Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Why is Gold considered high ELO?

Creator: regatto August 27, 2013 1:01am
1 2 3 4
regatto
<Member>
regatto's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 1:01am | Report
id love to know. i know gold is like the top 2 percent of players, but still. a player at gold level can't really be considered high ELO. your play only starts becoming truly relevant to your rating at around diamond level imo (maybe generously plat 2/1). just wonderin yo.
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 2:26am | Report
Gold isn't high elo.

Last season, when you reached gold, you're only at the "I have a basic correct understanding of how the game works" stage.

To be fair this season many gold 5 players don't even understand how the game works.

http://lolmatches.com/charts

Around 10% of the players are gold. Highly doubt thats high elo considering there are many who don't play ranked and many who aren't even lvl 30

I'd say high elo is from plat to challenger.
regatto
<Member>
regatto's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 2:39am | Report
Embracing wrote:

Gold isn't high elo.

Last season, when you reached gold, you're only at the "I have a basic correct understanding of how the game works" stage.

To be fair this season many gold 5 players don't even understand how the game works.

http://lolmatches.com/charts

Around 10% of the players are gold. Highly doubt thats high elo considering there are many who don't play ranked and many who aren't even lvl 30

I'd say high elo is from plat to challenger.

i was refering to mobafire's guiding section putting gold ranked players under high ELO. ima edit my post to clarify that.
regatto
<Member>
regatto's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 2:40am | Report
wait why cant i edit my posts l0l.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 2:42am | Report
Actually, only plat+ is considered high elo on mobafire, only those ratings will get you featured
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 2:42am | Report
Ohh Yeah I brought that up before and a lot of people mentioned to change it to gold 2 and above but that discussion kinda died.

I can bring it up again if you'd like.

@Vynertje: Gold guides are on front page under the “High elo" section
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 2:48am | Report
Embracing wrote:

Ohh Yeah I brought that up before and a lot of people mentioned to change it to gold 2 and above but that discussion kinda died.

I can bring it up again if you'd like.

@Vynertje: Gold guides are on front page under the “High elo" section

Oh right, but they're not featured on the guides page (I checked nasus, for example)
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 3:33am | Report
They're considered high elo for the High Elo section because comparatively, it is high elo. Bronze and silver encompasses 90% of the ranked playerbase. But only around 800,000 players ( on NA ) play ranked, while millions of players play League of Legends daily. 99% of those unranked players would be bronze or silver if they played ranked.

So basically, as unnotable as gold may seem to a plat / diamond / challenger player, you still can't deny that gold is far better than most of the LoL community, and to be honest, I rarely ever saw someone build completely wrong when I was in gold. Gold players tend to know their ****. The only way they fail compared to plats is they're just simply not as good at the game, both mechanically and when making fast decisions on the spot.
DarkPercy
<Member>
DarkPercy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 4:04am | Report
Embracing and the others, you might love these links slightly more the LoLMatches (lol holy **** that site haha).

http://www.lolsummoners.com/stats/rankings/na

http://www.lolsummoners.com/stats/rankings/euw

EUW has considerably more players. Interestingly enough, EUW also has less Silver, less Gold, less Plat and less Diamond players but way more bronze players.

I suppose this confirms V4p0r4's theory. More unranked people that get into ranked = more bronze peeps.

Gold is the top 13.5% of ranked players... Which is probably really the top 2% of all players (considering unranked people as silver/bronze). Not bad at all but I'm still not sure about calling it high elo lol. I'm fine with their guides being in the high elo section but not really featured (and that's the way it is atm so GG)

Made by -NA- Veng Lmfao
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
IShouldGetALife's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2013 4:29am | Report
Going by the NA stats would the accurate interpretation of elo hell actually be silver V since that is where the highest concentration of players are stuck?
If I have helped in anyway at all a +rep will be appreciated lots
Thanks to LaCorpse, Hogopogo and JhoiJhoi for the amazing sigs
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide