Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New Guide Design Feedback

Creator: Matt May 9, 2012 4:42am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2012 12:11am | Report
@Matt: I will try to give a simple example.

Currently my guide has all sorts of chapters. Pros/Cons, Runes, Masteries, Items, Skills, and whatnot. Now they are all on one page, which is okay. However if my guide were to be about a champion such as Sion or Twisted Fate, which are playable in multiple ways. I'd like to do this:

- Page1: AD TF
- Page2: AP TF
- Page3: on-hit TF

Instead of having to put them all on the same page. Also I would like to give those pages names, making it obvious for readers which one they have to click.

I hope I made myself a bit clearer but I doubt it ;D

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2012 12:21am | Report
That is exactly what we had before. Didn't you read the threads in the Vets and Editors forums? You could split your guide up into pages at will and title all the pages whatever you wanted, exactly as you describe.

In the end, the reception was poor and we weren't 100% happy with the way it worked so we pulled it at the last minute. It could still happen but, not with this release.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2012 12:24am | Report
I'm not wrathish, Ny knows I'm only playing. But I am annoyed anyone disliked the paging system.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2012 12:24am | Report
No, I have been a goofball :P Should have made better use of my brain xD

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2012 12:29am | Report
Matt, expecting 110% positivity about the new paging system was not realistic. Most of the downvotes probably came from aesthetically-minded people about the green skilling order, ie the cheat sheet.

The paging idea was great. It was EXACTLY what guides needed. With the addition of pages, an author could now write something more of a proper guide than a really short article. Information can span several pages and stuff can be skipped far easily than the current layout.

If you've completely given up on paging, at least consider something once suggested a million years ago: collapsible chapters (thanks to Flash, btw for spoilers, am going to try this in my Vayne guide to shorten it). If allowed, more than 90% of my guide would be collapsed. People could easier navigate the guide that way, by clicking on the titles of the chapters to read at will, instead of scrolling for hours to find something useful.

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2012 12:36am | Report
I don't know that using the spoiler in that way is wise. It hides content and search engines may penalize your guide as a result. Pretend that the content you are hiding behind a spoiler is invisible to search, because it could be, depending on how their indexing algorithms feel about it. Just a heads up. The spoiler is better used for actual spoilers, really, or perhaps collapsing some non-vital information like a large image or quote.

At the moment we are focused on ironing out the new design. To be fair, mixing a redesign with a paging system was probably unwise. Perhaps once the dust has settled on this we will do another poll about paging.

In the end, people are not walking away because we don't have pages. Do we need to risk people walking away because we added pages? Is it worth that risk. There were just too many questions and it was holding up progress in other areas, so in the interest of moving forward we pulled it.
Cubby1313
<Editor>
Cubby1313's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2012 12:41am | Report
Matt wrote:

In the end, people are not walking away because we don't have pages. Do we need to risk people walking away because we added pages? Is it worth that risk. There were just too many questions and it was holding up progress in other areas, so in the interest of moving forward we pulled it.

Beautifully said.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2012 1:07am | Report
Matt: People shouldn't have to use google to find my guide on MobaFire. And really, unless it affects MobaFire directly (less viewers because they can't find my Vayne guide, thus less visits to MobaFire) I personally have no problem about losing viewers on my guides. I was only going to spoiler things like mathamancy.

As for the paging; okay, whatever. I'm just trying to be as outspoken as those who disliked it, because they were able to stop the whole thing despite the hidden release in the vet forums, the more public release in the editor forums, and then the soft release in the support forums - with most of those steps liking the development.

Anyway, I'll no longer argue about it. I really don't care anymore. It'll either happen or it won't, I have no influence :P

♡ sig unintentional collab with Jovy and me ♡
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2012 1:16am | Report
Search Google for "Morgana Guide" and tell me what the second result is ;)

Regarding paging I see it from both sides. And I myself was torn on it. I love the idea of it but I wasn't happy with the implementation. I would still like to come up with a solution that makes everyone happy, but we just weren't there yet. We hear you, and we take your opinion into account jhoijhoi :) It just wasn't the right timing. I'm not going to stop thinking about it though, I will continue to try and come up with better solutions.
koksei
<Member>
koksei's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 10, 2012 1:23am | Report
didn't she say "shouldn't have to use google..." ?

and mb I am wrong or that's exactly what she means why is there no search function on mobafire.. if your guide isn't popular people have to google for the exact name or sth like that.

So um.. yeah the question is:
Why is there no search function?

~ Sig by Xiaowiriamu ~
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide