Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MobaFire Worm v2.0

Creator: jhoijhoi August 23, 2012 6:17am
115 posts - page 2 of 12
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 9:55am | Report
Telling/showing people might not be enough. Consider the previous mobafire worm attempt(s). Highly skilled people knew what a worm was and our attempt still fell flat. Those people aren't here (for the most part) anymore. And not to sound like an ***, but the ability of a lot of the sig makers here is "low" at best.

Does that mean a worm can't be made? No, but it does mean people who have limited to no experience beyond what they put in their shops might not grasp the amount of actual effort a worm piece needs to actually be a worm, rather than just a line of pieces it needs to flow continuously.

Unless the theme diverges from that premise. As in borders/dividers.

I just don't think the current community is ready for something like this. Hey I could be wrong though, I'm still just going to wait and see.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 10:29am | Report
Yes...a lot of the people who were very into more complicated graphics are no longer here...there is skill involved in tasteful simplicity, the fact that a lot of the sig makers choose not to make something complex doesn't make them unskilled, first off.

Second...as much as there are, to use your phrase, "low ability sig makers"...there are also (still) people who do what they are doing. Assuming this won't work isn't going to make you feel good about it....and being noncommittal won't help it work out either.
Nyoike
<Member>
Nyoike's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 11:11am | Report
Well, might as well sign me up, I'll take #3.

Been out of gfx a bit lately, but wanna get back in. It might take a little bit for me to finish something as I do have college classes now x.x
To be updated soon!
TheMcDanee
<Member>
TheMcDanee's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 11:55am | Report
I can do the third if that is still available
Thanks to Amazing Monkey and Wombo for the signature :)
The one with Riven was done by me :)
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 1:53pm | Report

Yes...a lot of the people who were very into more complicated graphics are no longer here...there is skill involved in tasteful simplicity, the fact that a lot of the sig makers choose not to make something complex doesn't make them unskilled, first off.

Second...as much as there are, to use your phrase, "low ability sig makers"...there are also (still) people who do what they are doing. Assuming this won't work isn't going to make you feel good about it....and being noncommittal won't help it work out either.

There is simplicity and then there is no actual work done, just snagging a splash or render and adding text. The two are dissimilar, I've always stated that simple isn't bad. Simple could be as basic as changing color/contrast/add lighting/color changes/ etc. If all you're doing is adding text then you might as well just leave it out, because as most people know text in a signature is a very important part and can actually ruin a piece. Or that is my opinion.

As to me being noncommittal college literally started back up for me today. I won't sign up for something that will take my time/energy/patience unless I know it would be worth it for me. Meaning: I'll have a lot of homework to do, and not much time for anything else. So I'll be weighing making a tag for this worm and playing as much league as possible when done with homework for the day.

I'll say this again for like the 1000th time, that way if I have to make a post like I did previously people won't get confused or assume I'm saying there work is "bad" or w/e.

Simple, is not bad, simple can be very good. There are many tags I've seen that could register as SIMPLE. But they are some of the coolest things I've seen. We all learn at our own pace and we all end up with some sort of style we like to call our own (literally or figuratively). Simple/simplistic/basic/elegant/minimalist/etc. IS NOT A BAD THING.

What is bad, is someone taking a splash/render throwing it onto a digital canvas, then adding text, a process which could take 2 minutes all together. That can be seen as bad. Some people are very good with text and THAT is their way of doing things. But if the text takes less effort than pasting the tag onto the canvas, you're probably doing it wrong.

I understand that is how a lot of people start out (including me), I'm not opposed to people learning or trying to improve, but if all you do is throw text into something then ask for CnC, don't expect to get much more than "What did you do to it?" as a response.

Anyway sorry for ranting, but for some reason I thought it necessary to clarify/justify myself once again; even though I've always stated and or eluded to "simple isn't bad".
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 3:44pm | Report
Ny: Sure! I've slotted you in for #3 :)

TheMcDanee: 3rd is taken, but would you like #4? I'll put you there for now, but if you want to change, don't hesitate to inform me!

Jeffy: I'll come out and say it straight up. The reason why the first worm failed was because people were so inexperienced that when they tried to merge their version to the last one, they did very very poorly (misalignments, shade/colour differences, making it really hard to continue the worm by using a resource the next person didn't have etc). This was due to a variety of factors, including the fact that most people never opened the previous work in their program to ensure continuity. To "hide" that problem, I would take the time to try and make each join seamless, which I think I did a very good job of.

Now, let me say some things to you:

1) Being negative about the skill level of our art community is rude and uncalled for. I explicitly state that ANYONE, no matter their skill level, is invited to join. It does not matter if their chosen form of making sigs is "only slapping text on a render", it does not matter if they have 25 years experience with Photoshop and/or draw their own contribution. THERE IS NO WRONG WAY TO MAKE ART. Especially if you enjoying doing it. Saying that the artists in this forum are of "low" skill is mind-boggling mean. Everyone is new to their program once, and I'm sure you can remember your own early efforts COMPARED to what you do now. If people approached you back in the day and said, "WOW, your skill is INFERIOR!" would you have felt happy? Even if they said after, "No offense"?

2) If you think participating in a community effort is a waste of your time, that's fine, but don't be so negative about something that a lot of other people are positive about. You just about rained on the parade of every single person who has read this thread. People who thought about joining but then read your posts, probably opted out.

3) Last but not least, don't assume this community is of low intelligence. I've provided at least 4 examples in the original post, I've included a description of the project, I've added in tips and tricks so people know off the bat what can be done if they need help. With all those resources, I'm positive the participants in this worm will be able to make things flow, they know how much flow is important.

@Everyone else: Come on! Join in, unlike some of the misconceptions in the posts above me, we don't CARE what your skill level is like, as long as you have fun and learn something along the way by participating in a community project that may continue for some time :)
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 4:15pm | Report
Here you must have missed this though:

1. "I'll say this again for like the 1000th time, that way if I have to make a post like I did previously people won't get confused or assume I'm saying there work is "bad" or w/e."

2. As to me being noncommittal college literally started back up for me today. I won't sign up for something that will take my time/energy/patience unless I know it would be worth it for me. Meaning: I'll have a lot of homework to do, and not much time for anything else. So I'll be weighing making a tag for this worm and playing as much league as possible when done with homework for the day.

3. Never implied or stated the people of the mobafire community are unintelligent. Simply stated people might not fully grasp the amount of work that should be involved for a worm project, or how much importance is placed on flow. Examples are nice, but if people do not understand the full potential of photoshop or the various other image editing programs (free or otherwise) and the tools those programs have then tackling something like a worm piece would be like scaling Everest never having been mountain climbing before.

I know you didn't intend to misrepresent what I said, I'm also hoping you weren't intending to demonize me. All I did was put forth my valid concerns and a reason as to why I might not be willing to take part. But if you did intend those things, then I guess I should have been more clear (although I thought I was) and I'm sorry.
DuskToGlory
<Member>
DuskToGlory's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 4:51pm | Report
I'll take spot 6, plenty of time to practice continuity on earlier spots.

This sounds like a fun and interesting project, making multiple individual projects into one large piece.

Thanks to DuskToGlory for the sigs. LOL :)

Working on a Pantheon guide, will finish when I get around to it, could be never.
+Rep? Do my actions please you?
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 5:26pm | Report
@Jeffy: Sorry, all I read in your posts was negativity. If you didn't want to participate, you just needed to not comment at all; there's no need to say, "I'm not going to join in because of college and I don't want to spend time on something not worth my time". If you want to continue this discussion, please PM me, I can't see anything positive coming from continuing it here. You've already raised your concerns on a project you feel will be inadequate/a possible waste of your time, and I feel that if that's all you're going to contribute to this thread, you've exhausted possible things to add. Feel free to continue posting comments that are positive, or constructive criticism when the worm does start, and of course please consider joining us if you end up deciding you would like to :)

@DuskToGlory: Rightyo! #6 is now yours :D I'll update it as soon as I get back from uni... gottah submit my 20 page assessment of 3 year 8 English lesson plans... so boring :(
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
TheMcDanee
<Member>
TheMcDanee's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2012 12:54am | Report
Sure I'll take number four, just send me an image of the third and I'll start working
Thanks to Amazing Monkey and Wombo for the signature :)
The one with Riven was done by me :)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide