Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Leaver buster needs soms fixes and or new...

Creator: Shaddofokkusu January 24, 2015 10:35pm
1 2
Should leaver buster have new systems implmented?
Shaddofokkusu
<Member>
Shaddofokkusu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2015 10:35pm | Report
So riot introduced the leaver buster system back in 2013 that would flag a person as afk if they were inactive for to long in a game and it would put a mark on their account. Also the leaver buster system would detect people who were disconnected for too long as well and count that as a leave for them as well. However leaver buster leaves out some very important system and I wish they would add these systems that so many other games have.

The changes I'm suggesting are ones that already exist in other games so these aren't new things that need to be experimented on to see if they work properly. here's the systems I'm suggesting be added.

1. Players should be able to leave a game safely or forfeit if a player has been idly afk or disconnected for more than 5 minutes in a game. Dota 2 and dawngate both have this system in play and the communities praise the creators for this because it lets them leave a game that would have been 20-30minutes of a 4 vs. 5 that then turned into a 10 minutes game that they could walk away from and start fresh in a new one with a fair playing field.

2.Leaver buster should tell players whether or not someone disconnected due to a game crash or a internet failire. I know this one is kind of personal, but look at it in this light. I've experienced both these issues and I know many others who have as well. Granted the computer crashing was due to it being an old as heck where's waldo joke computer", but I've also had my fair share of internet outages. The reason I propose this idea is because since I've experienced this it could help people judge how to report someone because here's my thought process on it.

(Theory 1) "A summoner has lost internet connection." Ok well one of 2 things has happened. They either disconnected their internet on purpose to leave the game.(A but extreme yes I know, but I know people who used to do that.)
(Theory 2) "A summoner's game has crashed." "Again these are two differnt scenario's that I can think of off the top of my head. The player either turned off their computer due to too much anger at the game and just wanted to get away with it or they legitimately had their computer blue screen. (and yes some people still play on $200 computers the past 4 years in starcraft 2 confirm that.)

Now the notifications are not really necessary, but I think it might help in making more accurate reports to some degree. Just a suggestion.
Shaddofokkusu
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2015 1:32am | Report
Also sorry for the typo on the poll when I was posting there was a good bit of lag since I'm not in my own home and at a friends house. So the internet here quite literally lags so much there's a 3 minute delay to when I type I'm currently looking into fixing this for him.

Again I apologize for that typo on the poll!
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2015 3:58am | Report
1. Too easy to abuse it. The punishments should get like 1000x worse and that'd be sad for those who have connection/hardware issues.

2. Hard to define and if they were able to, it'd be easy to cheat the system.

Despite the fact that these are good ideas it would be too hard for the Riot Games to implement these.

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2015 7:31am | Report
1. I feel like people who leave games, regardless of the reason why, should just be ranked restricted for, say, 24 hours and lose more LP than their teammates if the game is a loss. It doesn't matter if "it's not your fault", because it still happened and it still made the entire experience worse for everyone involved. I would like to note that even when I had a 4 year old piece of **** laptop that could barely run league and I never got an actual "leave" from anything that happened because league was one of the few things I did and I made sure my computer could run it. No excuse for blue screening during a game except you haven't optimized your computer's ability to run the game/you have way too much **** for your computer to function/you might need a cooling pad if it's just overheating. If you can't make the game work properly consistently, then you should probably not be playing anything besides normals and if leaver buster catches up to you, I can't say I'm particularly sorry for you. Period, end of story. Internet issues suck, but again, you should actually check if you know your internet can sometimes go to ****. I used to check back when I'd have games where I'd play at 400 ping to see if it was being ornery or not before doing anything besides normal games.

2. Yes, there are times when things just go wrong, but there's nothing anyone can really do about it. On top of everything else, the leavers/afks cost riot less than dealing with them would.
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2015 7:43am | Report
I would suggest that if someone disconnects for 5 minutes, his team can surrender regardless of the 20 minute mark(there could be an automatic surrender vote). The person who dc'd looses the lp all the other players on his team would have lost and the game doesn't count for placements/promos etc. You could obviously implement manda's solution on top of that.
I AM NOT AFFECTED BY ELOHELL. NOOBS AND TROLLS NEVER RUIN MY RANKED GAMES.
I DON'T GET STUCK AND I NEVER GET ONLY 2LP FOR A WIN.

I AM UNRANKED.

also check out my Ryze guide
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2015 2:27pm | Report
If you pull out your internet cable, the server won't get any response. If your game crashes, the server won't get any response. If you close the client with the quit button, the server would be able to record this, but it would still be hard to imagine what the cause of this quit is. A reboot because of some rare visual bug or just because the player doesn't feel like it anymore?

Most of the possible solutions listed in this thread could lead to teams trying to get one of their teammates to disconnect. Losing a game hard? Make one of your teammates leave (or maybe something dirtier using the IP you managed to fetch from a Skype call or whatnot) and act like the game never happened.

To answer your question: yes I think there are still things to improve on LeaverBuster, though I'm more thinking in the direction of the leaver rather than the rest of the team.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Shaddofokkusu
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2015 2:46pm | Report
If you pull out your internet cable, the server won't get any response. If your game crashes, the server won't get any response. If you close the client with the quit button, the server would be able to record this, but it would still be hard to imagine what the cause of this quit is. A reboot because of some rare visual bug or just because the player doesn't feel like it anymore?

Most of the possible solutions listed in this thread could lead to teams trying to get one of their teammates to disconnect. Losing a game hard? Make one of your teammates leave (or maybe something dirtier using the IP you managed to fetch from a Skype call or whatnot) and act like the game never happened.

To answer your question: yes I think there are still things to improve on LeaverBuster, though I'm more thinking in the direction of the leaver rather than the rest of the team.

There are actually systems on some games that can detect if someone pulled their internet or their computer crashed and I would agree yes it would put more strain on riot. I just want to see some improvements on leaver buster overall because there are games that feel in winnable due to someone leaving for whatever reason.
Shaddofokkusu
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2015 2:48pm | Report
I would suggest that if someone disconnects for 5 minutes, his team can surrender regardless of the 20 minute mark(there could be an automatic surrender vote). The person who dc'd looses the lp all the other players on his team would have lost and the game doesn't count for placements/promos etc. You could obviously implement manda's solution on top of that.

1. I feel like people who leave games, regardless of the reason why, should just be ranked restricted for, say, 24 hours and lose more LP than their teammates if the game is a loss. It doesn't matter if "it's not your fault", because it still happened and it still made the entire experience worse for everyone involved. I would like to note that even when I had a 4 year old piece of **** laptop that could barely run league and I never got an actual "leave" from anything that happened because league was one of the few things I did and I made sure my computer could run it. No excuse for blue screening during a game except you haven't optimized your computer's ability to run the game/you have way too much **** for your computer to function/you might need a cooling pad if it's just overheating. If you can't make the game work properly consistently, then you should probably not be playing anything besides normals and if leaver buster catches up to you, I can't say I'm particularly sorry for you. Period, end of story. Internet issues suck, but again, you should actually check if you know your internet can sometimes go to ****. I used to check back when I'd have games where I'd play at 400 ping to see if it was being ornery or not before doing anything besides normal games.

2. Yes, there are times when things just go wrong, but there's nothing anyone can really do about it. On top of everything else, the leavers/afks cost riot less than dealing with them would.

I did mention this as an option because many other games have this system in place and it works wonders for keeping unwinnable games long due to someone afking or disconnecting. I actually do wonder if riot has considered it, but for whatever reason haven't already done it. Also as far as the LP decay I think maybe the person who went afk or disconnected should get double decay and a ranked game ban for the day. While his teammates should receive halved LP decay for that game.

I don't want to sound aggressive about this one, but I do agree with you Bard on that people should have computers able to run games without crashing/having issues, but we still live in a world of ignorant people who think that because they spent $400 on a computer 10 years ago that it will still run perfectly now.(sorry bit of a run on sentence there.)
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2015 2:57pm | Report

There are actually systems on some games that can detect if someone pulled their internet or their computer crashed and I would agree yes it would put more strain on riot. I just want to see some improvements on leaver buster overall because there are games that feel in winnable due to someone leaving for whatever reason.
I would like to see examples of such systems, because usually the definition of crash includes that the client isn't able to tell the server "hey man, I crashed. Yes, it's awful. Probably something to do with hardware failures and some segmentation fault somewhere. Definitely not caused by the user, no.. I know the guy. Wouldn't kill the process while it's busy or corrupt the memory. Yeah I'll be back in two minutes. See ya, bye!"
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Shaddofokkusu
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2015 3:10pm | Report
There were some old games back in the day that I remember having crash detection and I believe on of them was Everquest if you had peer to peer enabled for server side detection. It was a bit easier to detect things back then since everyone ran the same hardware. I have looked up some other games that have crash detection, but most of them are single player games to have the failsafe auto-save function. Upon thinking about it I mean the system crash detection is a bit over the top, but however the user d/c needs to be a thing again. Back in season 1 the game would tell you if a user disconnected vs. quitting. The messages would read for those who don't remember were "A summoner has disconnected." and the other one was "A summoner has left the game." The announcer would even say the lines with the visual message. Why this was taken out I'm not entirely sure.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide