Malzahar Build Guide by Bshats
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Pros / Cons
High AP ratio damaging spells
Possible Multi-target Silence
Abilities have good range
Ultimate + combo is almost a guarenteed kill everytime its up
Easy to Gank
Summon Voidling are passivly controlled
Hard to hit with some of his abilities
No escape mechanism
His ultimate can be interupted
||The voidlings have hidden bonus attack damage equal to Malzahar's bonus attack damage
They also benefit from Malzahar's armor penetration.
Then when I get to my lane, I last hit a minion with Call of the Void and use my Summon Voidling to help me push the creep waves and get last hits all the way to the oppenents tower
This accomplishes 2 things.
- First by having the enemy tower kill your minions instead of the enemy champion you are messing with your opponents Creep farm.
- Second, Malzahar has quite the distance on his spells, when your oppenent is under his tower they fall into a false sense of security, feel free to harrass your opponent, if they go back to base your now free to help another lane by setting up a gank, this means that you need to let the lane know that your coming hopefully they let you know of any possible wards or hidden Champions.
- Use Call of the Void to start, making sure to hit all 3 of them, and yes you can.
- As soon as your Call of the Void hits, cast a Malefic Visions on one of the little guys. reason being, more damage is done this way plus some mana regen is given.
- Next, drop a Null Zone below the big Blue, by now you should have Summon Voidling
- Keep taking steps away from blue until he starts to walk back to his starting position (picture coming!)
- If your Summon Voidling hits him before this, then he will start to attack your Summon Voidling instead of you, and there you have it, you can kill Blue without taking any damage and have your Summon Voidling help you Damage!
Call of the Void
||Range to center of wall: 900
Wall width: 400 (estimate)
|I am going to admit that Malzahar is not that hard to play, but...
The better you become with this skill the better you will be at playing
- This skill hits HARD!
- This spell can also potentially silence multiple enemies
- This spell also provides Vision! Use it to check bushes instead of using your Face!
- In order for this to work, Call of the Void must be lined up with the bushes, because the belly of the spell does not provide vision. (Picture Coming!)
- Therefore, Spell shields like Nocturne's Shroud of Darkness, Sivir's Spell Shield, or a Banshee's Veil will only block the first portion of the damage and silence.
Range to center of AoE: 800
Radius of AoE: 250 (estimate)
- To Scare an enemy, this can be done by placing this spell in front of a champion chassing you or an ally, the spell itself will not do much damage but I find people give the Null Zone alot of respect. And this could slow their chase down.
- This spell can also be used at an enemy tower to prevent them from killing your creeps attacking their tower. This will get more damage done to the enemy tower.
- The best way to use this spell is to have an enemy, or a team full of enemies stuck on it! You Utli combo will have at least one enemy stuck for the duration of Nether Grasp on it(explained later).
||I like to use this spell in multiple situations, they are explained below:|
- I recommend using this skill at the start of a creep wave, when the first creep is low health cast Malefic Visions, yhen auto attack the afflicted minion so that the spell will bounce through the wave, in doing so will restore your mana and get you last hits on creeps.
- If Malefic Visions is on a minion and that minion dies(or Champion) Malzahar gets both gold and experience for the kill.
- READ: you can get experience and gold even if your not in range of the creep or champion. This really helps your laneing.
- This means you only need to be in range of the creep you cast Malefic Visions on.
- If you have a Summon Voidling up, cast Malefic Visions on the enemy in your lane, this is maybe one of the best ways to easily harass your opponent, Your Malefic Visions will do damage to your opponent and your Voidling will also be attacking your opponent.
||Magic Damage Per Half Second: 50 / 80 / 110 (+0.26 per ability power)|
This is your ult, the downfall to Nether Grasp is that you are stuck standing still for the duration of the spell.
The great news is that this spell; used in your combo will deal a huge amount of damage to your opponent, usually killing them, or helping your team get a kill.
Things you should know about Nether Grasp:
- You can use the summoner spell Ignite] during it.
- If you are stunned or the enemy has a Quicksilver Sash or a Banshee's Veil Your ult will either stop or not do anything at all
- To prevents this hit them with another spell first.
- If you use Nether Grasp on someone and they happen to Flash at the same time or use a skill with a similar effect, your ult will still keep them stunned and continue to do damage unless Nether Grasp is interupted, so you can have your Nether Grasp on someone who is well passed the max distance for the spell.
This is the combo you want to use to ideally inflict as much damage as possible, and will usually result in someone dying haha
First you need to hit your Q Call of the Void
This will hopefully silence them and make it so that they cannot use any skills to escape or to do damage to you, in addition if you hit with Call of the Void you will have just inflicted a decent amount of damage, Do not use Call of the Void first if the opponent has a Banshee's Veil. You want to start your combo out with Malefic Visions First to get rid of the shield, Then start your Ulti Combo
Next hit your E Malefic Visions this is used just for extra damage but if your opponent dies, then Malefic Visions will jump to another close by enemy
Next you drop a W Null Zone below them, This spell does a % based amount of damage so if your opponent is stuck on a Null Zone reguardless of HP they will be hurting afterwards
Hit them with your R to finish off your combo, your opponent has just been silenced, and has taken a significant amount of damage, now with your CoolDown Reduction runes and items, when this combo is over you should be able to use you E Malefic Visions a second time if your enemy did no die.
-> -> -> -> DEAD
If needed you can add in Ignite] to the combo after casting your Nether Grasp
There are conditions to using Ignite
The spell itself will not break your Nether Grasp Unless you are out of range for Ignite, If you do this, you will stop casting your Nether Grasp and move forward to try and cast Ignite
So keep this in mind when performing your Ulti Combo, Sometimes it is best to wait for Nether Grasp to finish and then hit Ignite and a possible Malefic Visions
My theory with Malzahar is this
The more often that your Ulti is up, and used, The more kills you get (or get KSed from you)
So lets look at his glyphs
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration
Greater Glyph of Scaling Cooldown Reduction
Greater Quintessence of Scaling Cooldown Reduction
|Magic Penetration is very good on just about any Caster
these runes in combination with your Sorcerer's Shoes] and your Mpen from Archaic Knowledge will really help Malzahar There is no other mark that will help as much as these.
|Mana per 5 helps with mana regen, these Seals are fine on Malzahar, getting the seals for AP is fine as well but they only add up to 9 AP... Its really not a huge difference.|
|Here is what you want on an AP caster, Cooldown Reduction! This lets you cast your spells more often and as mentioned before, the more times you use your Ulti Combo on Malzahar the better.|
|Again more CDR!|
Summary: At level 18
- Cooldown Reduction +- 15.80%
- Magic Penetration + 8.5
- Mana Regen per 5 +11
This is a standard AP build
- Get enough points in the offence tree to get Archaic Knowledge for that sexy Magic Pen
- Get 21 Points into Utility
- Forget Perseverence the bonus is almost negligible
- The gold gained from Greed is also negligible
- Getting both Presence of the Master and Blink of an Eye Reduce the Cooldown on your Blink, which can be used both offensively and defensively
In order to maximize your Malzahar game play you need to:
- Start with Call of the Void as stated earlier this gets you a 3 stack on your passive and then you can Summon Voidling when you get to the lane with your first spell cast
- After a level of Call of the Void you need to max Malefic Visions; This spell is your creep wave pusher, this spell is your farming spell this spell is your mana regen! This spell also has a low cool down and can be used to harass
- At level 6 you want to have all of your skills for your Utli Combo, which is why you get a single level of Null Zone at level 4
More to come!
This guide is still a work in progress!
-A Guide to Early, Mid and Late game play (with items)
-Alternate Item Guide
-And Pictures and Vids!