Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Veteran's Scars vs Runic Armor

Creator: VexRoth September 30, 2016 11:16am

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

1 2
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 30, 2016 11:16am | Report
Can someone check my math/reasoning?

I've been playing a decent amount of Nautilus of late so I was wondering what the best masteries would be for tank Nautilus, Runic Armor or Veteran's Scars.

The answer I keep coming up with is that anyone with a shield that scales with health Veteran's Scars wins. Skarner and Nautilus are two that come to mind.

So, Runic Armor wins in all cases until you add the 50 hit points that you get from Veteran's Scars back into the equation.

Looking strictly at 18th level Skarner with no items (the numbers hold at whatever level).

Shield with VS - 370.77
Shield with RA - 391.25

But with VS you just get a flat 50 HP, which is basically the equivalent of 1 point of shield so your effective shield with VS is 370.77 + 50 = 420.77

So VS appears to be better at all levels if you have a shield that scales with HP unless you happen to be a character that gets significant benefits from lifesteal, spell vamp, or health regeneration on top of the bonus you get to your shield, because you get to count the health twice. Once in the percentage calculation for the abilities' scaling and a second time for the flat 50 HP that 5 points in the mastery gives you.

And VS wins by a huge amount early game (a difference of 50 points, dropping off to a difference of 30 points due to the pecentage scaling on Runic Armor starting to cut into the flat bonus HP from Veteran's Scars).
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 30, 2016 12:26pm | Report

Glad to see MOBAFire has not changed a bit.
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 30, 2016 12:49pm | Report
yup. not one bit. I am still trying to get what this guy is saying.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 30, 2016 1:17pm | Report
Fewer words? Okay.

I did these maths thingees that suggest that Veteran's Scars is better than Runic Armor if you are playing a champion that has a shield that scales off health.

For anyone that has knowledge about the matter, what is your take on topic. Correct? Wrong? Why?

Thanks,
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 30, 2016 1:27pm | Report
VexRoth wrote:
Fewer words? Okay.

I did these maths thingees that suggest that Veteran's Scars is better than Runic Armor if you are playing a champion that has a shield that scales off health.

For anyone that has knowledge about the matter, what is your take on topic. Correct? Wrong? Why?

Thanks,

Wrong. Since 1) You did not take items into account. 2) You did not take health regeneration, healing, other shields, etc. into account.

Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 30, 2016 1:50pm | Report
why did it take me so long to come back?
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 30, 2016 3:07pm | Report
Instead of being passive aggressive, why not just answer his question in the first place?

Beyond just shields, Runic Armor affects all kinds of regen that you get throughout the game. It affects your base health regen, support abilities used on you, and any regen or shields you buy. I think it's most often superior to Veteran's Scars because 50 HP only wins in short-term scenarios (usually early all-ins).

HP scaling on abilities isn't a good enough reason to run Vet Scars imo.
Thanks to Lugignaf for the sig!
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 30, 2016 3:17pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:
Instead of being passive aggressive, why not just answer his question in the first place?

VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 30, 2016 4:17pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

Beyond just shields, Runic Armor affects all kinds of regen that you get throughout the game. It affects your base health regen, support abilities used on you, and any regen or shields you buy. I think it's most often superior to Veteran's Scars because 50 HP only wins in short-term scenarios (usually early all-ins).

HP scaling on abilities isn't a good enough reason to run Vet Scars imo.

Thanks PsiGuard. :-)
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 30, 2016 4:18pm | Report
Runic Armor also works on potions
1 2

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide