Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Outdated guides

Creator: Ekki September 10, 2015 8:25pm
20 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2015 8:25pm | Report
Is there anything you should do once you have an outdated guide and don't plan to update it? A week ago I decided to leave one of my guides rest in the guide graveyard, and it made me think.

Maybe we should have a "this guide is outdated" button, or outdated guides should go down faster after heavy changes to the specific champion/item in that guide. There are lots of champions that have outdated guides on the top 3 for weeks or even months after the change has been made. I've seen enough DFG guides to know some tweaking in guide decay will be good.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2015 8:32pm | Report
You can archive it. That's the best I can think of right now though.
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
BigBoxGamer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2015 8:47pm | Report
In my opinion, any guide that hasn't been updated for 5 patches, or depending on how much a new patch changes should be deleted. The obvious right now is anything not updated for Season 5 should be deleted.
Short Term Goals: Silver/Gold/Platinum || Long Term Goals: Diamond/Master/Challenger
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2015 9:21pm | Report
Lugignaf wrote:
You can archive it. That's the best I can think of right now though.
Huh, haven't seen that option. I think I may still update my guide in some time, can I de-archive my guide if needed? Should I start a new guide rather than update the new one if enough time passes?

Sorry if I make too many questions, I still don't understand proper guide etiquette D:

In my opinion, any guide that hasn't been updated for 5 patches, or depending on how much a new patch changes should be deleted. The obvious right now is anything not updated for Season 5 should be deleted.
IDK, I like the "historical" value of old guides. I would still delete most old guides with low scores/few views and inactive users.

Anyways, the problem here isn't about old guides that will naturally fall off the search engine. The problem is those guides that were updated right before DFG was removed and stayed top guides with an useless core item as their first buy.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2015 12:40am | Report
Yep, you can unarchive a guide if you want. Archiving it still means it's there, just nobody can find it unless they have the link for it.

As for BBG's suggestion of deleting all non-S5 guides, I think I'll pass on that. Only mods/admins can actually delete guides right now. However, the system should be automatically archiving guides that get too outdated. That said, please report any guides you cheating this system. That goes to everyone. :)
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2015 12:58am | Report
I don't know why you wouldn't, there's been so many changes since the end of Season 4 that any guild from Season 4 ad pre-Season 5 are completely irrelevant. Because, none of them are up to date on the current meta, the current items in the game, the current state of the jungle, mid, top and bot lanes. Nothing about those older guides are relevant to the game and should be deleted for being irrelevant and not useful to any one in any way.
Short Term Goals: Silver/Gold/Platinum || Long Term Goals: Diamond/Master/Challenger
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2015 1:07am | Report
I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say you don't know how many guides there are that simply aren't updated for the current season. In that same vein, I'm also going to guess, and this one is less of a guess, that you don't know how slow the deletion process is.

Basically, We're not going to delete the ones not updated for season 5 because there's a metric ****load of them, AND some people might actually want to update them later, without the annoyance of having to start over 100% when it comes to coding and chapters and everything like that.

So, in the short run it might make you happy, but we're totally not in it for that. In the long run it makes sense to make a larger amount of the userbase happy. Which means, not having to delete every single guide that's old, since that's a lot of work for not a lot of people. And those not a lot of people have things they do other than be invisible overlords here.

So I'll reiterate, please just report ones you find that are out of date and not archived. It makes life nice for everyone.

And I swear, if you seek out every ****ing guide that's not up to date I will find a way to end you.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2015 1:43am | Report
Deleting old guides is an awful idea because people might still want to update them at some point (and it isn't right to undo their hard work without a notice to begin with), archiving could be ok. Having said that, it's not exactly a big issue considering the S4/S3/.. notation in the guide lists as well as the date of last update / "Not Updated For Current Season" note being displayed on the guide itself.

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
BigBoxGamer
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2015 1:48am | Report
That's how you end up with crud though, that's how you end up with a pile of trash that should have been thrown away years ago. But you thought, "I might still want to use that" two years ago and haven't come close to touching it, and further from actually needing it. In the wise words of Archer, "do you want ants? Because, that's how you get ants."
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2015 2:19am | Report
That's how you end up with crud though, that's how you end up with a pile of trash that should have been thrown away years ago. But you thought, "I might still want to use that" two years ago and haven't come close to touching it, and further from actually needing it. In the wise words of Archer, "do you want ants? Because, that's how you get ants."

Let's say I made a guide in season 1 and let it sit there until it is outdated. Let's also say that I wanna make a new guide reusing the coding from my old guide because I liked it a lot. If old guides got deleted, I would not be able to do that and I wouldn't even be able to look at my old guide to reverse-engineer the coding. Now also keep in mind that accoding to you guides that are not even a year old should be deleted. Everyone would hate it, not to mention that stuff like Jhoijhoi's guide to make guides would get deleted too, and literally no one wants that.
I AM NOT AFFECTED BY ELOHELL. NOOBS AND TROLLS NEVER RUIN MY RANKED GAMES.
I DON'T GET STUCK AND I NEVER GET ONLY 2LP FOR A WIN.

I AM UNRANKED.

also check out my Ryze guide
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide