Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

How Rude is Rude in League?

Creator: CrysJaL September 20, 2014 9:45am
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2014 12:47pm | Report
I'd say he's pretty rude.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2014 4:00pm | Report
am i the only one that doesnt see it as being rude? if you think someone saying "nope" to you in a game is rude then you need to remember its a game and not be so sensitive
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2014 4:13pm | Report
DillButt64 wrote:
am i the only one that doesnt see it as being rude? if you think someone saying "nope" to you in a game is rude then you need to remember its a game and not be so sensitive

I would say that it is quite obviously disrespectful.

Say, for example, you take a penalty kick at the goal, but mis-kick and it flies over the goal. If an opponent then comes over to you, and says tauntingly, 'Nope!', I'd say he was being pretty obnoxious and I imagine most people would agree with me. That's pretty much exactly what's happening in the game - the people who say that are mocking and provoking their opponents. That attitude is exactly what rude is considered to be.

Sure, in this game you can ignore them and/or mute them, but is it rude? The intention sure seems that way. Whether or not we need to be sensitive doesn't come into it - there's no real place to mock your opponents in a semi-competitive environment (if you're playing with friends, then that's a different situation) if you're talking about manners or sportsmanship.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2014 6:38pm | Report
in this case yes if the other player obviously messed up that could be taken as rude (but it still sounds like people are being too sensitive) but think of it like this, you take a kick in a normal game and the goalie stops it, or take a shot and someone denies your shot, and the goalie says "nope" then is it really rude? or is it just enjoying the game? if someone outplayed you and acknowledges themselves that they outplayed you then it really isnt rude to say something like "nope" or "nice try" its just a part of the game and competitive spirit of the game
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2014 9:05pm | Report
I don't think it'd get you banned (unless you play in the LCS or something, then it might have some consequences), but talking in allchat is rarely seen as sportsmanlike. Unless you're saying something genuinely friendly, I'd say just don't talk in allchat. Maybe you can win a couple games off of putting an enemy on tilt but personally I don't think it's worth pissing off another person just so you can win one game.

All the people you play against are people too, with their own attitudes and problems. Trash talking even in its mildest form can ruin someone's day. I think it's more worthwhile to be a positive influence on the community. I've met some of my friends when they were players on the enemy team.
Thanks to Hoppermh for the sig!
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2014 10:49pm | Report
If I said "gg ****scrub get rekt you trash tier piece of ****" would that be rude
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Ninja Trigger's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2014 11:28pm | Report
Context, Context, Context

I do enjoy exchanging banter sometimes with the other team, stuff like "Almost" or "Nope" isn't really that bad, but it can really set most people off and is generally accepted as rude, but in some cases it can be fun and a nice way to ease the tension. Getting away with 5 hp after they blow 5 ults on you, saying "Not Today Zerg!" can be a fun thing to say and I see no harm in stuff like that, but saying it all the time over things that are not comment worthy. Or when you are trying to play a mental game and break people or send them on tilt is no different then fighting dirty. Intentionally pissing people off is rude, being Playful is nice, it all just depends on the context.

but saying "Ez" or "Easy" at the end of a game in my opinion is always a **** move.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2014 3:49am | Report
DillButt64 wrote:
you take a kick in a normal game and the goalie stops it, or take a shot and someone denies your shot, and the goalie says "nope" then is it really rude?

I would actually say it was rude, yes. No matter how you try to argue it, it seems to me (even if the goalie didn't have that intent, though I don't see how he wouldn't) that all he's doing is taunting the enemy. Mockery isn't good sportsmanship.

'Nice try' sounds a lot less like mockery, because if meant seriously, then the opponent is commending you for your efforts. But 'nope' sets a really different tone.

I guess it's just something we disagree on, but I don't like to risk it, so I just mute anyone who says anything that even appears unnecessarily negative in ranked (maybe I'll let it slide in normals).

Actually, I've been meaning to do it for some time, but I keep forgetting to disable all-chat.
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2014 4:07am | Report
I myself consider it fun if people taunt eachother on the all-chat because it makes the game feel more alive, as long as there aren't any insults thrown within. If I get taunted by the enemies, I feel like "**** I fcked up, better improve my plays". Then the next time I will do it better and then taunt the enemies and they will be like "OEH NOES" and then they do more their best and repeat cycle.

It doesn't happen often that I see someone bothered by the taunting that I do, so I guess it also matters what you say, how you say it and when you say it (and of course know when to stop). It is true that repeating the same thing over and over again (like "nope") can be really annoying, especially if the enemies don't taunt back. So I suggest using more vocabulary or just stop if they don't respond with a taunt as well.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Bludes
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2014 4:28am | Report
Meiyjhe wrote:
I myself consider it fun if people taunt eachother on the all-chat because it makes the game feel more alive

You were just about the only person using the /all chat in the inhouse for taunting comments, and I thought it was really BM. I can say for sure that everyone is annoyed when you or anyone else send a taunting message in /all chat in both inhouses and regular games.

Meiyjhe wrote:
If I get taunted by the enemies, I feel like "**** I fcked up, better improve my plays".

Really? Because most people feel like "yeah, I know, you don't have to rub it in".

Meiyjhe wrote:
It doesn't happen often that I see someone bothered by the taunting that I do

That's because nobody wants to start anything or get further annoyed/upset. Responding to taunts is nearly always followed by some sort of "PJSalt" comment.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide