Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Phoenix Udyr or Tiger Udyr - why not have both?

Creator: Knee August 23, 2011 4:30am
Knee
<Member>
Knee's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2011 4:30am | Report
I'm new to Udyr, and I was just wondering why people have to go either/or. By grabbing 4 points in bear and 4 points in turtle, you can have tiger AND phoenix maxed out. Or you can grab 3 points in bear and still maintain the tankiness that Udyr loves. Thoughts?
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2011 4:39am | Report
I myself max Phoenix first for the obvious jungle speeds, but I do as you mention, usually, and take 3 points in bear.
samgoeslol
<Member>
samgoeslol's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2011 4:41am | Report
phoenix udyr just means that you jungle with your phoenix earlygame. same goes for tiger...
but you WILL want to have 5 points in turtle always because its just so good in every situation. Bearstance ppl can argue about
saintvicious only puts 3 points into it but i believe in alot of games you will want to have 5 because this is your initiation skill
greez sam
<-summonername on EUW: strawhatbro
check out my blog
+rep if you like my posts^^
watch my stream
follow me on twitter and facebook
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2011 8:09am | Report
Phoenix is a tankier playstyle while Tiger is more of a burst style. In early game you definitely want to be maxing these first and I would always rather have Turtle and Bear maxed than 2 extra ranks in Phoenix/Tiger for a little more damage.
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2011 8:18am | Report
When i play Udyr, i go almost full AD with little AtS.

I will dance between tiger/turtle/bear depending on what i need in order to keep up Bridge Between.

Tiger is a lot better damage with the items i build, so i leave pheonix at 3.

I've seen people leave bear @ 3, but they usually buy a Trinity Force for the move speed.
Tri lane for life.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2011 9:24am | Report
Having Blazing Stampede maxed out is good for the mobility. Do not underestimate the constant speed-boosts you can receive from it. It's your only method of gap-closing if Flash is down.

Iron Mantle is the best skill on Udyr, you always want it maxed.
Why do you think people debate between tiger and phoenix? Because Turtle isn't even a question. The repeated shields and resource returns are incomparable.

Phoenix is better in my opinion. If you do the math, Wingborne Storm will deal just as much damage relative to Wilding Claw even on a single target.
It's damage is just hidden on the persistent effect, so the damage is stretched as a DPS and not as impressive looking. The damage also increases proportionally if the AoE strikes multiple targets.

Also, did you know that Wingborne Storm gives AP and AD? A good amount of people do not.
The stat boost means if you switch from Phoenix to Turtle, your shield will be stronger. And likewise, switching from Phoenix to Tiger will make your attack-effect stronger too.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
wolffsasquirrel
<Member>
wolffsasquirrel's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2011 9:35am | Report
When I come Gank out of Jungle I always go from Bear, to Phoenix into Tiger for that extra AP/AD from Phoenix to boost the Tiger's first hit. I play a basic hybrid Udyr in the most sense. It has great survivability as well as great utility, while also keeping great dmg output. Working on different Jungle Patterns currently to see which is better, coming out at 3:30'ish lvl 4 while everyone is lvl 2 or coming out at lvl 5/6 when their lvl 3/4. I prefer lvl 4 vs 2 personally, and I will get to lvl 5 v 2 if things go perfectly.
BusDriver210
<Member>
BusDriver210's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 5, 2011 7:42pm | Report
Phoenix and Tiger are both needed to play Udyr. Grab phoenix for quick jungling. Rank it up as your main until level 7. After 7 focus on tiger. You want to open your combat with Tiger, but quickly switch to bear stance to apply both effects on one auto attack. After you stun them shift into Phoenix and proc your cone. Tiger will unleash fear because of its burst and phoenix will do AOE damage while they run from you.

Ranking Bear is situational. Are you needing a quicker initiation? If so you might want to put more points into bear than phoenix. (phoenix's late game scaling is poor so you can opt out at rank3)

Its really up to you and your personal feel on Udyr. I usually end up with these ranks: 5 tiger, 5 phoenix, 4 turtle, and 4 bear. Remember that Udyr is VERY rune dependent. Grab AS marks and quints for a really nice jungle and grab magic resist plvl glyphs. Seals are up to you, but i like dodge chance.
+Rep me if i'm useful!
AbbaPanda
<Member>
AbbaPanda's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 5, 2011 7:45pm | Report
Going Tiger/Phoenix hybrid isn't the greatest idea because tiger gives you natural attack speed so you focus on damage, while phoenix gives the (AMAZING) aoe splashes, you need attack speed so that you can have the most splashes a second.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 6, 2011 3:35am | Report
^+REP FOR THE DEADMAU5 AVATAR
Bloofyre wrote:
May a squadron of beautiful vaginas find their way to your crotch by day's end.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide