Varus Build Guide by masterassassin
Mastery Tree Is Outdated
WARNING: These masteries are still using the old tree and have not been updated to the new tree by the guide author. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
This is my first guide ever so please try to leave constructive criticism there will be mistakes I am sure so please point them out and i will try to fix them as soon as i can
// For his incomparable skill with the bow and his unquestioned sense of honor, Varus was chosen to be the warden of a sacred Ionian temple. The temple was built to contain an ancient pit of corruption so vile that Ionian Elders feared it could envelop the island in darkness. Varus prided himself on his position, as only the most exceptional Ionian warriors were selected for the role. He lived with his family in a nearby village and led a quiet life of disciplined routine until the day the forces of Noxus invaded Ionia. Their shock troops left nothing but death and desolation in their wake, and the temple lay in their path. Varus was forced to make a decision. He was bound by honor to stay and defend the temple, but without him the village's few inhabitants could offer little resistance against the oncoming war machine. Gravely, he chose to fulfill his duty as a warden. The corruption could not be allowed to escape.
His arrows sundered the troops who tried to wrest the temple from him that day. However, when he returned to the village, he found that it had been reduced to a smoldering graveyard. Remorse at the sight of his slain family gave way to overwhelming regret and then to seething hatred. He swore to slaughter every Noxian invader, but first he needed to become stronger. He turned to that which he had sacrificed everything to protect. The pit of corruption would consume him wholly, as a flame devours a wick, but its abominable power would burn within him until he was lost. This was a path from which there could be no return. With grim resolve, he condemned himself to the black flames, feeling malevolent energy bond to his skin...and with it, the promise of ruin. He left, seeking the blood of all Noxians involved with the invasion, a grisly task that eventually led him to the invasion's most infamous perpetrators in the League of Legends.
''The life of an arrow is fleeting, built of nothing but direction and intent.''
// varus is a ranged carry who uses a bow he has 2 skill shots (one being his ultimate) 1 area of effect and 2 passives he is a great farmer and fun to play.
// massive thanks to JhoiJhoi. and thanks to Mizu Ichigatsu for helping me make this guide.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
- Living Vengeance: // this is his passive it is very valuable in farming because it allows you to last hit more minions and in team fights it is invaluable because after that first kill you more then double your attack speed and stack blight very fast and hit them for massive damage
- Piercing Arrow (Q): // this is your main ability it has ridiculous range and great damage you can use this to kill fleeing champions or detonate blight on them i max this first immediately followed by blight
- Blighted Quiver (W): // this is varuses 2nd passive it has two parts the first is a VERY slight damage increase on every basic attack the 2nd part is what you want it is that everytime your basic attacks hit it gives them a debuff of blight each debuff detonates when hit by 1 of his other abilities causing from 1% per stack at level 1 to 5% at level 5 you want to stack 3 stacks then hit them with Piercing Arrow or Hail of Arrows that will deal a great amount of damage
- Hail of Arrows (E): // this is what i consider to be varuses most useless ability i mainly use it to detonate blight or for the slow you can use it for escape by shooting it in front of you and run through it.
- Chain of Corruption (R): // this is varuses ultimate it shoots out a tendril in a straight line at a decent range when/if it reaches an enemy champion it snares them and stuns them fr 2 seconds then it will try to spread to other champions where it gives the snare it will keep going until their are no uninfected champions near it. I use it to hold fleeing champions mostly but you use it in team fights to stun and run away or to snare the enemy team to deal some damage.
Pros / Cons
+ // lots of late game damage
+ // great range
+ // great farmer
+ // cool skin
+ // fun to play
+ // has a great team fight stun in his ultimate
- // kind of slow
- // gets focused down
- // squishy
- // low early game damage
- // hard to master
- // has no escape buttons other then his flash and his ultimate
Greater Mark of Armor Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed: // because of his low attack spped he needs this for early game and it helps late game
- greater mark of desolation: // this is to help counter armor from the opponent to help you get your damage up .
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: // this is to counter the increasing AP damage you will take from early to late game.
- Greater Seal of Armor: // these are to help you survive the constant damage you will be taking in team fights.
Flash: // this is the best spell in the game hands down you can use it for so many things. need to escape? flash over a wall. need to chase a dieing champion? flash after him.
Heal: // this is a great spell on all carries because you will be focused and this will give you a little more survivability with allows you to do more damage
Ghost: // i use this as a substitute for flash or for chasing
// the offence masteries are to help deal more damage through cooldown reduction and attack speed/power and to help penetration.
// the support masteries are to help smooth over varuses mana issues
// the defense is to give him a little more MR
- Berserker's Greaves: // get these first thing to help ease varuses slow move speed and help his attack speed
- [[phantom dancer]: // this is to help his attack speed because attack spped=more damage/blight stacks=more kills
- Infinity Edge: // this is your first major damage item i get it because of the crit damage/chance and the attack damage is great
- The Bloodthirster: // this is for the life steal because it gives varus a lot more survivability and more attack damage
- Guinsoo's Rageblade: // this is to help get more attack speed in team fights so you can finish the enemy team faster and again more damage
- Guardian Angel: // this is my fallback because it give armor so it helps you survive but if you do die it gives you a chance to escape before you die this is great because YOU WILL BE FOCUSED.
Skill SequenceBlighted Quiver and Piercing Arrow up as fast as possible because they will be your two main skills because if you stack blight then detonate it with the arrow it will deal 15% of their health + whatever the arrow hits for then stack them with blight and hit with Hail of Arrows for another 15% by this time the arrow will be off cool down and you can do it again
// last hit. last hit. last hit. always try to wait until you can 1 shot a minion this freezes
your lane and allows you more farm thereby more gold and more items don't push the lane unless your getting pushed.
// your job in team fights is 1.dont die 2.deal as much damage as possible. you should always be behind your team and just take shots at the lowest champion so you get Living Vengeance and then go for the squishiest target and then go down the line from squishy to tanky just taking them out use your ultimate when they are bunched together so it can spread as much as possible
// varus is a fun ranged carry with lots of damage and a fun play style he is hard to master but is a great AD carry i love playing him and i hope this guide has helped you understand him a little better. please experiment with him! my guide is by no means the final word on varus there will be others (i think there was like 3 when i started this and now there's like 20) so pleas experiment and make your own guide you help yourself and others!
// MASSIVE THANKS TO jhoijhoi with out his guide my guide would be SO much worse or not done at all and huge thank to MIZU ICHIGATSU for helping me make this guide.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Varus, The Sneaky Bandit ADC! (S3)
Varus - Sorry For Party Rocking! (AD Carry)
AP-AS Varus - We All Fall Down (S3)
Varus - Purple is a manly color! (S3 update)