Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Some quick questions!

Creator: Enki December 10, 2010 2:31pm
1 2
Enki
<Member>
Enki's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2010 2:31pm | Report
I've played a few matches on a friends account ( level 15, I played 4 real matches, 8 more matches with bots ), and have just decided to make my own. Unfortunately of all the characters I played on his Account I liked Warwick and Corki ( Shaco/Jax and Ezreal to a lesser extent ) the most.

What do you suggest to me on how to build up IP ( or should I buy RP? ) to unlock these characters early on? Or are there characters that play similar to them that I can use to build up points?

What do people generally think of Warwick and Corki when they see someone pick them on a team? Are they nooby characters to use ( as I am an inexperienced player ) ?

Do these characters have a place on a team? Or are they more solo-oriented and useless in higher ranked play?

So for Warwick questions; ( as I play him the most so far )

When you kill blue golem/red lizard, are those buffs global on your team? Or just for yourself?

And, how important is the Baron buff? From the 2 real matches I've played with Warwick, everyone tells you that you suck, a lot, if you don't gank anybody early on. But they all shut up when you solo Baron at 10+. Unfortunately, I don't now what this means. I just have a lot of fun running around killing neutral creeps, pushing back weak players and destroying towers.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2010 2:42pm | Report
the best way to get ip is to play games. win at least once a day to get a nice bonus of 150 i believe. every week the freebies change so you'll have to see which ones are up.

ww is the jungler on a team. no questions about it. ww also is one of the easiest champions to pick up, not saying that hes a noob character but he is on the recommended list for a reason..
as for corki, he isn't played very often, but he would be a dps on a team.

buffs are just for you.

what ganking means is hiding in the bush next to a lane and popping out so your ally (and you) can kill them. jungling by itself and not ganking, doesn't exactly help that much to the endgame result (whereas if you gank, and kill the enemy, the tower can be taken down easier.)

the reason they shut up when you solo baron is that they get that awesome buff which is team wide.

hope this helps.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Enki
<Member>
Enki's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2010 2:50pm | Report
Would playing a different character be advisable as I get into the game more than? Shaco and Ezreal seem pretty fun, but were a little clunkier for me to use compared to Warwick, which makes sense as I didn't get to play a lot. Warwick's life steal stuff just makes killing creeps ridiculously easy.

I guess, what are a more experienced players thoughts on the characters I pick ( Shaco/Ezreal/Warwick/Corki ) in terms of actual usefulness vs novelty usefulness or subpar team synergy. And are there maybe hidden advantages that I may not have picked up on with Shaco/Ezreal/Corki?
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2010 3:00pm | Report
as i said ww is one of the few "recommended" heroes that are easier to play. nothing against anyone who plays them but they are made for the new people to get into the game easier.

shaco and ezreal got nerfed to the ground a while ago and havn't really had a chance to come back yet. so they're on the opposite spectrum of ww, where they take more skill to master and be awesome.

as for corki i havn't the slightest idea, i havn't played him. sorry.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2010 3:20pm | Report
I'm answering your questions assuming that you play Warwick as a jungler - as you should. If you're laning with Warwick, then nobody can help you.

The point is, never lane with Warwick. :P

Enki wrote:
What do you suggest to me on how to build up IP ( or should I buy RP? ) to unlock these characters early on? Or are there characters that play similar to them that I can use to build up points?

Since you're level 1, the best way to build up IP is just to play a bunch of games. Try each of the new champions every week, pick one or two you really like. Check out the 450 or the 1350 champs too if you're impatient about buying one. Unfortunately for me, the champion I liked was Anivia, so I had to save for about 8 levels before I could get the IP I needed. You never need to buy RP, but again, if you're impatient and are willing to spend a few bucks, go ahead and buy some.

Enki wrote:
What do people generally think of Warwick and Corki when they see someone pick them on a team? Are they nooby characters to use ( as I am an inexperienced player )?

Warwick isn't nooby, he's probably one of the best junglers in the game. You just don't see him that much in higher-level games because his late-game performance is mediocre, compared to other junglers like Amumu, Udyr, or Olaf. Corki isn't a noob champion - he actually used to be the best DPS carry in the game - but most people can't use him correctly so they call him bad. You'll find that at levels 1-15 there's a lot of whining and bad teamwork, but once you pass that barrier, people are generally more open-minded.

Enki wrote:
Do these characters have a place on a team? Or are they more solo-oriented and useless in higher ranked play?

Warwick's role is to jungle. As a jungler, he lets your team have two solo laners, meaning that they both level extremely quickly, while Warwick himself can level as fast in the jungle as your solo laners can, meaning that you have the advantage of 3 high-level champions to their one if they don't have a jungler. However, as I said before, you don't see WW that much late-game because of his less than spectacular late-game performance. You do, however, see junglers in essentially every ranked match.

Corki can find a place on a team as a ranged physical carry. He has a great armor reduction skill, a long-range skillshot ultimate, a chase, a flee, and a semi-blind AoE. You can wreak some serious havoc with Corki, as long as you level quickly (solo mid or take the 1v2 lane) and don't die.

Enki wrote:
When you kill blue golem/red lizard, are those buffs global on your team? Or just for yourself?

Only for yourself.

Enki wrote:
And, how important is the Baron buff? From the 2 real matches I've played with Warwick, everyone tells you that you suck, a lot, if you don't gank anybody early on. But they all shut up when you solo Baron at 10+. Unfortunately, I don't now what this means. I just have a lot of fun running around killing neutral creeps, pushing back weak players and destroying towers.

The Baron buff is extremely important - it easily changes the course of team fights and the game. The reason you're being called a noob is because as a jungler, you can't jungle all the time. You need to be able to escape the jungle for a minute or two to take down some overextended low-health champions, giving your team an edge. You're not being called a noob after you solo Baron because of the global buff, experience, and gold, and also because you, your mid carry, and your solo top have all outleveled the enemy team by about 3-4 levels. Ideally, you should be ganking frequently in addition to jungling - it takes practice.

Enki wrote:
Would playing a different character be advisable as I get into the game more than? Shaco and Ezreal seem pretty fun, but were a little clunkier for me to use compared to Warwick, which makes sense as I didn't get to play a lot. Warwick's life steal stuff just makes killing creeps ridiculously easy.

As a jungler, Shaco can be great at taking down Golem at level 1 and gaining an early edge. As a laner, Shaco deals great damage and harass. However, since his nerf, Shaco isn't really as advisable as he was before since he has a sub-par late game.

Ezreal, on the other hand, has insane ranged damage in all phases of the game. He's a little hard to play, but he's amazing if you play him correctly.

My advice for you is to try lots and lots of champions, even on your friend's account if you want, until you find one that you really like. Step one is always identifying the style you want to play - I love being a burst harasser, for example, so I play characters like Mordekaiser, Anivia, Leblanc, and Twitch.

Enki wrote:
I guess, what are a more experienced players thoughts on the characters I pick ( Shaco/Ezreal/Warwick/Corki ) in terms of actual usefulness vs novelty usefulness or subpar team synergy. And are there maybe hidden advantages that I may not have picked up on with Shaco/Ezreal/Corki?

In a game, actual usefulness is what's going to give you the victory. If you're playing for fun, then go for novelty. Team synergy is basically nonexistent early game and so you're going to want to pick a strong solo and team character that doesn't need to rely on his team. The only hidden advantages you haven't picked up are ones you will discover with practice.
Enki
<Member>
Enki's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2010 4:10pm | Report
Thank you both so much! I appreciate the advice.

Quoted:
You'll find that at levels 1-15 there's a lot of whining and bad teamwork, but once you pass that barrier, people are generally more open-minded.

This was noticeable. I'm really looking forward to getting up into the higher ranks!
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2010 4:57pm | Report
You want to look for a champion that can really accent the team. After all, it is a team game. At early (sumoner) levels though, you can carry a team nearly effortlessly if you pay atention (and especially if you are open-mined on forums).

Well, it seems as though you are going for carry/dps champs more than anything. You can look at all the listed champions and single out fighters from mages (exclude tanks and support) to find the champions you should start looking into first. As already said, just play a lot of champs and really get a feel for your playstyle and what champions work with that best.

And you can farm IP in quick custom games if you want. I do that with Soraka or Janna just because they push very well and I finish each custom game about 10-12 minutes. You get just as much as if you were to spend 30 minutes just to lose a normal (which you shouldnt expect), but its free.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 11, 2010 12:55am | Report
I pretty much agree with what others have said already, but I would like to add to something Jebus said.

Play the free heroes! If you don't know what a hero does and it's free, PLAY IT! The thing that makes you good at this game is understanding all the heroes and being able to predict how they will act. Knowing the enemy heroes is as important as knowing your own hero! Don't worry too much about doing well at this level. Almost everyone that's playing at low ranks are pretty bad because they are newbies just like you. Experiment and have fun!

This also gives that added bonus of maybe finding more heroes you like or are good at, and learning how different heroes contribute to the team. Some heroes are undervalued right now because they are hard to fit into a team composition. (Warwick is not one of these since he's a jungler and has a great ult, and like it has been said junglers are always beneficial to your team as long as the solo lanes can hold their own.)
JACN
<Member>
JACN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 11, 2010 9:59am | Report
Laning WW is better...

animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 11, 2010 1:04pm | Report
Mowen wrote:

I pretty much agree with what others have said already, but I would like to add to something Jebus said.

Play the free heroes! If you don't know what a hero does and it's free, PLAY IT! The thing that makes you good at this game is understanding all the heroes and being able to predict how they will act. Knowing the enemy heroes is as important as knowing your own hero! Don't worry too much about doing well at this level. Almost everyone that's playing at low ranks are pretty bad because they are newbies just like you. Experiment and have fun!

This also gives that added bonus of maybe finding more heroes you like or are good at, and learning how different heroes contribute to the team. Some heroes are undervalued right now because they are hard to fit into a team composition. (Warwick is not one of these since he's a jungler and has a great ult, and like it has been said junglers are always beneficial to your team as long as the solo lanes can hold their own.)

Thank you for knowing the main point of understanding LoL. :)
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide