Kennen Build Guide by TechnicalReality
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Recommended Runes + Notes
From the base + Notes
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello all! I'm TechnicalReality, and this is my first build here on MobaFire. So, Without further ado, let's get into what's happening in this build guide.
Basically what I am attempting with this guide is to bring back the old ADC Kennen. I know that Riot nerfed him slightly, but hey, some champions have it worse right? The only real nerf made to him was his range, and I think that's what scared away players from choosing him again. Honestly though, his range is the same as Vaynes, the same as Kennens Slicing Maelstrom range, and it is in fact higher than Graves' range, believe it or not. Another thing that you will get from almost everyone that you play with is that "Kennen adc doesn't work. It's a stupid idea. Don't play it." THEY ARE WRONG . Kennen ADC works miracles in both normal and ranked play! Do not let anyone discourage you from playing him the way that YOU want to. So, let's head on into the pro's and con's of this malicious little carry.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
The Proof Is In The Game
These are some of my most recent games with Kennen. Have a look, even though I lost most of them, I did very well in terms of score, objectives, and farm. If you guys have any photo's of your recent games with Kennen using my build guide, then send them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some of the common terms used in this guide may not be familiar to you, so here I will list them out:
CC: CC is Crowd Control, basically anything that will slow you, stun you, and disable you in general. Hard CC is long stuns or multiple stuns in a row, OR it can be very heavy slows like those from Nasus.
CS: CS is creep score. This is how many monsters, minions, and pet kills that you have achieved during the fight. Gaining CS is referred to as Farming.
AA: An AA is an auto attack. It is just right clicking any form of hostile or passive being in the game that is not your ally.
MR: MR is magic resist. This has a mathematical formula which I have 0 understanding of that will end up reducing the amount of damage taken from abilities that use magic as their source of damage.
AP: AP is Ability points. A mage champion, such as Kennen, will benefit from AP in the sense of gaining damage on his abilities. These abilities may or may not use magic damage, but they will scale from AP regardless. Magic resist will counter this form of damage.
AD: AD is attack damage. No, not an advertisement, attack damage is the amount of damage transferred to a champion from an enemy auto attack. This being said, AD can also empower abilities by scaling their damage from attack damage. This being said, AD can also scale abilities such as Twisted Fate's abilities, but they can deal magic damage, it is not limited to physical damage. Armor will counter this form of damage.
AS: As. Ahhh, AS. AS is short for attack speed, and is highlighted in orange because it is going to be the main attribute for Kennen's damage. Of course, AD is always going to add on to this, but with Kennen's W, AS is our friend. The more that we can proc that W, the more damage we get out.
This concludes the basic terms that I will use in this guide. If there are any mistakes in here, or if I am missing some terms, please let me know and I will have it fixed.
Pros / Cons
Pros / Cons
+ Super fast(With E)
+ Unconventional, so you can bait out that early mid pick for your team.
+ Amazing damage output with W and AS
+ Major stuns
+ Unexpected 1v1 situations can be easily won
+ AMAZING Early game. I cannot stress the amazingness of his early game capability.
+ Has small Shurikens with a huge punch
Kennen IMO, has the BEST early game capability out there. He can easily stun the enemy, do tons of damage, and then get back out without breaking a sweat. As I said earlier, you can easily win a 1v1 situation even against a strong opponent such as Graves or Vayne. His stuns are a beast, they are very worth learning how to manage.
- VERY susceptible to CC
- Decently low HP pool
- Can be squishy without armor
- Harder than a normal ADC to learn
- Shorter than Tryndamere's sword
He can be very squishy and easily focused in a team fight, but unfortunately for us, his E requires him to be in the middle of the fight in order to do any real damage. CC is your worst nightmare when playing as Kennen, so make sure not to get caught without a teammate or two if the enemy has high CC capability. His armor problem can be fixed if you grab a Zhonya's Hourglass but it would not fit in with the build very well. I will work on this problem for the next update.
|I usually run these masteries, 21/9/0, for the purpose of getting Kennen an early advantage with Fury for AS and Weapon Expertise for bonus AR.Pen. I will go into more detail with this in a coming update.|
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: I use this Quintessence to get some extra damage for last hits as well as for early fights.
- Greater Mark of Armor Penetration: Running this Ar.Pen rune will give you a MAJOR leap in damage output, it is highly noticeable especially if you play with no runes at all compared to this tad bit of Ar.Pen.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: Taking these glyphs will greatly increase your resistance to abilities that use AP, such as Sona's Hymn of Valor. These glyphs are mainly for protection against support champions' harass.
- Greater Seal of Armor: Taking these seals will really put an end to the heavy damage taken from the harass from enemy AD champions, as well as for farming minions just in front of the turret to stop them from being taken by it.
Flash: ALWAYS. 'Nuff said.
Ignite: Ignite is more of an interchangeable spell, you could switch it out for something else, but I HIGHLY recommend it for the bonus damage.
Cleanse: Cleanse is another viable choice, but I don't really use it, considering that not many people use ignite anymore to ADC. It would be helpful if, suppose the enemy team has Veigar, Taric, ESPECIALLY Leona. Test it out for yourself, but remember to always take flash with you. It's a life saver and game changer!
- Mark of the Storm: This is Kennen's passive, Mark of the Storm. This is a very unique passive, as it is more of an ability passive rather than a passive that directly benefits the champion. This ability will place charges on the enemy which can be applied either through any of Kennen's active abilities, or through his amazing passive on hit effect from Electrical Surge. This ability can be activated if there is a mark of storm on a nearby enemy, OR it will passively add one mark every 5 basic attacks. On top of this great passive, adding a mark, it will also deal 80% EXTRA DAMAGE! That is, 80% of your AD as bonus damage AS WELL as applying a charge.
- Thundering Shuriken (Q): Thundering Shuriken is Kennen's Q ability. This isn't the greatest for damage on an ADC Kennen, but it gets the job done by adding another mark of the storm in a pinch. It does not pass through enemies, but rather it will damage and mark the first enemy hit.
- Electrical Surge (W): This, my friends, is Kennen's bread and butter. This sweet little thing right here is what you will want to max first, followed by Lightning Rush. This amazing ability is quite unique as well as far as abilities go. It will give Kennen a passive ability, that every 5th basic attack, one mark of storm will be applied on the next attack. BUT. Here's the thing, this passive can be activated by Runaan's Hurricane, SO. Every technically 2 hits will apply a mark, if there is at least 2 other targets for Runaan's Hurricane to hit. This, paired with the insane AS from Kennen will have you stunning people all over the place. This can also be activated for a small amount of extra damage if the targets are marked with Kennen's passive and will add yet ANOTHER mark of the storm.(For ADC Kennen, anyway. It does a lot for AP Kennen.)
- Lightning Rush (E): This is Kennen's E ability, lightning rush. It will basically turn you into Flash. It allows you to run ridiculously fast, pass through minions/champions/monsters, and as you pass through or come in contact with anything, that target will have a mark of the storm applied to them. These marks can activate Electrical Surge for adding another mark as well as dealing damage. This ability is to be maxed second, and Thundering Shuriken is last.
- Slicing Maelstrom (R): So we get to the ultimate. Kennen's ultimate, Slicing Maelstrom, will be useful beyond belief in team fights. This thing will activate a thunderstorm that follows Kennen around at 550 range, which is the same as his attack range, and will add 1 mark of the storm every fraction of a second, as well as dealing damage to them. These marks accumulate so quickly that you might as well stun them with marks beforehand and then come in with this to stun them as they try to flee(Which they never do). It also has a nice cost of 0 energy, so it can be used all the time, and I'm not sure about you guys, but it seems to me like this thing is always available to me, Even though the CD is 120 seconds.
Ability Sequence Order
|Alright. So this skill sequence comes in to play, because of the damage that an ADC Kennen will gain from his W's passive, Electrical Surge. It gives him 80% of his AD as bonus damage on every 5th attack, and it adds a Mark of the Storm. Who doesn't want that? But as I mentioned before, this passive can be procced from Runaan's Hurricane, so if there are multiple targets, the passive will be every other attack rather than every 5th. This will stack up marks so fast that in a 1v1 situation, nobody will be able to move if you are keeping on them the whole time and they're near minions. If they are secluded, it will still only take 2 seconds or so to stun them JUST from basic attacks. Pair this with abilities and you're got one stun locked adc. Lightning Rush comes second, not because it is less useful, but because we need the 80% extra damage from his W first. It will make you much faster when running so use it to disengage or avoid ganks, as well as to catch up to say, a fleeing Ezreal. Q is last, because Thundering Shuriken as you can see, only deals damage based on AP. But, we still want an early point in it because of the Mark of the Storm proc on it. And obviously, the ultimate is self explanatory.|
|These boots are my personal favorite, because of mainly the 25% AS from it, especially for the price. It is a game changer in the laning phase.|
|So, I choose to go with IE next, or BT, depending on how the game is going. But, the reason behind the IE is not only the immense damage jump in it, but for the critical strike chance as well as damage boost to 250% from 200%. This will work in synergy with Frenzy, making Kennen's AS spike with every critical strike.|
|This item is more of a conditional item in regards to the purchase order. If I am doing very well and have extra money to get a BT AND another BF sword, then I will get a BT before the Infinity Edge. Otherwise, I will go IE first. This will greatly improve Kennen's sustainability both in fights and lane. Taking a vampiric scepter early will help the laning phase as well.|
|Nashor's Tooth. This item has been hard for me to choose, because it is such a great item to have on an ADC Kennen, but it doesn't have the crit chance that the Phantom Dancer does. It's hard to say which is better, but 9/10 games I will go with this over the PD.|
|Runaan's Hurricane is my absolute MUST HAVE item for ADC Kennen. There is NO exceptions to this item, you will use it EVERYTIME. This thing will proc your Electrical Surge passive in half the hits that you would normally. Plus it gives you insane amounts of AS, 70% to be exact. There is just nowhere to go wrong with this item.|
|This one will be less of Frozen Mallet and more of just survivability items in general. Personally though, I do go with FM most of the time. Other times I will take Rylai's Crystal Scepter. Occasionally, Warmog's Armor. It all depends on how the game is looking. For extra ap, go with Rylai's Crystal Scepter, for immense health, Warmog's Armor. For damage go for the Frozen Mallet. But the last item I rarely ever use. The Black Cleaver is one that I tend to steer away from, solely because it has some hp, but it's mostly for damage and Ar.Pen.You could use it if you wanted more AA damage, but Frozen Mallet is a better choice in my honest opinion.|
|There really is not a lot to say in this category. Kennen is great in team fights if you don't get caught in the very center of them. Just learn to stand back a bit and focus the enemy carries before all else, and you're set. This being said, don't tunnel vision a half hp Soraka just because you see Miss Fortune walk in to the fight late. Go mainly for the very very low hp champs first, just to get fed, and then the carries.|
Kennen is a spectacular farming machine. I average about 320 CS each game with him, without even focusing on farming. Just having creeps accumulate and you run in there in Lightning Rush, then finish it off with Electrical Surge and pick off the remaining creeps will get you insane amounts of gold and fast too. It just happens, no need to think about it. I normally outfarm my lane by at least 50 CS within the first 15 minutes of the game. Harass is your friend, especially with your Electrical Surge passive. Deny the enemy farm and take it for yourself and you will easily win the farming game.
In conclusion to this guide, I would like to say thank you to all of those who have left me creative feedback and a vote, as well as those taking the time to read my entire guide. I have put a lot of effort into this, playing loads of games as Kennen, fighting with my teammates because they think that it is never going to work, and then proving them wrong when I carry them. I hope that you guys can achieve the same with the help of my guide, and please leave me a vote, up or down, which ever you see honestly fit. Leave a comment on some things that you liked, maybe some that you didn't like, and tell me anything that I missed. Thanks again guys, I will see you in my next guide.
I would also like to give a warm thank you to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Keep it up guys!