Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

GG RIOT ADDING THEIR OWN JUNGLE TIMERS TO THE GAME

Creator: Janitsu June 23, 2014 12:51pm
1 2 3 4 5 6
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 23, 2014 12:51pm | Report

Boiling down what we talked about in our design values, League of Legends provides three basic paths to mastery: personal expertise, teamwork, and adaptability – our focus will be on the first. Personal expertise is a complex soup of skills but we can generally agree that elements like mechanical mastery, situational awareness, and game knowledge are vital ingredients.

Most of these are universal to the League of Legends experience and are agnostic to the map, mode, or champion you play – though a few of them can be overloaded based on your preferences. Regardless, we’ve also declared that a few things aren’t part of the experience, like hardcore multi-unit micromanagement, rote memorization of patterns, or bookkeeping.

The new jungle timers are nestled at the top of the screen. They won't be presenting any new or hidden information. Rather, they present existing information in a visual display.

Jungle timers fall into that last case, and serve as an example of important information being presented in an impractical manner. Looking back, there was a lot of internal debate over whether this level of information should be exposed.

On one side, a case could be made that map-level objective awareness is a significant aspect of skill – and to that, we wholeheartedly agree. We would not, for example, alert you when an opponent entered your immediate radius from fog, nor would we ever track enemy cooldowns for you. Your interactions with your opponents are sacred and we will always leave those interactions alone.

On the other side – and here's what finally changed our minds – the jungle is a constant environment; unlike champions, monsters will always be where you expect them to be; unlike cooldowns, there is no variability in respawn rates. With timestamps available in the team chat window, timing of jungle monsters often came down to whoever remembered to type it out. We also don’t want to beat around the bush here: the emergence of third party applications put fuel on the fire, but they only increased our confidence that such a feature was in line with our values.

Ultimately, the question we asked was whether bookkeeping of jungle timers (which, as I mentioned before, was often solved by doing quick math in the chat box) contributed satisfaction of the play experience and we realized it was just too much of a routine task to be of significant value.

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
SkidmarkD
<Member>
SkidmarkD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 23, 2014 1:04pm | Report
Dumbing down the game.
GG indeed.
Jack Rubino
<Member>
Jack Rubino's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 23, 2014 1:25pm | Report
Rito pls.
"Ah... delicious."
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 23, 2014 1:40pm | Report
luv u riot <3
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Hogopogo

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Cooper112
<Member>
Cooper112's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 23, 2014 1:54pm | Report
Lol people mad the only thing this will change is make game more about champion skill and micro less about game knowledge. I dont see the real issue here it makes game more balanced and fair.

Oh also you still need to learn to time peoples spells i suggest people to do that now time other lane flash and so on.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 23, 2014 2:14pm | Report
Game knowledge still is a very important aspect. I'm not really a great mechanical player but I make up for it through good game knowledge. I think it would've been justified to add it for baron/dragon as they are already timed in chat but not for the minor buffs.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 23, 2014 2:17pm | Report
Cooper112 wrote:

Lol people mad the only thing this will change is make game more about champion skill and micro less about game knowledge. I dont see the real issue here it makes game more balanced and fair.

Oh also you still need to learn to time peoples spells i suggest people to do that now time other lane flash and so on.

This isn't call of duty. And this is just the start.

I agree with Vynertje here, baron and drake timers are no biggie but every jungle camp is a little bit ridiculous in my opinion. Now you only have to stroll through their jungle from time to time to get those timers running and that's that? Makes counterjungling a lot easier. And jungling a lot more boring and routine work I'm afraid.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 23, 2014 2:20pm | Report
Soon we will have last hit helpers

Dodge skillshots helpers

Hit skillshots helpers

EVERYTHING

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Cooper112
<Member>
Cooper112's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 23, 2014 2:32pm | Report
Lol you guys are over reacting seriously a buff timer is different that flash cd on emenmy and all that. Riot wont go any farther than this they know the limits.

Its not like there was much skill in knowing when buffs spawn they are same every time in length.

On top of that a common thing i see is why did they ban curse voice then do same thing... The reason curse voice was wrong is because it was not something all player had i think riot actually like the idea of this they just wanted it to be fair for everyone.
Cooper112
<Member>
Cooper112's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 23, 2014 2:37pm | Report
So how it works is you just need vision. If you ward enemy buff and see it die you get timer.
1 2 3 4 5 6

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide