Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Need Help With Video

Creator: Re4XN August 26, 2015 2:26pm
19 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 26, 2015 2:26pm | Report
Here's the deal! My laptop is very good for playing games, but my laptop is kinda bad for playing games AND recording them (with stuff like FRAPS). I just can't record a game for my guide.

Then, earlier today I had this one idea. I could play a game and record my voice ONLY. Then I'd send my replay (not the video, my laptop can handle replays) to one of you, you'd record it and send the video back to me, where I overlap it with my recorded Audio. Purrfect!

Will this actually work? It also requires one of you to sacrifice himself for the greater cause (I need a voluntary). I probably won't be able to play this week, but I might be able to do this next week. Need opinions.

EDIT: I tried DXTory to record a game, it wasn't bad and I had no lag while playing, but the resulting video had some very serious lag spikes... I can't upload it like that...
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2015 4:27am | Report
Doing it through replays is needlessly complicated, time consuming and doesn't turn out well. Don't bother.
Have you tried with OBS yet?
What CPU and what GPU do you have?

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2015 4:49am | Report
I'm a little confused. You say you can't play and record (which is perfectly understandable), but your laptop can handle replays. Why send the replay to someone else to record it instead of doing that yourself then? Did you mean to say it can't handle replays (or is running a replay more intensive than I think it is, making it impossible to record at the same time)?

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2015 5:38am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:
I'm a little confused. You say you can't play and record (which is perfectly understandable), but your laptop can handle replays. Why send the replay to someone else to record it instead of doing that yourself then? Did you mean to say it can't handle replays (or is running a replay more intensive than I think it is, making it impossible to record at the same time)?

Recording a game while I'm playing ord recording a replay with, say FRAPS for instance, is the same thing (I tried), and my laptop can't handle it very well. I must send the replay to someone else with a better PC that can handle recording so that the video doesn't get laggy.

Searz wrote:
Doing it through replays is needlessly complicated, time consuming and doesn't turn out well. Don't bother.
Have you tried with OBS yet?
What CPU and what GPU do you have?

I know it's needleesly complicated, but it's the only way I can do it, since I am unable to record. I am not buying a new PC for the next 3 years (unless a miracle happens), AT LEAST. I will try out the program you mention, though.

Also, I believe CPU and GPU don't have a HUUUGE impact, the problem is with my hard drive (HDD). It's less than 7200 rpm, which is not the best for recording. Just in case, I have an Intel i7-4700MQ and a Nvidia 740m (it's a pretty bad combo, don't judge plz, I got this laptop really cheap xD ).

EDIT: Thank you kind sir for mentioning OBS, it really works wonders. It took a shietton of tweaking but the videos are smooth as silk. Looks like I'm gonna be able to record a video after all :) Thanks
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2015 9:11am | Report
I don't know who told you your hard drive was the bottleneck, but in my humblest of opinions that's the best piece of ******** I've heard in a good while. I'm not a hardware person though.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2015 11:44am | Report
I don't know who told you your hard drive was the bottleneck, but in my humblest of opinions that's the best piece of ******** I've heard in a good while. I'm not a hardware person though.

When you are recording, the video is being written to the hard drive, no? At least, that's one of the things people over the Web mention. The other core part of recording is a good processor, but I think mine is more than enough xD
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2015 11:59am | Report
So you're suggesting that copying a movie from one hard disk to your hard disk (connection and other hard drive form no limit) takes longer than the playtime of the movie? If you'd copy it over USB 2.0 it'd probably still be faster. Now, I know there's fragmentation and I know it's not just a simple case of "copying the screen state to the hard drive", also the movie from the copying example is compressed, furthermore the drive is used by multiple processes, but I'd still be surprised.

Not that I still need to prove my point since OBS managed to do it perfectly fine ^^'

But maybe someone more knowledgeable on the topic at hand could tell me I'm stupid if I am? Would appreciate it if that's the case.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2015 12:07pm | Report
I think hard drive speeds can be a bottleneck if you're recording at super high bitrates, but not for standard-definition or HD content. I record my stream footage to a old, mechanical hard drive and I have no issues at all.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2015 12:26pm | Report
Re4XN wrote:
Also, I believe CPU and GPU don't have a HUUUGE impact, the problem is with my hard drive (HDD). It's less than 7200 rpm, which is not the best for recording. Just in case, I have an Intel i7-4700MQ and a Nvidia 740m (it's a pretty bad combo, don't judge plz, I got this laptop really cheap xD ).

EDIT: Thank you kind sir for mentioning OBS, it really works wonders. It took a shietton of tweaking but the videos are smooth as silk. Looks like I'm gonna be able to record a video after all :) Thanks

Oh, I'm mainly asking to know which encoding options you will have available to you.
Intel and Nvidia both have hardware encoding that works with OBS.

What are your encoding settings?

I went with Nvidia's encoder because Intel Quick Sync caused audio sync problems for me.

I'm using the "Nvidia NVENC" encoder at quality balance 8, 15000kb/s VBR (Variable BitRate) with audio at 128kb/s, 44.1kHz and AAC format. I really recommend turning the "Use CBR" (Constant BitRate) option off for local recording. These settings are all in the "Encoding" tab, but more options can be found in the "Advanced" tab.
Make sure you have CFR (Constant FrameRate) turned off. There are a lot of different encoding options in the "NVENC Preset" drop-down. I found the best results with "High Performance Low Latency (2pass)". Very little performance impact with good quality balance.

I can also teach you a bit about video transcoding if you'd like. It's very useful for videos you'd like to keep on your PC as it can reduce file sizes by half with very little loss in quality.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F Roberts
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2015 12:31pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:
I think hard drive speeds can be a bottleneck if you're recording at super high bitrates, but not for standard-definition or HD content. I record my stream footage to a old, mechanical hard drive and I have no issues at all.

Yeah, pretty much. Most older harddrives are even at their slowest capable of 30mb/s, which is enough for decent quality 2160p (4K) video and plenty enough for super high quality 1080p video.
I go with 15mb/s (15000kb/s) myself, because beyond that the files get a little too large.
(VBR tho, so with little movement the bitrate can go down to even as low as 5mb/s)
Sittin' on chimneys, putting fire up my ***.

"I biked 12km in a blizzard today and mice are chewing on my chocolate bars. Life's good."
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide