Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Greatest Book?

Creator: MrCuddowls October 11, 2012 2:55pm
89 posts - page 6 of 9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2012 5:32pm | Report
Well, I can't believe no one brought up the Kingkiller Chronicles, such an interesting series, other then the third book, which is yet to be released. I find the progression of Kvothe, as well as how to story is told, and the content engages you as well entertains. The world is well crafted, included the Slums of the first city(Need to reread the series) and the whole system of magic.

I also enjoyed some of the Ender books, so many are there that I am not sure what they all are, however Enders Game and its direct sequel were extremely good and well written. Whenever I have some extra time I'll go and separate the different books into a stable order(chronologically) to read, as the story of Ender, and later on Bean, are ones that are not to be missed.

I enjoy many of PS Powers books, even though PS Power is a collection of authors. They all release fantasy books that are relevant to my interests, with special note to the Ancients Series, which contains quite a lot of sex in the second to fourth books, something that can disengage myself from the reading. My favorite of his books would be the Dead End series, which find a great way to combine zombies and fantasy in a compelling way.

Glenn Bullion is also a writer I enjoy, mainly for the stand-alone books he releases that share characters, allowing me to slowly build a universe in my head that gives me satisfaction. The main book in his universe that I enjoyed was Jack Kursed, a delightful tale of a man who hates people and cannot die.

Darren Shan, and his different collections of "horror" books are also books I enjoy reading. The Vampires Assistant was the series that got me into him, with me loving the mix of fantasy and reality. Other notable books include the Demonta series, and the City series. His style of writing, and great characters are always entertaining to read.

The Bowl of Souls is a recent series I started, and finished up to the unreleased last book, that I thoroughly enjoyed. More great worlds, with a simplistic explanation to magic that I rarely see, however approve of. The protagonist isn't features as often as I would like, but his circumstances demand that of the book.

The Advent Mage Cycle is another recent addition to my "read and enjoyed" list, and while the ending was not as stellar as I would like, the world, characters, and magic were good. While the main characters magic was limited compared to others, the author worked with it in a way that didn't make him any less interesting.

The Iron Druid series is a great series, and makes use of the religions on earth without offending any(except the Norse, but damn that Thor) and adds a great comedic twist to the genre of fantasy books.

The Psion Series, which I would have to classify as Sci-Fi, is another great series that takes us to the future. Not as advanced as one would expect, it instead focuses on what happens to humanity, and how the nations reform. While some America bashing does go on, the greatness of the protagonist more than makes up for it.

With many books in the category of heroes, mainly supervillians, I will not list them all. However, I like most books of this genre, for they often incorporate large amounts of humor, while retaining the ability to hit you where it counts. Such books as Blackjack Villain, and Supervillionus.

The Hungering Saga, by Heath Pfaff, is a large book, composed of the original smaller books that make up the story, is a great fantasy that brings you straight into the fold with an interesting hybrid concept. The history behind the book is intriguing, and the ending is heartwarming. The antagonist, while changing slightly, always seems dedicated and his side of view is interesting to say the least.

The Sorcerers Path is "up there" in my list of mage series, as the main character has extremely great development, and his will is astounding. The author could make him a librarian doing
normal librarian things and the book would still be amazing. The fact that the world and the other characters are great just amplify the awesomeness of the book.

The Mageborn Series is also great, for many reasons as the last series, however I enjoy this one for it has a lighter tone. While death is common in both, this one has much less, and the general direction of the book is much brighter.

The Scion of Abacus series, which should really be considered either one book or many novellas, are great for light reading, as the universe is great and the way the conspiracy unravels makes it a must read. The magic system is well developed and enjoyable.

The Hounds of Rowan Series was, and still is, a great collection of books. One of my favorite setting in books; being ruled by the god-like antagonist and just surviving, is played out very well, as well as my love for on campus setting books, making this series a no brainer to enjoy. The main character also displays great development, especially with his best friend developing in a peculiar manner alongside him.

The Cherub Series, a British realistic fiction series, is also a great read. This follows my love of on campus books, while adding in some espionage. The main character has great development, and his group of friends do as well. The teachers are enjoyable, and reading about general life is great.

Tom Clancy's books about military fiction, such as Dead or Alive, Executive Order, and The Bear and the Dragon, are all great books. Everything seems to be well researched, and another of my favorites setting(modern war) is played out, as well as government. My favorites among them are the ones that focus on Jack Ryan, because *******it he is Jack Ryan!

I enjoy other older books as well, however I am getting tired. The Lord of the Rings was an astounding read, as well as To Kill a Mockingbird, if just for Gandalf and Atticus, respectively. I also enjoyed the Inheritance Cycle, minus the last book, as it was a major let down. The first three books built up to a great conclusion, with the fans hoping for a great finish. However, it ends with a deux ex machina, and completely ruins the series. My hopes for this book were dashed after completing the last sub-par book. Here's to hoping that if Paolini continues writing, he can bring the idea of Dragon Riders back into glory.

Honorable Mentions: Artemis Fowl Series, Ranger's Apprentice Series, The Warriors Series, the Beyonders Series, The Books of Umber, The Lorien Legacies, The Blood of The Falcon, V1 and V2, The Chronicles of Terah, The Wardstone Trilogy, The Cor Chronicles, most of Toby Neighbors' work, The Renegade Series, The Song of Dragons series, The Percy Jackson and The Olympian Series, The Escape From Furnace series, The Spellmonger Series, The Brotherband Seires, and more that I would need some more time to remember.
Thanks to jhoijhoi for the awesome PsiGuard-loving sig!
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2012 7:26pm | Report
Ok I know there have been many examples of this, but I want a complete list of every fantasy book I should read. Stuff along the lines of Lord of the Rings and Ranger's Apprentice would be great. Just someone make a list of fantasy books and I will look into and probably read your suggestions.
FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2012 7:34pm | Report
Did you not read my post, because that is all you ever need.
Thank you Jovy for this bomb *** sig!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2012 3:07am | Report
I liked Across the Nightingale Floor. (which is classified as fantasy-ish)
It's part of a triology called Tales of the Otori.
Sittin' on chimneys, putting fire up my ***.

"I biked 12km in a blizzard today and mice are chewing on my chocolate bars. Life's good."
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2012 4:44pm | Report
MrCuddowls wrote:

Ok I know there have been many examples of this, but I want a complete list of every fantasy book I should read. Stuff along the lines of Lord of the Rings and Ranger's Apprentice would be great. Just someone make a list of fantasy books and I will look into and probably read your suggestions.

Just read a song of ice and fire. 5 books so far, 900 pages average per book.
Valkenhyn
<Member>
Valkenhyn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2012 6:51pm | Report
Along the lines of The Art of War, I enjoyed The Book of the Five Rings

I also enjoy Lovecraft's stories and Sherlock Holmes

though I must give an honorable mention to a book I loved from my childhood which i reread recently The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden...be it nostalgia or whatever, I love it
Acid Reigns
<Member>
Acid Reigns's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2012 7:11pm | Report
I liked 'The Lusty Argonian Maid' ;D

People are mentioning LoTR, but no Hobbit D:
Hobbit was a much better read imo. :3
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2012 7:39pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

Just read a song of ice and fire. 5 books so far, 900 pages average per book.

Will look into these books
they seem interesting
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2012 12:13pm | Report
what about eragon and that series.
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
EvilDice
<Shoutcaster>
EvilDice's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2012 12:45pm | Report
Mooninites wrote:

what about eragon and that series.

good but not great series. the first book is VERY good, but that leads to high expectations for the other books in the series, which they just dont live up to in some cases. in order i'd go

1. eragon
2. inheritance
3. eldest
4. brisingr

Thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the sig!

twitch.tv/dicetherice - @dicetherice
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide