Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

japan will never care about sexism; its a...

Creator: caucheka September 9, 2013 5:52pm
1 2
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2013 5:52pm | Report
ok well thats a bit misleading title but it was the original title of an interview with gavin moore, the creative dictator of puppeteer.

Quoted:
I: Why is (Kutaro) a boy? I mean, there is no option to change (him) to a girl, right?
M: No.
I: There has been a lot of talk lately about options, about gender, about the video games, so…
M: Well, you know, I did have a massive argument actually. We do mock reviews where we send it out to a service, right? Where they review the game for us. It’s not a real review.
I: Yeah, I know mock reviews.
M: And they tell us all the things, all the positives and negatives what they think, right? And they were telling me “Oh yeah, well it’s just a boy. Well it should be a girl” and it’s like, well no actually, look. I made the story. You don’t get to change Master Chief into a girl, do you? Doesn’t happen, right? And in Killzone I’m sure you’re not playing a woman, right? And, you know, in a fighting game, yes there are women characters and there are men characters but I think you’ll find that a lot of girls play the men characters and a lot of the guys play the female characters. So I don’t think it really matters. And in… and they were saying, “well Puppeteer, it’s so sexist”. And I was like “Puppeteer is not sexist”. The women in Puppeteer are really strong. You know, the witch and you know Pikarina the…
I: Fairy.
M: Fairy character. And that’s not her true stage. She’s been transformed into that by the Moonbearking. They’re really strong, all the women you meet in the game are. And so I had a big argument with them and said, well they didn’t know what they were talking about basically. Why do we want girls to play girls and why do we want boys to play boys? It’s just a story and it’s just something that we should do. So I should as a game creator start pandering to public opinion? Over what is correct? As soon as we start doing that we end up like America, we won’t be able to say anything ever again and it all be very PC and like… You know, to me, I grew up under a very strong mom.
I: Me too.
M: Right? So I know what women are all about. So women are strong and they’re not… So I should have made a little pink Kutaro, for girls to play?
I: No, we don’t have to exaggerate. I mean just, just a female. It doesn’t have to be pink. Kutaro doesn’t have to be red or blue or something. We don’t have to go that far. Just like, an option, just to have it there to maybe… It would cheapen your vision, I think, just-
M: I do too.
I: Because of all the chatter we have lately. Even Miyamoto gets the question. I mean he’s Miyamoto. Nobody would have questioned him (about) anything and now people are asking “Why isn’t Peach playable in every single Mario game?” So now I think we are at the stage right now with all this outcry we had on Twitter and all that FemFrequency and all that stuff that, as developer you have to answer the question. And, even if you don’t-
M: Like it? One way or the other? I don’t think we should do it.
I: I’m not saying you have to do it.
M: No no no, I’m not saying… In my opinion I don’t think we should. I think we should be making what we want to make and if somebody is upset by that than please don’t buy the product. (I don’t mean that) personally. As I said here, I grew up under strong women, I know how the women are strong and I love women, I think they are wonderful, but, I’m not going to change my creative vision over something because somebody tells me that that’s what’s important now. Because I don’t think that’s important. I tested this game with kids. Girls and boys. Not one of them has mentioned it. Not one of them cares. Now all of them had fun.
I: I feel like you don’t care. You don’t care (that Kutaro is) a boy, because it’s just the player.
M: Exactly. It’s exactly, that’s what it is. I mean, he doesn’t even speak. He has no personality. It’s just you. You just impose your personality on him and play as you. I mean you’re controlling him on the theatre on the stage, that’s what you’re doing.
I: Well, you know, we have this discussion right now-
M: Yes, interesting. Interesting. You see, I’m out in Japan and so I never hear any of this.
I: No? Is there no discussion whatsoever?
M: No discussion whatsoever. Nobody would even ask.
I: That sounds incredibly sexist from a western perspective.
M: It does, but from their perspective it’s like “What would the point be? Why would you even care if the character is male or female?” I mean they play around with very strong female characters, you know, looking at Bayonetta and all those sort of things.
I: Like Gravity Rush.
M: Right, Gravity Rush by Toyama-san, right? So, it’s just the character.
I: It’s a non-issue there.
M: Yeah.
I: Dou you feel like this could become an issue sometime, or are the cultural-
M: Never.
I: Never?
M: Never will they care. You think they have more to worry about with the nuclear meltdown and the chance of another earth quake and I don’t think….
I: Yeah…

frankly i can't agree more with moore.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 5:50am | Report
meltdowns op.

Sig made by Aquilegia
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 10:34am | Report
Now that the threat of Manbearpig has ended we stand before an even larger threat.
We better call Al Gore. Moonbearking is coming..
"I saw [Twilight: Eclipse] in theaters with a girl I was dating at the time. I spent more time staring at my toes and wiggling them than I did watching this abomination. When Edward proposed to Blank Face, I finally looked up with a revelation.
I blurted out loud, in a dead silent theater full of teenage girls on opening night "Wait a minute, Edward has no blood flow. How does he get an erection?" I heard several men laughing, and had several girls turn and stare at me.

I did not get laid that night." - Berengier817
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 10:42am | Report
Al gore is my hero and the leader of all scientific development as you know.

Moonbearking sounds frightening...guess i should finish my bucket list...only a matter of time.

Thanks to jhoijhoi for my signature!

Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 2:22pm | Report

Al gore is my hero and the leader of all scientific development as you know.

Are you like.... serious..?
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 3:03pm | Report
Quoted:

Of course he is!
Do you not fear moonbearking?
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 3:48pm | Report
Quoted:

i'm super serial.

Thanks to Hogopogo for my signature!

caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 7:44pm | Report
is anyone gonna contribute to the topic at hand?
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 8:13pm | Report
im pretty sure moonbearking is much more important than transgender japanese kids

also i didnt read the first post its too long
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 9:44pm | Report
I really think anyone who makes an issue out of genders in video games, movies, or books really has no point strong enough to listen to. The artist creates the story, and if in their head the main character is a boy then shut up and play as a boy, or vice versa. And why would you play as peach in every Mario game? It seems like feminists are trying harder and harder to convince the world that they aren't worth listening to.

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide