Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Update: Normalized scores, vote changing, vote...

Creator: Matt August 4, 2010 5:55am
Alahric
<Ancient Member>
Alahric's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2010 8:44am | Report
Lets just let it rest for now.
It's a nice change, so why not give new people a chance?

Just give it time, they'll see..
Shrillex
<Veteran>
Shrillex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2010 12:47pm | Report
There are flaws but it does give the chance for new builds to shine. Still want negative vote = comment required.
aethidd
<Member>
aethidd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2010 2:16pm | Report
Alahric wrote:

Lets just let it rest for now.
It's a nice change, so why not give new people a chance?

Just give it time, they'll see..

Hmm, looks like you were right, I just got stung by the no comment downvote. =<.

Ah wells, ho hum.
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2010 4:25pm | Report
We want to see what happens after this system has been active for a bit. Our hope is that, given some time, things will even out.

As more people vote on that 24/24 build, do you think it will stay at 100%? If we force comments on down vote, what do you think will happen to that 24/24 build? I predict it will stay closer to 100%, because now down voting is a pain in the ***, but up voting is easy. The same number of people will up vote but less will down vote. The people that are spiteful and want to down vote you because it has somehow become personal are still going to do it though, they have already proven that they will go the extra mile out of bitterness.

The Facebook "like" system is another option we have discussed before. That still leaves us with the inability to fairly compare new and old builds. Sure you can restrict your search to the last x days but, I personally feel that's a little awkward. As a new user coming to this site, I probably just want to see the best builds, regardless of how old they are. However the older build will always win because it has had more time to amass "likes".

We are still considering a lot of options but none of them are perfect and none of them will make everyone happy unfortunately. This is why we haven't implemented any of these additional steps yet - every time we get to discussing them we find some kind of major flaw.
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2010 5:33pm | Report
Just did a small update. There is a new filter on the browse page that lets you set the minimum number of votes for your results. You can now sort by score and restrict it to, say, only builds with 50+ votes.

Additionally, the display of "score / votes" on browse and view build was a little weird. We've changed it now so it is properly showing "number of +votes / total number of votes".

Also fixed the broken "Top Rated" link in the top menu.
Dirty Goolash
<Veteran>
Dirty Goolash's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2010 6:05pm | Report
I think I liked the old system better, but I suppose i could give this one a shot. It just seems too confusing and different to me.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2010 6:15pm | Report
Well, it will always take time to adjust to a big change. Just think of this like a 5 star system that many sites use, but instead of 5 stars we're showing you the straight percentage.

Small update: We've added an extra "Votes" column to the build lists on the champion pages. This should make it easier to find the build you want from the champion's own page.
beck0610
<Member>
beck0610's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2010 6:33pm | Report
i really liked the old method, then i could see why a build had +50 votes, or had -50 votes. but i see the reasoning behind changing it. i really am a fan of the whole "liking" thing, as seen on facebook, but the 5-star rating system actually seems that it may be the best system, since i find builds that are so-so i dont feel that they deserve a thumbs up or down, but i also dont feel that they deserve the rating that they have (a high rating or a low one), but instead deserve an average score.
beck0610
<Member>
beck0610's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2010 6:47pm | Report
i tots forgot to say this, but i think that you should have the option to re-vote after a build has been updated. say its the first build some poor guy made, and it was horrible and the bad rating showed it. but after some quality comments, he changed it for the better. he now has to rely on new votes from new people to raise his score/percentage which most likely wont happen because his rating is so low no new people view it. i have no idea how hard that may be, but i think it may benefit newcomers more than a percentage based scoring system, imho.
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2010 7:03pm | Report
beck0610 wrote:

i tots forgot to say this, but i think that you should have the option to re-vote after a build has been updated. say its the first build some poor guy made, and it was horrible and the bad rating showed it. but after some quality comments, he changed it for the better. he now has to rely on new votes from new people to raise his score/percentage which most likely wont happen because his rating is so low no new people view it. i have no idea how hard that may be, but i think it may benefit newcomers more than a percentage based scoring system, imho.

You can :) If you read my original post I explain it. Vote changing is enabled, but any votes cast prior to August 1st are locked for various reasons. If a build author chooses to reset their build score, then you will be able to vote again and also change your new vote. But otherwise, those old votes prior to August 1st are locked.

Try voting on a build that you haven't voted on before and then change your vote, it should work fine!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide