Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Official Advice/Tips & Tricks Thread

Creator: jhoijhoi June 23, 2013 5:11pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2013 1:47am | Report
you give them examples of what works at their level and by the time they get to a higher level they learn what works at that level, being a low level player i can say that telling people "YOU HAVE TO COUNTER HURR DURR" normally makes low level players google "HOW 2 COUNTER CHAMP" and then pick a champion they have no idea how to play because a website told them too, plus people learn their counters over time

yes you can give them a correct example of what works in high level play, but low level players arnt playing in high level play so not only will it confuse them but they could also take it the wrong way or out of context (like the old "focus the adc" thing people do completely forgetting they have to peel and diving whole teams to get to them cuz some high elo person said adcs do more damage kill them first)
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2013 1:50am | Report
DillButt64 wrote:

you give them examples of what works at their level and by the time they get to a higher level they learn what works at that level, being a low level player i can say that telling people "YOU HAVE TO COUNTER HURR DURR" normally makes low level players google "HOW 2 COUNTER CHAMP" and then pick a champion they have no idea how to play because a website told them too, plus people learn their counters over time

yes you can give them a correct example of what works in high level play, but low level players arnt playing in high level play so not only will it confuse them but they could also take it the wrong way or out of context (like the old "focus the adc" thing people do completely forgetting they have to peel and diving whole teams to get to them cuz some high elo person said adcs do more damage kill them first)

That is why you need to put everything in the correct context. For the example of counterpicks, I always say the following:

Quoted:

Try to find a balance between counterpicking and playing champions you CAN play. There is no point in countering someone with a champion you can't play, but try to pick the best champion according to your matchup

This way you learn someone how counterpicking works ("what champions are good against what champion") without forcing someone out his comfort zone.

To apply this to my example on picking a champion against irelia:
lets say your top champion pool is the following: (In order of 'best champion' to 'comfortable pick')
Khazix, Jayce, Singed, Garen

Basically, if you blindly pick your best champion (khazix, or possibly jayce), you usually get destroyed. However, this imaginary player also plays Singed and Garen, who are both good picks against Irelia. This way you can pick accordingly to your matchup without forcing yourself out of your comfort picks.

Besides that, your example of 'focus the adc' is even more proof to put things in the correct context, which is completely what this thread has been lacking. Everybody only shares one way, but no one bothers explaining the other side of the story in which their 'advice' does not apply. The big problem is, that usually this is too broad to explain, and this comes with experience. That is why threads like this only teach you bad habits instead of really helping out people.

I would recommend that if any of you is really concerned with the 'fate of the noobs' - go start your own mentoring programme just like I did. That is what helps people, this thread is utterly useless.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2013 1:55am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

> This suggests that you should ONLY last hit all the time.

Good job quoting what he wrote and what I changed it to. Like I said, I'm editing the posts as I work. If you don't want to contribute positively, then don't post here. We're looking for friendly, helpful advice. All you're doing is antagonising people. If you have something positive to share, then do so. You're not helping anyone by being patronising. Point out the flaws, recommend changes and that's it. Don't put people down, it's rude and uncalled for.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2013 1:59am | Report
I am by no means hating on people individually. I am just criticizing the idea of this thread and the effectiveness because I have experiences that prove this thread as a misstep into aiding others.

To come up with another example: If you have a look at my blog, you can see how much work a piece of advice on a single topic takes. There is no universal way for anything, and therefore a 3-line-advice is misleading.
-NA- Veng Lmfao
<Altruistic Artist>
-NA- Veng Lmfao's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2013 2:02am | Report
"Counterpicks can be a really important factor in high-elo gameplay, only at lower ratings (bronze and <lvl30) it is minor because usually people don't know the mechanics - for example, Janna > Leona)"

The key phrase is "high-elo". I'm just teaching what I put into my strategy, which isn't high elo.
I agree that improving is long term. But if you came into a job, you would be tought the basics, not the intricate, detailed jobs. That's for later days. This thread is basic stuff.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2013 2:04am | Report
If you read carefully, I also pointed out that anyone that is silver or above (and even pointed out that some high-elo stuff also applies for anyone that is bronze 3 or above) can make good use of any knowledge on counterpicks.

Besides, you don't even answer to my re-phrasal of your 'advice'
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2013 2:11am | Report
Sorry, I must have missed whatever you were asking me, due to wasteful comments. I understand that some pieces of advice may not be absolutely correct, and I'm working to the best of my ability to ensure that submissions are republished in a manner that makes sense.

If there are any in particular that are "off", I'm happy to edit. For now, please tone down your negative language and turn your frown upside down, because no one likes someone who takes joy in destroying the ideas of others.

♡ sig by me ♡
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2013 2:16am | Report
There is no jhoi in this for me. I am actually completely pissed off over some of you because you do dumb stuff, simply because you have a good heart and want to help, without having the knowledge /time/whatever to.

Just... please... take the advice from a veteran mentor like me, that this is not the way to help people.

PS: I like the hypocrisy over you talking about 'destroying ideas' when my idea (which got tons of support) on scout reform got totally CRUSHED by you and a few other veterans
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2013 2:25am | Report
My god Vyn. Get over yourself. From the 10+ submissions up there, I've learnt something from at least 3. This is helping me. If it's not helping you, then okay. I'm not forcing you to read this thread. This website is all about sharing knowledge and I'm trying to promote that in this thread. Please just contribute positively and don't take this thread off topic. If you want to talk about why you weren't promoted to scout, PM me, don't drag unrelated things into this thread.

On a happier note, the original post has been updated design-wise. I will be going through and editing the submissions further, so just give me a heads up if I've missed a typo or if a tip is written out of context.

Thanks to all who have participated! <3

♡ sig by me ♡
-NA- Veng Lmfao
<Altruistic Artist>
-NA- Veng Lmfao's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 24, 2013 2:31am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

My god Vyn. Get over yourself. From the 10+ submissions up there, I've learnt something from at least 3. This is helping me. If it's not helping you, then okay. I'm not forcing you to read this thread. This website is all about sharing knowledge and I'm trying to promote that in this thread. Please just contribute positively and don't take this thread off topic. If you want to talk about why you weren't promoted to scout, PM me, don't drag unrelated things into this thread.

On a happier note, the original post has been updated design-wise. I will be going through and editing the submissions further, so just give me a heads up if I've missed a typo or if a tip is written out of context.

Thanks to all who have participated! <3

We're not agianst you Vynertje. You're trying to help but you're not doing it in the correct way. Quote something and Jhoi can submit it?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide