Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

This is democracy.

Creator: Alahric April 17, 2011 3:30pm
55 posts - page 3 of 6
FreestyleZer0
<Member>
FreestyleZer0's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:15pm | Report
Alahric wrote:

1- However, the issue still remains; Did the user not write it? Do note that personal property is defined by how much work individuals has dedicated to the it. I believe that to be our rights as users.

2- You need to understand that interupting people out of what you consider to be a discourse is just being rude on so many levels.

ok simple response ^_^

1- Personal property is defined by who owns the object (in this case the forums) which is the admin (or just some owner) and not the people who write stuff on it, they ALLOW you to write here, but that does not mean you own what you write here, if the mods (people assigned by THE OWNER) think something is against the rules then they have the right to act accordingly as asked by THE OWNER.

2- Interupting people who go against the rules is perfectly fine as they already broke the rules to begin with thus they wasted their ''rights'' to continue the conversation/flaming/trolling.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:16pm | Report
FreestyleZer0: I don't want it to seem as if the mods own the forums, because we don't. It's just that we can't afford to be so passive about thread derailing and off-topic rambling in threads that are supposed to be constructive. It's fun, and it promotes bonding between users, but it also lowers the quality of the forums and makes MOBAFire look bad as a site.
FreestyleZer0
<Member>
FreestyleZer0's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:20pm | Report
Well it's not that i'm trying to say you own it, i'm more trying to say that in those specific cases you are allowed to do so by the owner of the forums as the people are allowed to post mostly what they want by the owner for free, and it was more as a response to his (property) subject.
Alahric
<Ancient Member>
Alahric's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:29pm | Report
Scrax wrote:

So derailing any thread is perfectly fine unless the OP redirects them? Freedom of speech; Sure. But against the site rules; No.

If a member starts a thread that is dedicated to bash X member, that isn't allowed. But you're saying it is?
Shall we?

Quoted:
Topic Rules

Don't hijack threads, create your own. Keep topics on topic. This site is a place for fans of League of Legends to share battle strategy and discuss all things LoL. There is an off topic forum thread for anything that isn't related to League of Legends. Keep all the off topic stuff there.
No problems.

Quoted:
Bullying
While MOBAFire prides ourselves on letting you be you, there is always a line you can't cross. Excessive aggression, constant harassment, stalking or any other type of bullying behavior is not allowed. Speak your mind, but lets talk how we do in person, when someone can reach over the table and grab you by the collar :)
There is a silverlining here, people are allowed to speak their minds but at the same time we should prohibit the following. While it is well written and I agree with it, I can't really grasp the standard being used.

Quoted:
Adult/Illegal Material
No adult or illegal material of any kind including, but not limited to, video, pictures, links, discussion, or access information will be allowed anywhere on the site.
No problems.
Scrax
<Retired Moderator>
Scrax's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:33pm | Report
"Don't hijack threads". You hijack a thread when you go off-topic. So; Problem.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:33pm | Report
Quoted:
Keep topics on topic.

That's the big problem that we've been seeing. Let me link again:

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/forum/mobafire-support/excessively-derailing-threads-and-trolling-discussions-will-no-longer-be-tolerated-3841

It is the wish of the administrators that we no longer allow the excessive derailment of threads.
Alahric
<Ancient Member>
Alahric's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:34pm | Report

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/forum/mobafire-support/excessively-derailing-threads-and-trolling-discussions-will-no-longer-be-tolerated-3841

Matt has told us to crack down on derailing threads.

What's fine is off-topic discussion that's constructive. If a thread about a Shaco item build turns into a thread on counter-jungling after the main point has been answered, that's completely fine. But if it turns into an image-fest where people are posting pictures of cakes, then the mods need to take action. And frankly, the latter is what we've been seeing more than the former.
Thanks, that cleared one of my issues.
The question remains; should we lock a thread, give it a a warning, or ignore it?

Personally I think you should consider all three of them with one thing in mind; if people are posting, let them post (unless it's excessive).

Then again; what is excessive? See how unresolved this is with the public?
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:36pm | Report
Locking the thread is the first warning. It's been pretty effective, as most members have really cut back on the derailing and have improved greatly regarding constructive commenting when a thread is locked. That in and of itself is a warning, but if the behavior continues, a warning via PM is given, then a temporary ban if no change appears.
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:37pm | Report
I personally agree with the mods on this issue, the Admins clearly want to crack down on derailment and trolling. I don't see a problem with continuing a conversation after questions have been answered, but when a topic receives posts with little to nothing to do with the original topic I don't see a reason to keep it open, those posts belong in an off topic discussion.

When I see a thread start derailing, I try to get it back on topic, or reiterate a new direction for the original topic, usually citing eventual locking of the thread if we don't.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 17, 2011 5:41pm | Report
As was said earlier, if you EVER feel a thread was locked inappropriately you can use the report feature to ask that it gets unlocked, or if you want to ask an admin directly you can PM myself or Flash. We will always investigate any report or PM.

We do not want to stifle discussion in any way on this forum! The only reason we started cracking down is that the derailing was getting out of hand and we had MANY people ask us to start moderating this to prevent it. There was also a long discussion about this between the Vets, Alahric did you read that one?

I'm going to move this to the Support forum, that is a better place to discuss this. If you guys have feedback regarding what types of threads should and shouldn't be locked, let us know, we will always listen. The end goal is to make the forums a useful place for everyone, so obviously if people are unhappy with our level of moderation we can adjust it. That is why we started moderating more heavily in the first place, everyone asked us to :)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide