Talon Build Guide by Asphar
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Welcome to my comprehensive, in depth guide to the newest edition to the league Talon, the Blade's Shadow
Throughout this guide you will become aware of many things:
- The break down of team compositions, as well as the lane choices in Ranked and Normal gameplay
- The Purpose of each lane and what it does to the champions placed in each lane
- The individual goals of each champion in their specific lanes
- What "Class or Role" Talon plays on a team
- Talon's various strengths and weaknesses
- How to build him before even entering a game, such as Runes and Masteries
- What all of Talon's skills do and can be used for
- The proper way to play and build him in game with your core items
- Talon's early/mid/ and late game differences
- Tips and tricks for assisting your jungler and keeping your team alive/safe from ganks
- Being aware of where your jungler is and what he is doing as often as possible
- Where the proper ward locations are on your map
- And how to work with your team to achieve your overall goal of "Victory"
The Break down of Ranked, and Normal Gameplay
This is hands down the most important thing to know in this game, even more than your skill with a champion. Basically a well balanced team is broken down to this.
It is crucial that you and your team understand what lane each of their individual champions belongs in, along with why. Certain champions or the classes they fit under belong in certain lanes.
- The top section of the map
- A lane meant to be Solo'd
- The home of your Off tank / Assassin
- Is a great lane for an AD carry
- AP carries, can have issues in a solo top lane
- The middle lane of the map
- Always a solo lane
- Home to the AP or AD carry
- Can be an excellent lane for an Anti Carry
- Extremely difficult for most tanks
- The bottom section of the map
- Generally always a dual lane
- Home to the tank and the AD carry/Support
- Great lane to get the carry or tank farmed in
- Any champion type can lane here
The Goals of Each Lane
To put it simply, each of the three lanes has an over all goal that isn't just push push push push push push... It's much more than that. There are some goals that all the lanes share, and some goals that are unique to each lane.
Common Goals Among the Lanes
- To accumulate minion kills, or CS
- To Protect your tower, as well as destroying theirs
- To kill the enemy champions in the lane
- To Properly ward the brush and other areas to protect your lane
- To ALWAYS be aware of your teams jungler and help set up kills
- To always be ready to assist other lanes when you have the chance
- To be prepared to jump into a team fight whenever needed
The Goals of Top Lane
- To "last hit" every minion possible
- To maintain control of your lane by not over extending
- To keep the minion waves close to the middle of the lane to ensure you cannot be ganked, as well as set up perfect ganks for your jungler
- To Ward.Ward.Ward.Ward.Ward.Ward.
- To always be aware of your middle lane as you are able to gank easily
- To assist your jungler when ever needed!
Goals of Mid Lane
- To last hit every single chance you get
- To harass the enemy in your lane to keep them low
- To have dominance over your enemy
- To push through their tower every possible chance
- To watch for you jungler's ganks, using your CC to accomplish this
Goals of Bot Lane
- To pressure your enemies
- To farm minion waves as well as the enemies
- This is the lane that should be the last to loss its tower
- To buy enough time for the tank to get gold for the items required to begin initiating team fights
For Talon, start with a Regrowth Pendant and 1x Health Potion and begin to farm and farm and farm. Another important aspect of being solo top lane is to be dominant in lane. Using Rake to harass them often will keep them low, more often then not forcing them to go back allowing you to out farm them or take their tower. Another important thing to do as Talon is to Invade. Talon is an amazing duelist, he can shred through an enemy very quickly, and whats better then finding a Warwick with half health that you just destroy, and then get his buffs.
Ganking is another important role for Talon, getting Talon kills is high priority, he becomes as burst like as someone like LeBlanc or Poppy when fed. He has such amazing CC that his ganks are almost unmatched due to his massive damage out put.
Talon's Strengths, and Weaknesses
Strengths / Weaknesses
+ Very strong lane presence
+ Excellent skill kit
+ Enormous amount of CC
+ Amazing duelist
+ Does insane burst damage
+ Able to put out massive damage in a team fight
- Squishy at all stages of the game
- Tends to get focused very often
- Has an escape mechanism that can be easily predicted by a skilled player
- Relies on cool downs
- His base AD is low, so last hitting is difficult at first
- Can't jungle
Pre game Preparation
For Talon's Masteries i focus more on the offensive aspect then anything else. then branch into Utility for the extra gold and exp gain.
I made sure to get all four points into Sorcery for the CDR because Talon is so reliant on his cool downs. As well as being sure to get all the way down to get my hands on the Havoc mastery for its extra damage. As for the Utility tree, I focused on Awareness and Greed to make Solo laning top even more successful.
When it comes to runes I'm having issues deciding on certain runes combinations, where others I refuse to change on him. The rune build this guide is focusing on is this:
For Talon I chose to go with ArP runes due to the fact that every move he has is AD, so it just helps you deal more damage. Plus the three points in Sunder make his damage out put go even higher.
Talon tends to be hard on mana both late game, and early game. Do to the fact that you don't really rely on auto attacks, you need to focus on your mana issues. So I get Mana regen per level seals to help with this issue. By late game you will be able to stick in the team fight rather than have to run away for mana.
These are ALWAYS to be used on Talon, anyone that says other wise is crazy. Talon is reliant on skills correct? His massive damage out put from rake is amazing right? How about being able to use it more often?! Derp who wouldn't want to do that.. plus with these runes if you get blue buff, you go to 40% CDR which leaves your ult Shadow Assault on a 24 second cool down, which is the same as Lux's mega death lazor.
Greater Quintessence of Desolation
These are also an amazing damage amplifier for Talon's burst out put. There are a few runes that could replace these and he would still do fine, but for now I think these are my favorite for him.
Other Possible Rune Builds
Talon's Skill Kit
Mercy Talon's auto attacks deal more damage if his target is affected by some kind of Crowd Control.
Mercy is part of Talon's greatest damage output due to the fact that each of his moves will inflict his target with some kind of CC. When Talon attacks a target that has been affected by any kind of CC, his damage is increased.
Noxian Diplomacy Talon's next auto attack will deal additional damage and makes his target bleed.
There are some very interesting tricks to this move, the first thing to know is that this move will empower your next auto attack to deal increased damage, and make the target bleed for a seconds (DoT). Also while the target is bleeding, you gain vision of that target for a few seconds. It is just a fantastic skill/finisher.
Rake Sends out a boomerang like cone in front of Talon slowing all enemies hit.
Welcome to Talon's greatest move, Rake. Rake is a skill cast in a cone near Talon, he sends out three boomerang like blades in the direction of his choice. These blades will strike all targets in the area when they are sent out, as well as when they return. In addition, all targets hit by Rake are slowed for a few seconds. This move brings HUGE burst to a team fight, if positioned correctly in a team fight you can hit their entire team.
Cutthroat Talon blinks to target enemy, silencing them when he arrives.
Now we come to Talon's blink. Talon instantly blinks behind his target silencing them, if used correctly you can smash a single target very hard, by activating Noxian Diplomacy then blinking, you will instantly attack when you arrive activating your Q's damage.
Shadow Assault Talon sends out blades in all directions and enters an invisible state for a few seconds.
This is probably one of the coolest moves Riot has ever come up with. When cast Talon sends out a ring of blades from his location damaging all enemies hit, then becomes invisible for a few seconds. His movement speed is increased by 40% at it's highest level. After the duration of your invisibility, the blades pull back to Talon causing damage to who ever they fly threw. You can also reactivate your ult by auto attacking or pressing R.
How to build Talon
Talon's Core Items
Stats: 80 Attack Damage,25% Critical Strike Chance.
Basically with Talon, your goal is to dish out as much burst damage, as fast possible. The Infinity Edge adds the third highest AD out of all items in game at this present moment. Another interesting feature about the Infinity Edge is it's passive. UNIQUE PASSIVE: Critical hits now deal 250% damage instead of 200%. This will add huge damage considering your AD is so high you will probably already hit crits of close to 600 before this, and now you will hit for close to 900-1000. Another interesting thing about Talon and critical hits, you do more damage if the target if affected by CC, and that includes critical hits.
Boots of Swiftness
Stats: Enhanced Movement 3.
Alright so whats an assassins goal? To kill people. In order to kill people you need to be able to catch them, and with these your movement speed will be around 435 I believe. Plus with this specific pair of boots you can be in combat and still move the same speed rather than if you used Boots of Mobility which if you get into combat your slowed, which can be rather annoying...
Stats: 20 Attack Damage, 700 Health.
Okay okay, now we make our way to one of the most important items on this CC prince. The Frozen Mallet is the perfect item for a dps assassin especially Talon. First it gives you AD, which is nice. Then it gives you 700 hp which is amazing, plus you get an Atma's Impaler later on. The next interesting thing would be that every single auto attack now slows, guess what. That is a form of crowd control... DING DING DING!!!! Talon does more damage if they are CC'd and now EVERY hit slows... this will increase his damage output by a lot.
Stats: 60 attack Damage, 15% Lifesteal.
As I said before you want to put out a huge amount of damage really fast. The Bloodthirster is not lacking on damage by any means, it is the second highest amount of AD added by any AD item. But there's one flaw, it's a double edged sword. When you first get this item, it only adds 60 AD and 15% life steal. Now if you kill champions or minions it gets a stack, it is filled after 40 stacks and it's stats change to 100AD and 25% life steal!
Stats: 375 Health, 375 mana, 50 Magic Resist.
Since your a champion that does a ******ed amount of damage, you WILL be focused.. I promise you. So in order to stop from being killed instantly we need to find a way to stop you from getting held in place. UNIQUE PASSIVE: Cancels the effect of the next incoming unfriendly ability. Meaning you can get your *** out of there, or turn around and kill them all. Plus it adds almost 400 health, which again helps you get more AD from your Atma's Impaler.
Stats: 45 Armor, 18% Critical Strike Chance.
Here is your last item, and one of the most important ones. First it adds 45 armor, which is good because your really squishy, next it adds critical chance, which again is nice because of your Infinity Edge. But the real power behind this item is it's passive. UNIQUE PASSIVE: 2% of your maximum health is turned into AD. You have a Frozen Mallet and your Banshee's Veil which when added together will add a pretty decent amount of AD.
Early/ Mid and Late Gameplay
Your goal during this section of the game is to last hit minions, and try to kill your opponent as often as possible, pretty basic right? It's very complex but it does take a lot of skill. Not many champions in this game have a great early game, Talon's is eh.. He just does no damage.
This section will explain what warding is, where to ward, and why it is so important.
Order of priority:
- The section above including the picture and the explanations below are borrowed from Apotheosis' Tryndamere Guide