Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Mobafire not loading most of the time

Creator: Ekki February 27, 2016 6:03am
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 1, 2016 6:46pm | Report
I edited the original post to include this quote:
Matt wrote:
Any info you can give about the exact time of day when you receive errors would help, as well as what you were doing when you got the error. What page were you loading, or what were you posting when the error occurred.

I'm guessing if it's a server load problem, refreshing multiple pages would only make it worse, right? For the time being, I'll have that in mind.
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 1, 2016 7:00pm | Report
Thanks for adding the quote! It will help :)

Well we have 6 powerful web servers (brand new, migrated only a couple months ago! and we should only really need 5 anyway - yay for overkill) behind a load balancer plus an already very powerful database server (about to get even more powerful) and some pretty aggressive caching. It's unlikely a few additional page reloads out of frustration will have a noticeable effect :) Unless somehow the page you are loading is going haywire and taxing the server extraordinarily hard, but that would be easily replicated at least!

So yeah don't worry about retrying the page if it won't load :) I'm also not seeing any obvious load issues so... I'm not even convinced that's the problem (yet), but we'll see!
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2016 12:49am | Report
You may have noticed MF went down for a lot longer at midnight tonight. I sped through the new server setup and ended up ready to do the migration tonight so we are now running from the shiny new DB server! I expect some hiccups over the next few days as we tweak the config but hopefully long term this helps.

Please continue to keep me posted about any slowness or issues loading pages!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2016 1:44am | Report
Awesome Matt! Great to hear :)
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Tauricus2017 ♡
jokersprank
<Member>
jokersprank's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2016 7:24am | Report
Matt wrote:
@jokersprank, your guide issue is completely unrelated. Something in your bbcode is crashing the parser, you must have hit some rare combination of tags that throws things off, perhaps too many nested tags or an unexpected combination as I suspect it may be an issue with PHP's recursion limit setting. I did enough digging on your guide to determine that much, and that it wasn't a quick fix. Unfortunately it's going to take a lot more digging to actually solve the issue so that will have to wait until the server issues are dealt with, I'm sorry to say :( Your guide is there, the edit page can be loaded, and the public version works, at least!

Thanks for answering! I figured out the problem. I did forget the "/" in a table and it crashed probably the site. The thing is the table was probably too huge and me forgetting the end tags made it worse.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2016 8:15am | Report
Thanks for answering! I figured out the problem. I did forget the "/" in a table and it crashed probably the site. The thing is the table was probably too huge and me forgetting the end tags made it worse.
Can we give him a badge for crashing the site with a guide table if this turns out to be the case? :P
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2016 1:42pm | Report
@jokersprank, oh great! Well, great that you figured it out, not that that broke your guide :( We use a third-party bbcode parser and there are some rare and specific situations I have found where it will just completely fail, unfortunately. I actually wrote our own bbcode parser that works much better, ages ago to replace it but, unfortunately getting the white space handling to work EXACTLY the same (and thus not breaking everyone's guide layouts) was a pretty huge task and I never quite had enough time to finish it so we're still stuck with this one. "Some Day" (tm).

The guide didn't crash the site though :) In this case it just crashed the bbcode parser on that one page. However, I HAVE had in the past certain things in bbcode that hung the parser so bad that if it was on a super high traffic page, it DID crash the whole site. We have some very weird protections in there for such situations. For example, if you type out a message that has little or no white space, the bbcode parser will get disabled because it occasionally chokes on such messages, so any bbcode in your message will just display as-is. Shh don't tell anyone :)

Also, so far so good on the new DB server. It does sound like we had some hiccups today, which I'm looking in to, but much less than over the last few days. I take it nobody in this thread has been having errors?
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2016 2:02pm | Report
Matt wrote:
Also, so far so good on the new DB server. It does sound like we had some hiccups today, which I'm looking in to, but much less than over the last few days. I take it nobody in this thread has been having errors?
I just had problems connecting from Chrome in my Android cell phone (the error 500 message). It was about 40 minutes ago, 18:19 here in Argentina, I guess it's -3 UTC.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2016 2:52pm | Report
I was getting the error 500 thing all day on my PC until I cleared my cache. On my laptop and phone it was working fine.
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2016 3:07pm | Report
I was getting the error 500 thing all day on my PC until I cleared my cache. On my laptop and phone it was working fine.

yeah, same. clearing cookies and cache fixed it though

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide