Amumu Build Guide by RedPandaBear
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
A piece of introduction
Hey guys, time to explain tricks about that little thing surrounded by toilet paper, that we either love or hate; the one and only, Amumu !!
I'll try to make this guide as full as possible, thus you can learn well enough to play him correctly. However, it's my own way of playing him : feel free to tell me if you agree or not, and why : best way to both improve is an argument.
I'd like to thanks Jhoijhoi too, since her guide helped me a lot to create this one! You can find it there : Jhoijhoi's guide.
Anyway, stop about non sense talking, let's start it !
Pros / Cons
I use those :
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration : Magic pen in offensive runes, what else ? Scales really well with your passive too.
- Greater Seal of Armor : Usual jungler runes, you need them, unless you want to recall after each camp.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist + Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist : You need this magic resist when you gank. Early game, most damages are magical, and that Karthus midlane kinda hurt ! You really don't want to die and leave him double buff while ganking, so you need those. I mixed flat and per level runes, because per level worth it at lvl 9, so that's kinda late. But you also want to be tougher late game.
- Greater Quintessence of Health : I took 2 of these to be safer in the jungle (as I said, he's pretty easily counterjungled), and once again for being tougher while ganking.
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed : I feel like I need to be faster, because you need to be close to your opponent to be sure you'll aim that Bandage Toss. Dodging it is pretty easy, so the closer you are, the harder it is to either miss it, or avoid it. You also need to be right in the middle of the fight, so run little yordle, run !
I use tanky jungler masteries, with a 0/21/9 :
- Enlightenment because Amumu has pretty long cooldowns on Curse of the Sad Mummy and Bandage Toss, and without those in teamfights... You're as useful as a keyboard without any key, as a motor without any oil.
- Indomitable scales well with Tantrum's passive.
- Swiftness over Meditation , because I feel taht I rather need to run faster than an ostrich, than having 15 more mana points available.
Other points don't need any comment in my opinion, tell me if you want me to explain one point or the other :)
Skill explanation, and order
That passive nullify opponent magic resist. That scales pretty well with Abyssal Scepter, and with Greater Mark of Magic Penetration. You and your midlane will deal almost true damages on your target : pretty awesome.
That's why you'll be pretty good at ganking midlane, and why you need that magic resist.
Don't forget to autoattack your target to apply that debuff; better would be to auto attack before casting any spell (That's almost impossible though), but do your best to maximize its utility.
This spell pretty puch defines Amumu : You're throwing some sticky paper to an ennemy, and that makes you fly toward him and give him a one second hug (1s stun).
It's one of the slowest skillshot, with a huge casting time : you'll need some practice to land every of them, especially if you're used to champions like Ezreal and his Mystic Shot.
Remember the Cooldown is pretty huge, especially at level one : don't waste hit by trying to land it to far away : your opponent will avoid it easily, or you will miss it completely. Try to keep it for when you're sure that will reach him.
This is also an AWESOME juke : that scary Shyvana tries to burn all that paper surrounding you ? Just escape them by landing Bandage Toss on the wraiths, Drake, or any neutral mosnter, and pass through the wall ! I escaped death many times using that, pretty funny seeing them trying to catch you, and the whole ennemy team being juked like that.
This skill allows you to jungle pretty easily. It deals damages based on percentages of max health. Pretty scary for that Dr. Mundo, Cho'Gath, or even Sion since every second they loose 4.5% of their life (because you have a lot of magic pen, remember?). You tears are made of acid... use it !
That skill is your bread and butter, the meat in your plate. You need to spam it whenever it's possible. That's why Amumu sometimes lack some mana : coupled with Despair, your mana bar will melt.
Anyway, that deals some pretty decent AoE magic damages, with a 0.5 AP ratio. But its real strength is that, each time you receive a hit, the CD is reduced by half a second. So the more the ennemy team is focusing you, the more damages you deal. Just imagine 300 + 0.5 per AP damages every 2 seconds, that's scary for a tank, especially coupled with Despair, and your magic pen.
It's passive is also really awesome : it reduces all incoming physical damages from 2 to 10.
That's means you really want to gank when ennemy minions are there : each time you'll receive a hit by those, Tantrum's cooldown will be reduced. And you'll feel almost nothing thanks to your passive.
Your ultimate. This skill and only is the reason why you're banned and terrifying. You don't even need to Flash + ulti like Galio's idole of durand, since you have Bandage Toss.
That'll snare all ennemies in the area for 2.5s. Be careful, snare doesn't mean stun : ennemies will still be able to cast, but not auto attacking, neither escapinng. That means you WON'T interrupt channeled spells, such as Nunu's Absolute Zero, Katarina's Death Lotus, or Karthus's Requiem. Your only way to interrupt those is Bandage Toss.
Sometimes, you'll want to Flash + Curse of the Sad Mummy, and THEN use Bandage Toss, since it's really easier to hit a guy who can't move, right ? ;-) That's pretty useful when you're too far away, and the ennemy will be easily able to avoid it. Just wait until the snare is almost finished, thus you'll maximize your crowd controls.
So here's the skill order :
I max Tantrum first because this deals a LOT of damages. Then 2 or 3 points in Despair, since it allways help in fights, and against drake or Nashor. But I rather maw Bandage Toss because of the cooldown reduction. By maxing it, you'll be able to cast it multiple times a fight, and you NEED that. Remember you better kill carries first, so you don't need to deal that much damages to tanks. Better stun again and again.
You are a jungler. You need it. End of discussion. You can secure the buffs, drakes, baron, steal them, and you jungle way faster, so you can gank a lot more. A jungler without it is NOT a jungler.
If your target jumps away, you can allways jumps back on it. I rather use it as an escape tool, since all the ganks won't be that successful. Flash behind that wall, and flee as fast as you can.
Pretty awesome to engage too : Flash right in the middle of them, and use Curse of the Sad Mummy, blocking them all.
And other summoner spells aren't really viable with Amumu :
- You rather want to surprise them by flashing in the middle of them, rather than letting them seeing you trying to run faster with your little papermade legs : don't use Ghost
- Everybody has already Ignite (and only the healing debuff is usefull lategame), and you should let kills to your carries.
- Heal is only if you towerdive too much, and need that extra health to go away safely. Not that useful in my opinion.
- Exhaust is nice while ganking, but you already have many stuns. Would anyway be the best choice if you dislike Flash
Let's start with the item build. That's what most of you just want to read, but, like always, this is really game dependant. Don't stick on a build, sometimes you NEED to make slight changes to it.
Anyway I'll explain my usual build, and right after add some situational items.
I build him tanky with a decent amount of Ability Power, since Amumu has such good ratios ! 1 for Curse of the Sad Mummy and Bandage Toss, o.5 for Tantrum, and 1% health every 100 Ablity power for Despair. Pretty huge !
But you need to be tanky, since your dps scales also on hits you are taking, since you need to be targeted in order to spam Tantrum. And a dead mummy isn't that scary.
Start with that + Health Potion. You won't use that Cloth Armor, and you don't need to waste that much money in Health Potion.
+ philosopher's stone : At your first back by those if you can. If not, just buy Boots of Speed, you need to move faster, or you'll be useless.
+ : buy those too right after. Just see if you need to move faster, or have just more Gold per 5 items.
Mercury's Treads are aimed to maximize that magic resistance early game, and also that lovely crowd control reduction. Because you won't be unkillable, and you might be focused since you do deal damages !
: This item is really great early game, and scales well with Despair : you'll deal a lot of damages all around you. just be careful not to push a tower while an opponent is around: you'll deal damages, and get tower's aggro.
Also a nice amount of life and armor, which you both lack.
: scales really well with your passive, since you'll nullify completely their magic resistance. Also, gives some decent AP and magic resist.
: time to convert that Heart of Gold ! By the way, Randuin's active is awesome, and you can use it 2s after your Curse of the Sad Mummy, to have an area crowd control lasting for ever !
It also provides armor, regeneration, and a little amount of cooldown reduction : what else ?
: Once again some HP, and AP : we continue on our optical of tanky dps. The passive is also awesome, since your tears will now also ... Slow them ! So mean !
: you're already tanky enough... time to be holy scary ! With that item, your ultimate will deal an enormous amount of damages, that's just insane ! When I got this, I almost kill carries all alone. Just sell your philosopher's stone to afford it (usually you would have already sell it, to buy some wards).
So here is my usual build, which works pretty well. But there are other items really interesting for Amumu (actually, plenty of them):
- shurelya's reverie : nice way to upgrade your philosopher's stone, and the active is great, to either escape, initiate, flee, or chase. But it lacks some damages, and tankyness. I used to get it, but I replaced it. Up to you.
- : Everything is awesome with that item. And by awesome I mean ... AWESOME ! So why isn't it in my core build ? Because I already have Randuin's Omen, because I need that Heart of Gold, so why not upgrade it ? I would purchase it against a heavy AD team : with Randuin's Omen, you'll cripple them A LOT !
- : Yes, this one. Sounds like a troll ? Well, I never thought about buying this. But look at this : health, mana regeneration, and Ability Power. This is all I'm focusing on in this build ! So, that can be rather situational, but it's really efficient to buff your kinda hard early game (by the way, top players are now purchasing it too, so...). I tried it, and yeah, it helps.
- : you don't need that Magic Resist, and they haven't got a single crowd control ? Better take these then, obviously. But that happened twice for me, so... ^^
- : Want to maximize that magic penetration ? With these and Abyssal Scepter, runes, and Cursed Touch, you reach ... 85 flat magic penetration. That's a REAl pain. Means that anyone without a strong Magic resistance item will just ... melt. Faster than a slice of butter in a frypan.
- : That item should be in my core build, since it's awesome, and every tanky jungler should buy it. But I just don't know what to replace. So I usually don't buy it, unless someone in my team already bought Abyssal Scepter. If you think your team will need it, just buy it; it's not expensive, and can save a teamfight.
Creeping / Jungling
Try to start with the wolves, with Despair. You need your teamates to hit them aswell, but also no to be too close of those for not leaching any experience, neither killing them.
Then rush straight to the Blue Golem, and ask for a pull. You need that pull, unless your health will be pretty low.
Be careful, ennemy team KNOW youll start there : ask your team to cover it, and be careful of that Blitzcrank !
If the ennemy team is invading, then maybe you can kill their own blue. Remember you're useless in a lvl 1 fight, so don't try it !
By the way you can start with Tantrum, it also works, and allows you to be a little scarier at lvl 1. Your choice.
Then just keep on jungling, killing monsters, and trying to gank.
Don't forget to gank, don't forget to farm !
If you're ganking too much, you'll be late in levels.
If you're not ganking at all, your teammates will be pissed of.
If one of your teammates need to recall, hold his lane : you'll get extra experience, and gold. Just don't push it, since he also need that experience and gold ! Just last hit, and back when he come back.
Don't push a lane when you ganked and failed : just go back to your jungle.
Even if your team is pushing every lane, try to predict where will the ennemy jungler will gank, to counter gank him.
Example : I've seen that my Riven is pushing 24/7, and is under the opponent turret. I can be sure that the ennemy Lee Sin, not seen for a while, will gank her. So I try to stay not far from her, so I can jump to help her whenever he comes.
Ask your team where the wards are, and try to avoid them. There are usually many paths possible to gank without being spotted : use those !
If everithing is warded, ask them to buy some pink wards, or even an oracle. If they can't / don't want / be as cooperative as a donkey, just buy it ;-)
Your job is pretty simple :
First, you are the jungler. That means you need to help lanes which are losing, punish overconfident opponents, and try to take control of the WHOLE jungle : yours, and the ennemy jungler. The jungle is like a lane, you have an direct opponent to best. Unless you'll barely see him, and you can both deny each other, by stealing creeps and buffs. Just be careful, you won't win a fair 1v1 in the jungle. So try to be sneaky, and don't be seen :)
Then, as a jungler, you need to ward. When top lane don't wanna recall but don't have any ward; or just for that midlane who feel overconfident and don't want to waste 75 gold because "I NEED RABADON !! WARDS ARE SUPPORT'S JOB", then just ward ennemy wraiths and near their blus buff. Therefore you'll see your opponent (ennemy jungler, remember ? ) and be able to counter jungle pretty easily.
You should win teamfights early game, like fights for drake, since you can block their whole team easily with a single Curse of the Sad Mummy. Don't get to low in health, so you can contest it.
Don't forget to avoid blowing Curse of the Sad Mummy for a single guy : teh Cooldown is too long for that, and without your ult you're useless. Allways try to catch the whole team, you should allways be able to.
That's the end
Well, end of that guide.
I'll conclude by an amazing video made by Stonewall008. If you don't know him, he's pretty strong jungler, really good at finding different paths, and invading the opponent jungler. Check his videos out, they're really well done : Stonewall008's youtube channel.
There you'll see everything : usual path, red path, Bandage Toss jukes, and how to gank efficiently.
Hope you guys enjoyed it, please tell me how to improve it if you did not, since I'm planning on writing other guides.
Good Luck, and most of all, Have Fun !