:
- Great build, I watched the pix video and first time maxing my Q first...
Completely carried the game in a full support build.
I'm unable to grab my score for the PBE because its down, but it was a 4v5 as our Warwick never connected. We still won as I went 8/0/25.
Thanks to jhoijhoi and her (Sorry! :D ) How To Make A Guide Guide since this is my first guide.
Thanks to Riot for making such an awesome game.
This guide was completely made by myself (DarkSplaze) and published on March 20, 2012. All images were formed used Photoshop and uploaded onto IMGUR.
Good Luck To All League of Legends Players, and see you on the Fields of Justice!
Lulu Solo-Top(AD-Carry)/Jungle (Updated To Season 3!!)
Lulu - Solo Top Reference UPDATED PATCH 3.8!
Lulu, Queen of the League
By The Existance
Squirrel Girl (3 builds: Support, On-Hit Jungle, AP) S3